A Real Sonic Screwdriver?

• Thread starter 930913
  • Start date
In summary: Sonic Screwdriver is possible."In summary, it is possible to make a sonic screwdriver by using sound waves, to turn a screw. It is easier to have the right side of a screw one metal, and the left another. It can be done, but it would require a lot of expensive equipment and knowledge.
Sounds nice. Post some pictures and schematics so we can see it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't feed the troll :tongue:

Ok then.

I have to wonder what health risks would be associated with thaat vibration. My wrists are on the edge of corp tnl, and I'd bet that thing, if not severly isolated, would drop me to tears after the first hand ful of 1/4-20's I pulled out

dr

brennanshaw took his information from the doctor who visual dictionary, most of those things don't exist. but i do believe that some day this technology will be invented, and i wish to dedicate myself to inventing this. though brennanshaw was incorrect, he has a point about the accoustic accelerator inside the anechoic chamber. this would give us some leverage in directing the waves partially in a direction...i shall look further into this. though the problem would be how to make an anechoic chamber that small would require either sound proof glass or thermal insulation, and the thermal insulation might absorb the sound which in this case is not what we want. I would also have to be able to find a high frequency emitter, as i believe that high frequency will inhibate better results due to the rapid wavelength. if you all would like i could post a rough sketch of what I am thinking.

Last edited:
Unknown Hero said:
I believe that is a sonic wave was emitted at the correct frequency, the screws shall indeed vibrate and in turn, rotate, thus, unlocking a door... perhaps not by the traditional turning of a handle, but more taking it off the hindges...

actually, the wave would not be used in this sense. the wave would be directed into the locking mechanism to push the pins to the shear line, though this seems highly impractical. your way makes more sense. cheers.

Has anyone seen this? Directional sound!
imagine a mixture of these small panels on the tip of the screwdriver cooperating with different frequencies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sierios said:
Has anyone seen this? Directional sound!
imagine a mixture of these small panels on the tip of the screwdriver cooperating with different frequencies!

this is very interesting. it would greatly increase the accuracy of the sound wave, and as he said, the sound is not coming from the transmitter, its being created at billions of points between the surface of the panel and the destination. The means its the air itself that is vibrating.

If you could aim it at a door lock, those points of vibration would be the pins. These vibrations would cause movement of the pins, but in theory, there would be no force of work. This device would help in 'aiming' the wave, but not actually creating the forcing/working frequency. Thanks for the link mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
you morron the sonic screwdriver is not a screwdriver how could you not know that!

777 said:
you morron the sonic screwdriver is not a screwdriver how could you not know that!

No offense intended, genius, but "moron" has only one "r". Also, the punctuation at the end of your last sentence should have been "?" or "?!" for emphasis. "you" as your opening word should have been capitalized, and "morron" followed by a "." or a ":" or a "—". The following "the" should have been capitalized if you had used the "." Otherwise, it required different spacing.
Also, there should have been a "!" or at least a "." following your second use of "screwdriver". "how", therefore, should have been capitalized. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Danger said:
No offense intended, genius, but "moron" has only one "r". Also, the punctuation at the end of your last sentence should have been "?" or "?!" for emphasis. "you" as your opening word should have been capitalized, and "morron" followed by a "." or a ":" or a "—". The following "the" should have been capitalized if you had used the "." Otherwise, it required different spacing.
Also, there should have been a "!" or at least a "." following your second use of "screwdriver". "how", therefore, should have been capitalized. :rolleyes:

LOL

Danger, grammar police aficianado :cool: I'm going to have to check my posts twice as hard when you're around...

Mech_Engineer said:
I'm going to have to check my posts twice as hard when you're around...

Naw... yours have always been pretty coherent. :biggrin:

Hi;

I had built a working sonic screwdriver once, a few years back.

It’s common knowledge that sound/vibration can effect physical structure:soldiers must break step before crossing a bridge, an opera singer can break a wine glass by hitting the proper note, and a helicopter can easily shake a house from a distance overhead. So it seemed to me to be just a matter of frequency and power.

To test the theory I used an old box from a disused piezo-speaker that had a pair of screws on its top as well as a standard stereo speaker. The speaker was connected to a medium-powered stereo amplifier that was being fed by a simple audio sine wave generator.

At a certain frequency the screws on the box began to turn fast and easily until they reached the bottom; at a higher frequency they slowly unscrewed themselves. This was resonance at work. Going one step farther, I placed the speaker up against a solid wood door and adjusted the frequency upward; at a certaain point the key in the door turned itself to the right although not with enough force to open the lock. The key could even be turned when the speaker was some distance from the door (basic Mechanical Engineering 101). At one point I even managed to get dinner plates to spin on the sound head. That was cool.

Once I knew the theory was right, I had to see if I could a practical screwdriver. I tried several ideas but what worked best was a standard piezo buzzer from Radio Shack. Driven at the right frequency and at high enough voltage, it could easily turn the screws on the ox from three to four inches. This was great but at 143 dB, this didn’t work too well for quiet breaking and entering at 3:00 in the morning; not to mention it hurt any bystanders. I decided that this had to work at a near ultrasonic frequency, say 13 kHz. This was a frquency most people could only barely hear. By itself, this frequency didn’t turn the screws too well (resonance effects end at 10 kHz) but when either frequency or amplitude modulated, that worked the same as being used at an audible frequency. It could still be heard, but only because of the secondary modulation—if set for 10 Hz, one would hear the 10 Hz beat and not the 13 kHz even though it was mouch louder.

The final problem to be solved was the size. The SS took a lot of power. One couldn’t use big batteries or carry a battery pack; tat was tacky. The solution came when some company produced a neat little IC that could easily boost 3 volts to 9 VDC. Instead of big batteries, I only needed two sub-C to get all the power the SS needed. When it was finished, the sonic screwdriver was about 11 inches long; a little shorter than the 5th Doctor’s screwdriver (I had a chance to ask Peter Davidson about it once). Made out of aluminum and copper, it was a thing of beauty. Its only design flaw was the on/off switch: I could never get that like on TV. :-)

Eventually, somehow, it got lost...

‘Doc

Doc Orion said:
Hi;

I had built a working sonic screwdriver once, a few years back.

It’s common knowledge that sound/vibration can effect physical structure:soldiers must break step before crossing a bridge, an opera singer can break a wine glass by hitting the proper note, and a helicopter can easily shake a house from a distance overhead. So it seemed to me to be just a matter of frequency and power.

To test the theory I used an old box from a disused piezo-speaker that had a pair of screws on its top as well as a standard stereo speaker. The speaker was connected to a medium-powered stereo amplifier that was being fed by a simple audio sine wave generator.

At a certain frequency the screws on the box began to turn fast and easily until they reached the bottom; at a higher frequency they slowly unscrewed themselves. This was resonance at work. Going one step farther, I placed the speaker up against a solid wood door and adjusted the frequency upward; at a certaain point the key in the door turned itself to the right although not with enough force to open the lock. The key could even be turned when the speaker was some distance from the door (basic Mechanical Engineering 101). At one point I even managed to get dinner plates to spin on the sound head. That was cool.

Once I knew the theory was right, I had to see if I could a practical screwdriver. I tried several ideas but what worked best was a standard piezo buzzer from Radio Shack. Driven at the right frequency and at high enough voltage, it could easily turn the screws on the ox from three to four inches. This was great but at 143 dB, this didn’t work too well for quiet breaking and entering at 3:00 in the morning; not to mention it hurt any bystanders. I decided that this had to work at a near ultrasonic frequency, say 13 kHz. This was a frquency most people could only barely hear. By itself, this frequency didn’t turn the screws too well (resonance effects end at 10 kHz) but when either frequency or amplitude modulated, that worked the same as being used at an audible frequency. It could still be heard, but only because of the secondary modulation—if set for 10 Hz, one would hear the 10 Hz beat and not the 13 kHz even though it was mouch louder.

The final problem to be solved was the size. The SS took a lot of power. One couldn’t use big batteries or carry a battery pack; tat was tacky. The solution came when some company produced a neat little IC that could easily boost 3 volts to 9 VDC. Instead of big batteries, I only needed two sub-C to get all the power the SS needed. When it was finished, the sonic screwdriver was about 11 inches long; a little shorter than the 5th Doctor’s screwdriver (I had a chance to ask Peter Davidson about it once). Made out of aluminum and copper, it was a thing of beauty. Its only design flaw was the on/off switch: I could never get that like on TV. :-)

Eventually, somehow, it got lost...

‘Doc

men, this is science at its best. thank you very much for the information, i believe you have given hope to many of us doctor who geeks. mabye one day when I am not poor I am build one, but nonetheless, thanks a lot!

Romana had her own sonic screwdriver. I had seen it briefly on a few Doctor Who shows but for years I never could find a picture of it; I had the impression that it was rather simple looking.

When I finally saw a picture, I was disappointed: it looked like a metal tooth-pick! The design is simpler than the Doctor's (which is why he tried to steal it), and so is the electronics since it doesn't have a lot to do. Say a really simple 555 (for square wave) or a slightly more complex XR2206 (sine wave) oscillator working at 15 kHz; its output feeding a power transistor and a miniature audio transformer connected to a small [cylindrical] transducer.

The circuit is something that can be knocked together for a couple of bucks, on a small narrow piece of perfboard in less than an hour. But the finished device being so much simpler, one would have to physically touch the SS to whatever you want to affect because that tiny transducer won't radiate nearly as well as the design for the Doctor's screwdriver.

Still, it would make a cute little hi-tech toy for some would-be Time Lord. ;-)

'Doc

Having seen many variations on both electronic and mechanical screwdrivers (of which I own two, a shortie and a regular) no larger than a normal screwdriver, I'm...

Not impressed. I also own a sheetrock scredriver that's nearly the same size (the same size at the driving head) as a normal screwdriver.

So, still not impressed. They work exceptionally well, using conventional (motor/worm driven gearing). No advanced "sonics" involved.

And they're fairly inexpensive!

Now if you can produce a "sonic screwdriver" that'll drive a thousand deckscrews on a single charge, I'd be happy to take a look.

or put the screws in on both sides of the wall at the same time

dr

dr dodge said:
or put the screws in on both sides of the wall at the same time

dr

Ahhh... I see. You want the kind of sonic screwdriver that the faux 11th Doctor had: handle made of wood, has a shaped metal piece for turning screws, and is sonic when you bang it against a wall heh heh.

Doc Orion said:
Romana had her own sonic screwdriver. I had seen it briefly on a few Doctor Who shows but for years I never could find a picture of it; I had the impression that it was rather simple looking.

When I finally saw a picture, I was disappointed: it looked like a metal tooth-pick! The design is simpler than the Doctor's (which is why he tried to steal it), and so is the electronics since it doesn't have a lot to do. Say a really simple 555 (for square wave) or a slightly more complex XR2206 (sine wave) oscillator working at 15 kHz; its output feeding a power transistor and a miniature audio transformer connected to a small [cylindrical] transducer.

The circuit is something that can be knocked together for a couple of bucks, on a small narrow piece of perfboard in less than an hour. But the finished device being so much simpler, one would have to physically touch the SS to whatever you want to affect because that tiny transducer won't radiate nearly as well as the design for the Doctor's screwdriver.

Still, it would make a cute little hi-tech toy for some would-be Time Lord. ;-)

'Doc

nice, that makes sense. and hey, its the closest thing we have so far. any idea where i can get some of this stuff? future shop? radio shack? ebay?

The Chemist said:
nice, that makes sense. and hey, its the closest thing we have so far. any idea where i can get some of this stuff? future shop? radio shack? ebay?
Digikey would be a good place to start.

The Chemist said:

Best place is Mouser; you can get everything there except for the transducer-- that may be pretty hard to come by these days; the ceramics companies aren't as nice as they used to be to the experimenter. Ebay? Hmmm...

Just a reminder: smallness is the goal. Unless you are really skilled at working with surface mount parts, stick to 1/8 watt resistors and 16v tantalum caps. With creative wiring, it's amazing how compact you can get those circuits.

'Doc

Lancelot59 said:
Digikey would be a good place to start.

Back in the day-- in those ancient times before the evil Bush monster plunged us into an economical Dark Age-- Radio Shack used to have a simple little kit used the TL499AC chip to make a 1.3v - 9v converter. One battery poduced 20 ma; two AA cells produced 60 ma at 9 VDC.

You can't get the kit any more, but I do think you can get the TL499AC chip by itself from Digikey. At least, they had it a few years ago... :-)

Doc Orion said:
Back in the day-- in those ancient times before the evil Bush monster plunged us into an economical Dark Age-- Radio Shack used to have a simple little kit used the TL499AC chip to make a 1.3v - 9v converter. One battery poduced 20 ma; two AA cells produced 60 ma at 9 VDC.

You can't get the kit any more, but I do think you can get the TL499AC chip by itself from Digikey. At least, they had it a few years ago... :-)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=US&WT.z_homepage_link=hp_go_button&KeyWords=TL499AC&x=26&y=27 Not the exact name though.

I used the converter kit first to see if it could power my screwdriver which is more sophisticated than the Romana design.

The Romana design is less complicated-- only 1 chip (and somebody clever could probably do it with only a few transistors)-- but if the TL555 low power timer IC is used, it could be run off of a single battery or two, depending upon the battery used. Radio Shack has (still?) a 3.6 v ni-cad cell that might work.

Didn't there used to be a cylindrical 22 volt battery? Anyway, that would work nicely with a voltage regulator to drop the supply down to 15 volts. As Mr. Spock would say, there are always possibilities. One could even make a simple converter from a few spare parts--

http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/electronics/stepup.html

Still, it's always good to have a few catalogs from battery companies sitting around; you never know what you might find that will make a sonic screwdriver smaller, more compact. :-)

'Doc

At this website --

http://books.google.com/books?id=-s...&resnum=8&ved=0CEAQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

there are a number of basic transistor circuits that can make for great tiny driver circuits. Use two power transistors, work out the R/C values to get 13-15kHz operation, and use a miniature audio step-up transformer and it's finished. The screwdriver will easily operate at 1.5 volts.

The only problem is that the circuit will not only put out more power at 3.0 volts, but the frequency will change as the supply voltage changes. Of course, one could always use 3volts for maximum power to start with (you don't want to de-polerize the ceramic transducer) and at 13 kHz but as the power drops, so would the frequency. But hey, it's just a toy, right? <w>

This is actually very interesting. I must consider myself a big Doctor Who fan myself, but I don't have a tremendous knowledge in Physics - I'm still learning at this point. :) But I would really like to build something like this, a device that uses sonic waves to perform actions such as loosening screws. I've read through this entire thread, but as I'm still quite new to physics, I'd greatly appreciate a little help with this topic. Does anyone have any handy tips or a simple guide or steps for me to follow to achieve this?

As I said, I'm looking to design a simple device at this point, so thanks for any help! :D

-Mintigo

I don't know about the Doctor's current screwdriver with 29 computers built into it, but his earlier designs were as simple as they can come; Electronics 101 kind of stuff-- 2 easy to get IC chips (XR2206 function generator and CD4046 PPL chip) and a handful of small parts, basically. The design doesn't include the battery converter, which I consider a separate system.

1. The XR2206 generates a variable frequency sine wave and requires 3 resistors, a capacitor, and a pot.

2. CD4046 configured as a VCO (voltage-controlled oscillator) needs two caps, a resistor, and a pot. This is really simple.

3. A resistor connects the sine wave oscillator to the VCO; a couple of resistors connect a pair of transistors and a [miniature] transformer in a push-pull amplifier to drive a ceramic transducer. It's really harder to describe than it is to build.

I had designed the entire screwdriver using Turbo-CAD, an inexpensive but sophisticated CAD package. But when my laptop crashed, all of my files went with it. Fortunately I had paper printouts for machinists to make the outer casing, which isn't simple at all. I had taken drafting and machine shop in high school, but I don't have the kind of machine lathe to cut out the separate parts of the casing

The Romana-screwdriver is nothing more than a 15 kHz power oscillator. It works, but it lacks the style and elegance of the Doctor's screwdriver. :-)

'Doc

Hi Doc! :)

Thanks for your prompt response. I actually like the previous sonic screwdriver models, as apposed to the current one. And if I am to create one, I would base it off the previous model.

So, to build the screwdriver - I would just require all of the components you've listed above? And then I just piece it all together?

Thanks again!

It's really a pity that I lost all of my design files. I could probably design it over again from scratch, but that probably wouldn't help you a lot.

But here are a few tips:

The basic XR2206 circuit is very hard to find these days, but here it is--

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~lanterma/sdiy/datasheets/vco/radioshack_2206spec.pdf

The sine circuit is found at fig. 8 and most of the values aren't critical. The main frequency cap should be 1 UF, while the large cap across the grounded resistor needs to be 22 uF. There's a pot in the diagram to determine amplitude, but I *think* I used a
15K resistor for that. The only pot used is the one that controls the frequency from 1 Hz to 100 Hz or thereabouts.

There's a resistor that controls the shape of the sine wave across pins 13 & 14: I think I used 150 ohms, but that's to personal taste and isn't critical either.

The 4046 VCO circuit is even easier. Unfortunately, I don't remember the vaules I used for it. A resistor and a cap at pin 9 (the other end to ground) in parallel determine how slow or fast the main 15 kHz tone shifts. If you use something like 1M/10 uf, it creates almost a slow siren-like sound; well, it would if you could hear 15 kHz, heh heh. Uh, anyway this is part preference, part practicality: at faster cycling speeds, the faster screws can turn so this has to be ballanced out through experiementation. I can't remember the values I picked.

The CD4046--

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/schs043b/schs043b.pdf

-- does need a 0.001 uF cap at pins 6 & 7 to get 15 kHz but this is an easy frequency as the VCO can work as high as 1 MHz. Sound that high can't even travel through air more than a few inches before-- well, let's just say it can't travel through air very far. But at 15 kHz, that's not a problem. I think there's a resistor from pin 11 to ground to control the base frequency, ut it has been a long while since I made this circuit.

Lastly, output put the 2206 at pin 3 goes via a resistor to pin 9 of the 4046 so the 15 kHz square wave is modulated by the 1 to 100 Hz sine wave. The output of the 4046 from pins 2 &3 go via 2.2k resistors into a pair of power transistors, simple push-pull kind of arrangement (I think that's what I did), into whatever miniature audio transformer you can get-- especially if it has a good turns ratio. And the screws go round and round... :-)

I suppose if you are just learning electronics-- or don't know any at all-- this is moderately difficult. The main matter like I said before, is wiring it all together so the circuit is tight and fits inside an aluminum tube, not a square box which would be normal for such a circuit.

But it's murder for me to try and rebuild the circuit from memory. This is the reason for always keeping backup files, sigh...

'Doc

Oh, yeah: I used the XR2206 because a sine wave gives a nice, smooth, modulation but other wave shapes can be used. A LM555 could be used instead to give a sawtooth modulation that sounds real freaky.

It sounds kinda cool, as such things go, but a sawtooth wave has harmonics (sine waves don't) and those harmonics might cause a conflict that makes the screwdriver inefficient. Same for square wave modulation. It also sounds awful. Unfortunately there aren't any easier ways to get a sine way other than the function generator chips like the 2206 or the MAX8038.

'Doc

It sounds kinda cool, as such things go, but a sawtooth wave has harmonics (sine waves don't) and those harmonics might cause a conflict that makes the screwdriver inefficient.

The Doctor and Romana weren't the only ones to have waay cool sonic devices; dig up a copy of the Flint movies from the 60s. Super spy Derek Flint had a sonic belt buckle that he used to first blow up a pool ball, and later used it to escape from a freezing chamber. I think the movie was In Like Flint, staring the late great James Coburn.

Flint's device is a bit more complicated: it produced a series of tones in brief steps-- 100Hz, 300 Hz, 500 Hz, 800 Hz, etc. The transducer looks like a miniature tuning fork, and when he plugged it in the socket, it activated the unit. A really clever design but probably a lot of work for someone heh heh... ;-)

'Doc

Hey, I came across a box of Screwdriver parts. Most of them stock items-- resistors,
ICs, etc. But here's something I forgot: to help reduce space, I used some exotic bullet
caps I bought from Mouser #74-173D25V10. The stock number means a 10 uF, 25V tantalum cap made by Vishay/Sprague. I used these bullet caps because they are small and compact; easy to fit into a cylindrical casing without sticking up or anything.

They fit between the three resistors needed for the XR2206 circuit or can fit along side of the resistors but either way, these bullet caps are a clever way to make the circuitry compact short of using surface mount parts. But hey, feel free to use whatever parts or methods you want; this arrangement has just worked pretty well for me. ;-)

The only thing left to ponder over is the transducer. I knocked onetogether from some 0.500" dia. piezo ceramic disks I bought from somewhere. The disks are incredibly thin-- they have to be-- and are bonded to a slightly larger brass disk. This is the way standard piezo buzzers are made, only commercial units are made much more neatly. I don't know the resonant frequency as each transducer has an infinite number of variables so it's just easier to make make them and hope they work. By the way, a special electrically conductive adhesive/glue is needed between disks.

Commercial elements can be used, if ones can be found ssmall enough. They do make a 12 kHz element, or at least they used to. This, I guess is all I can say except for,
good luck folks.

'Doc

That sounds real cool. Hey Doc... I've sent you a PM, please respond as soon as you can, thanks! :D

I just got the new Doctor Who DVDs and saw the Doctor's brand new sonic screwdriver. It does just about everything but make coffee-- or I suppose because they're British, it does everything but make tea.

There's a book, Father Time, where the 8th Doctor who's stranded on Earth and with no memory of his origins, has made a sonic suitcase; '80s tecnology in action... I suppose you could probably get a coffee maker in that. :-)

'Doc

<h2>1. How does a real sonic screwdriver work?</h2><p>A real sonic screwdriver would work similarly to a regular screwdriver, but instead of using physical force to turn a screw, it would use sound waves to vibrate the screw and loosen it.</p><h2>2. Can a real sonic screwdriver open any type of lock?</h2><p>It would depend on the specific design and capabilities of the sonic screwdriver. Some may be able to open a wide range of locks, while others may only work on certain types.</p><h2>3. Is it possible to create a real sonic screwdriver with current technology?</h2><p>At this time, it is not possible to create a sonic screwdriver with the same capabilities as the one in the Doctor Who series. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies, so it may be possible in the future.</p><h2>4. What materials would be needed to make a real sonic screwdriver?</h2><p>The materials needed would vary depending on the design, but some possible components could include a power source, a sound generator, and a mechanism for amplifying and directing the sound waves.</p><h2>5. How would a real sonic screwdriver differ from a regular screwdriver?</h2><p>A real sonic screwdriver would not require physical force to turn a screw, making it potentially more efficient and precise. It may also have additional features, such as the ability to scan and analyze objects or create force fields.</p>

1. How does a real sonic screwdriver work?

A real sonic screwdriver would work similarly to a regular screwdriver, but instead of using physical force to turn a screw, it would use sound waves to vibrate the screw and loosen it.

2. Can a real sonic screwdriver open any type of lock?

It would depend on the specific design and capabilities of the sonic screwdriver. Some may be able to open a wide range of locks, while others may only work on certain types.

3. Is it possible to create a real sonic screwdriver with current technology?

At this time, it is not possible to create a sonic screwdriver with the same capabilities as the one in the Doctor Who series. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies, so it may be possible in the future.

4. What materials would be needed to make a real sonic screwdriver?

The materials needed would vary depending on the design, but some possible components could include a power source, a sound generator, and a mechanism for amplifying and directing the sound waves.

5. How would a real sonic screwdriver differ from a regular screwdriver?

A real sonic screwdriver would not require physical force to turn a screw, making it potentially more efficient and precise. It may also have additional features, such as the ability to scan and analyze objects or create force fields.