How much mechanical energy is lost in a car-truck collision?

In summary: The online homework service allows for a +/- 1% error. We don't have to worry about sig figs. I agree that the underlying assumption is that the road is frictionless. I was able to use the conservation of momentum in order to figure out the velocity of the truck and i understand that kinetic energy is lost due to sound, heat, deformation, etc.In summary, the car loses 51813 Joules of energy in the collision.
AdnamaLeigh
A 991kg car traveling initially with a speed of 32.2m/s in an easterly direction crashes into the rear end of an 8650kg truck moving in the same direction at 17.8m/s. The velocity of the car right after the collision is 10.4m/s to the east. How much mechanical energy is lost in the collision? Answer in J.

I already solved for the velocity of the truck after the collision: 20.298m/s.

I did Mech Energy = Initial kinetic energy - final kinetic energy

Initial
Ke= .5(991)(32.3)^2 + .5(8650)(17.8)^2 = 1887283.195J

Final
Ke= .5(991)(10.4)^2 + .5(8650)(20.298)^2 = 1835531.357J

The difference between the two is 51751.838J and it's incorrect. I've checked my math too many times and I still get the same answer. Or is the answer supposed to be -51751.838J? I figured that since they said "energy is lost," they only wanted the magnitude of energy lost. I'm stumped.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 766
Physics news on Phys.org
AdnamaLeigh said:
A 991kg car traveling initially with a speed of 32.2m/s in an easterly direction crashes into the rear end of an 8650kg truck moving in the same direction at 17.8m/s. The velocity of the car right after the collision is 10.4m/s to the east. How much mechanical energy is lost in the collision? Answer in J.
I already solved for the velocity of the truck after the collision: 20.298m/s.
I did Mech Energy = Initial kinetic energy - final kinetic energy
Initial
Ke= .5(991)(32.3)^2 + .5(8650)(17.8)^2 = 1887283.195J
Final
Ke= .5(991)(10.4)^2 + .5(8650)(20.298)^2 = 1835531.357J
The difference between the two is 51751.838J and it's incorrect. I've checked my math too many times and I still get the same answer. Or is the answer supposed to be -51751.838J? I figured that since they said "energy is lost," they only wanted the magnitude of energy lost. I'm stumped.
There is an underlying assumption that the road is frictionless so that momentum is conserved.

It may be just a significant figure problem. KEi = 1887 KJ. KEf = 1836 KJ. The difference is 51 KJ.

AM

The online homework service allows for a +/- 1% error. We don't have to worry about sig figs. I agree that the underlying assumption is that the road is frictionless. I was able to use the conservation of momentum in order to figure out the velocity of the truck and i understand that kinetic energy is lost due to sound, heat, deformation, etc.

I still don't know...

AdnamaLeigh said:
The online homework service allows for a +/- 1% error. We don't have to worry about sig figs. I agree that the underlying assumption is that the road is frictionless. I was able to use the conservation of momentum in order to figure out the velocity of the truck and i understand that kinetic energy is lost due to sound, heat, deformation, etc.
I still don't know...
I get: Initial KE = 1887283 J. Final KE = 1835452 J.
The difference is 51813 J. So your answer is correct. Don't worry. Sometimes the given answers are wrong.

AM

1. What is mechanical energy lost?

Mechanical energy lost refers to the amount of energy that is converted to a form that is not useful for performing mechanical work. This can happen due to friction, air resistance, or other factors that cause a decrease in the energy of a mechanical system.

2. How is mechanical energy lost?

Mechanical energy can be lost through various processes, such as heat transfer, sound production, and deformation of materials. These energy losses are often due to forces acting against the motion of an object, causing a decrease in its kinetic energy.

3. What are some examples of mechanical energy lost?

Some common examples of mechanical energy lost include the sound produced by a moving vehicle, the heat generated by a spinning machine, and the deformation of a spring when compressed or stretched. These are all forms of energy that are not available for performing useful work.

4. How can mechanical energy loss be minimized?

Mechanical energy loss can be minimized by reducing friction between moving parts, streamlining the shape of objects to reduce air resistance, and using materials that are less prone to deformation. Proper maintenance and lubrication of machines can also help to minimize energy loss.

5. Why is it important to consider mechanical energy loss?

Considering mechanical energy loss is important because it affects the efficiency and performance of mechanical systems. The more energy that is lost, the less work can be done by a system, leading to increased energy consumption and potentially higher costs. By minimizing energy loss, we can improve the overall efficiency of machines and reduce their environmental impact.