Value of a strange continued fraction

In summary, the continued fraction can be written as: [1; 2,3,4,...] or [1; 2,3,5,6,7,8...] and there is a general method for solving continued fractions with patterns like this, but beyond that, one is clueless.
psychohistory
Howdy!

Question - What is the value of the continued fraction: 1 + 1/(2 + 1/(3 + 1/(4 + ...
The continued fraction can also be written: [1; 2,3,4,...]

Is there a general method for solving continued fractions with patterns like this? I tried using the recursive formula for the nth convergent, but I couldn't generalize it.

I know how to work with periodic continued fractions (in which case, the value is a quadratic surd), but anything beyond that and I'm clueless.

First post, btw. I'm actually a music major that dabbles in this crap on the side. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The value is
[tex]
\frac{I_0(2)}{I_1(2)}
[/tex]
where [itex]I_n(x)[/itex] is a hyperbolic Bessel function

American Mathematical Monthly, solution E3264, vol. 97, 1990, p. 157

"general method" ... depends what you mean by "like this"

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the very specific reference, g_edgar. No idea how you found that, but exactly what I was looking for.

and what about

[tex]\large\ F=\cfrac{1}{i+\cfrac{1}{i^2+\cfrac{1}{i^3+\cfrac{1}{i^4+...}}}}[/tex]

?

That hyperbolic-Bessel-function ratio was from Continued Fraction -- from Wolfram MathWorld

One can use the Fundamental recurrence formulas (Wikipedia) for them.

For a continued fraction
x = b0 + a1 /(b1 + a2/(b2 + ...))

we set up A's and B's such that
A(0) = b(0)
B(0) = 1
A(1) = b(1)*b(0) + a(1)
B(1) = b(1)
A(n) = b(n)*A(n-1) + a(n)*A(n-2)
B(n) = b(n)*B(n-1) + a(n)*B(n-2)

x(n) = A(n)/B(n) converges to the desired result as n -> infinity

So here we have a(n) = 1 and b(n) = in

I evaluated with Mathematica's function RecurrenceTable, and I found no convergence for the first 100 terms. In fact, I find that the values recur with a period of 24. The recurrence period of b(n), 4, evenly divides this, so this recurrence is exact.

So one ought to do the general case of a(n) = 1 and b(n) = c*bn[/sub], and then take c -> 1 and b -> i.

Let's do A and B together.
p(n) = c*bn*p(n-1) + p(n-2)
p(0) = q0
p(1) = c*b*q0 + q1

We can use a generating function:
P(t) = sumn from 0 to oo p(n)*tn

That gives us
(1 - t2)*P(t) - c*(b*t)*P(b*t) = q0 + q1*t

For b = c = 1, one gets the Fibonacci series:
P(t) = (q0 + q1*t)/(1 - t - t2)

where each power of t is a sum of powers of ((sqrt(5)+1)/2) and ((sqrt(5)-1)/2).

If b is an nth root of unity, one can solve this equation by taking t -> b*t, t -> b2*t, until the cycle is complete. One can then solve for P(t) by factoring out P(b*t), P(b2*t), etc.

One gets a rational function of t, implying a Fibonacci-like solution.

For c = 1 and b = -1, one gets a power series in 12th roots of unity, yielding a recurrence period of 12, and for c = 1 and b = i, one gets 24th roots of unity, yielding a recurrence period of 24.

So one ought to treat c = 1 as a limit, to be approached from below.

For b = -1, the roots' absolute values are offset by about sqrt(1-c)/2 from unity, and for b = i, about sqrt(1-c)/4 from unity.

My patience has run out here; it's fairly straightforward algebra the rest of the way.

I did the algebra, with the help of Mathematica, and I found these generating functions:

For b = 1,

[itex]P(t) = \frac{q_0 + t q_1}{1 - t - t^2}[/itex]

For b = -1,

[itex]P(t) = \frac{(1-ct-t^2)q_0 + t(1+ct-t^2)q_1}{1-(2-c^2)t^2+t^4}[/itex]

For b = i,

[itex]P(t) = \frac{(1+ict+(1-ic^2)t^2-c^3t^3+(-1-ic^2)t^4-ict^5-t^6)q_0 + t(1-ct+(1+ic^2)+ic^3t^3+(-1+ic^2)t^4+ct^5-t^6)q_1}{1-(2-c^4)t^4+t^8}[/itex]

One finds the solution by decomposing the generating function into this fractional form:

[itex]P(t) = \sum_k \frac{c_k}{1 - w_k t}[/itex]

It yields the solution:

[itex]p(n) = \sum_k c_k (w_k)^n[/itex]

The b = 1 case yields:

[itex]p(n) = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{5}} \left( ((1+\sqrt{5})q_0+2q_1) \left(\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n - ((1-\sqrt{5})q_0+2q_1) \left(\frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n \right)[/itex]

which gives us each member of the Fibonacci series. Note that the exponential factors w = (1+sqrt(5))/2 and (1-sqrt(2))/2 make increasing and decreasing contributions, respectively, as n increases.

However, for b = -1, the exponential factors are

w = {1, -1} * exp((i/2)*arccos(1-c2/2))

and for b = i, the exponential factors are

w = {1, i, -1, -i} * exp((i/4)*arccos(1-c4/2))

These make |w| = 1 for c near 1, and thus oscillatory behavior, so the limit trick doesn't work there.

An alternative would be to take |b| near 1, then take the limit of |b| -> 1.

I don't know how to solve that case, and I don't even know if it will work.

What is a strange continued fraction?

A strange continued fraction is a type of mathematical expression that involves an infinite sequence of numbers within brackets. The numbers in this sequence may follow a pattern or appear random, and the fraction can be evaluated to a single numerical value.

What is the significance of the value of a strange continued fraction?

The value of a strange continued fraction can provide insights into the underlying mathematical principles and patterns present in the sequence of numbers. It can also have applications in fields such as number theory, cryptography, and data compression.

How is the value of a strange continued fraction calculated?

The value of a strange continued fraction can be calculated using various methods, such as the Euclidean algorithm or the Jacobi-Perron algorithm. These algorithms involve recursively manipulating the terms of the fraction to approximate the value.

Can the value of a strange continued fraction be irrational?

Yes, the value of a strange continued fraction can be irrational, meaning it cannot be expressed as a finite decimal or fraction. This occurs when the sequence of numbers within the brackets follows a pattern that does not repeat.

What are some real-world applications of strange continued fractions?

Strange continued fractions have been used in fields such as music theory, where they can represent the ratios of musical intervals. They have also been used in cryptography to create secure encryption algorithms based on the difficulty of calculating the value of a strange continued fraction.