Finding the coordinates and distance of this drawing

In summary, the conversation is about finding the coordinates and distance of a point P(s,t) on a vector A, using a drawing provided. The formula for finding the distance between the origin and point P is used, but there is confusion about how to simplify the formula and how it relates to finding the coordinates of P. The conversation also includes discussing the slope of the vector OA and how it can be used to solve for the coordinates of P and the length of OP. There is also mention of using the coordinates of B and P to find the slope of BP and solve for the coordinates of P.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm having problems figuring out the distance and the cordinates of the point P(s,t). The directions are in the drawing posted. I'm not sure if i drew the picture right though. I used the distance formula to find the distance between the origin i named <x,y> and the point P(s,t) which is on the vector a = <x1,y1>. But i might have screwed that up too because I assumed its the midpoint of the vector. I don't know how I'm suppose to simplfy |d| in the drawing. Once that's simplified I'm also confused on how that is going to tell me the coordinates of P. Thanks,

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/654150/0/nouser_654/T0_-1_654150.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You didnt't attach it.

Sorry about that, thanks for the info, it is now attached!

P is a point on the vector A, so P's position vector is given as a fraction (or multiple) of the position vector of A. i.e. OP = λ(x1,y1).

If P were the mid-point of OA (which it isn't) then you would have λ = ½.

You can work out the slope of OA (=m, say) using the coords of A and you know that BP is perpindicular to OA, so you can write the slope of BP in terms of m. You can also work out the slope of BP using the coords of P and B. Now solve for λ, and you can then work out the coords of P and the length of OP.

thanks for the reply but I'm lost.
You can work out the slope of OA (=m, say) using the coords of A and you know that BP is perpindicular to OA, so you can write the slope of BP in terms of m. You can also work out the slope of BP using the coords of P and B. Now solve for λ, and you can then work out the coords of P and the length of OP.

Where is the point OA coming from? by OA do u mean the vector O standing for origin and A for the a vector? So your saying set BP, B is a vector <x2,y2> and P is a point with coords (s,t) = m. Am i allowed to do this? BP = (y2-t)/(x2-s); or are u not talking about m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)?

1. How do I find the coordinates of a point in a drawing?

To find the coordinates of a point in a drawing, you can use a coordinate plane or grid. Start by identifying the x-axis and y-axis of the drawing. Then, count the number of squares the point is located from the origin (where the x-axis and y-axis intersect). The first number in the coordinate pair represents the x-coordinate and the second number represents the y-coordinate.

2. Can I use a ruler to find the coordinates of a point in a drawing?

Yes, you can use a ruler to find the coordinates of a point in a drawing. Use the ruler to measure the distance of the point from the origin on both the x-axis and y-axis. The measurements will give you the x-coordinate and y-coordinate of the point.

3. How do I calculate the distance between two points in a drawing?

To calculate the distance between two points in a drawing, you can use the distance formula: d = √[(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2]. Substitute the x and y values of the two points into the formula and solve for d. This will give you the distance between the two points.

4. What is the purpose of finding the coordinates and distance of a drawing?

Finding the coordinates and distance of a drawing can help you accurately plot and measure points on a coordinate plane. This is useful in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and geography. It can also help you analyze and interpret data in a visual representation.

5. Is it possible to find the coordinates and distance of a drawing without a coordinate plane?

Yes, it is possible to find the coordinates and distance of a drawing without a coordinate plane. You can use other methods such as measuring with a ruler or using the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance between two points. However, a coordinate plane provides a visual representation that can make it easier to find and plot coordinates.