Limits- using L'hopital's rule

In summary, the limit of the given equation as x tends to 0 cannot be found by simply differentiating the numerator and denominator separately. Squaring both the numerator and denominator may lead to a limit of 1, but [tan (x^1/2)]^2 is not equal to tanx. It is important to note that the given equation is not an equation, as there is no "equal" sign present. Additionally, using \pi as a substitute for x does not necessarily result in a limit of 0, as \pi tends towards 0 instead of x.
Jenkz

Homework Statement

Lim tan (x^1/2)/ [x (x+1/2)^1/2 ]
x-> 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to differentiate both the denominator and numerator seperately but this just seems to complicate the whole equations and I still get a limit of 0.

I had an idea to square everything, in which case I get a limit of 1. However, I do not think [tan (x^1/2)]^2 = tanx

Please help? My friend and I have been trying to work this out. It isn't homework, merely revision and further understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
You must have made an error while differentiating, the limit is not 0.

[tan (x^1/2)]^2 is not the same as tanx. Try [itex] x = \pi [/itex]

My mistake, the equation is

tan (x^1/2)/ [x (1+1/x)^1/2 ] sorry

I'll try your hint, and have another go at differentiating it. Thanks.

Jenkz said:
My mistake, the equation is
tan (x^1/2)/ [x (x+1/x)^1/2 ]
Minor point - that's not an equation. They're easy to spot because there's one of these- = - in an equation.

@Mark44: okies, noted.

I've tried differentiating it again and I get:

[tex]\frac{\frac{sec^{2}\sqrt{x}}{2\sqrt{x}}}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}+1}-\frac{1}{2\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}+x}}}[/tex]

But it still doesn't give me a limit.

I'm not too sure how to use your hint. As if i let [tex]\pi=x[/tex] Doesnt it just mean [tex]\pi[/tex] tends towards 0 instead of x ?

Confused...

1. What is L'hopital's rule?

L'hopital's rule is a mathematical technique used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, where the numerator and denominator both approach zero or infinity. It states that if the limit of the ratio of two functions equals an indeterminate form, then the limit of the ratio of their derivatives will be the same.

2. When can L'hopital's rule be applied?

L'hopital's rule can only be applied when the limit of the ratio of two functions approaches an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. If the limit approaches any other value, then the rule cannot be used.

3. What are some common indeterminate forms that can be evaluated using L'hopital's rule?

Some common indeterminate forms include 0/0, ∞/∞, 0*∞, ∞-∞, and ∞^0. These are all forms where the numerator and denominator both approach a limit of zero or infinity.

4. Can L'hopital's rule be used for limits at infinity?

Yes, L'hopital's rule can be used for limits at infinity. In this case, the rule is applied by taking the limit of the ratio of the derivatives as x approaches infinity.

5. Are there any limitations to using L'hopital's rule?

Yes, there are some limitations to using L'hopital's rule. It can only be applied to indeterminate forms, and it may not always give the correct result if the original limit does not exist. It also does not work for limits involving trigonometric functions.