Find Heat, Work & Internal Energy for Reversible Expansion of Gas

ENDMENT:In summary, we have an ideal monatomic gas with initial values of volume, pressure, and temperature. We need to determine the heat supplied to the gas, work done on it, and increase in internal energy when it is compressed isothermally. The standard solution using W=-P*dV may be incorrect as work is path dependent and we would need to know if the path is reversible. Using the first law, we can find a relationship between heat and work, but cannot calculate them explicitly since there is no temperature change. The inequality W>-PdV for irreversible changes can be confusing, but it always holds true since work is defined as PdV.
sachi
we have an ideal monatomic gas which intially occupies 27*(10^-3) m^3 at a pressure of 3.2*(10^5) Pa and at a temperature of 400K. We have to find the heat supplied to the gas, the work done on it, and its increase in internal energy when it is compressed isothermally at 400K to a volume of 8*(10^-3) m^3.

We were given a standard solution to this question which works out work done using W=-P*dV. I think this is incorrect, though as work done is a function of state and therefore is path dependent, so we would need to be informed that the path was reversible before we could figure out the work done in this way. We know the change in T=0, and for ideal gas U=U(T) therefore change in U is zero, therefore by 1st law W=-Q, so we can find a relationship between the two but can't calculate anything explicitly. I think this is right but am not sure.

Also, I'd like to discuss the fact that W>-PdV for irreversible changes. I can't quite get my head around the inequality. If a gas was to expand by a certain volume reversibly, then it would do a certain amount of work on the surroundings. If it was to expand irreversibly it would have to do the same amount of work on the surroundings to expand in volume, but it would also have to do work against frictional forces. Therefore the amount of work would have greater modulus but -ve sign. Surely then dW <-P*dV??

Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
sachi said:
we have an ideal monatomic gas which intially occupies 27*(10^-3) m^3 at a pressure of 3.2*(10^5) Pa and at a temperature of 400K. We have to find the heat supplied to the gas, the work done on it, and its increase in internal energy when it is compressed isothermally at 400K to a volume of 8*(10^-3) m^3.
We were given a standard solution to this question which works out work done using W=-P*dV. I think this is incorrect, though as work done is a function of state and therefore is path dependent, so we would need to be informed that the path was reversible before we could figure out the work done in this way. We know the change in T=0, and for ideal gas U=U(T) therefore change in U is zero, therefore by 1st law W=-Q, so we can find a relationship between the two but can't calculate anything explicitly. I think this is right but am not sure.
Using the first law, of course:

[tex]\Delta Q = \Delta U + \Delta W[/tex]

As you noted, since there is no temperature change, the internal energy of the gas does not change ([itex]\Delta U = \frac{3}{2}nR\Delta T[/itex] for a monatomic gas). So:

[tex]\Delta Q = \Delta W = \int_{Vi}^{Vf} P dv[/tex]

Since PV = nRT, [itex]P = nRT/V = P_iV_i/V[/itex].

[tex]\Delta W = P_iV_i\int_{Vi}^{Vf} \frac{dv}{V} = P_iV_i ln\frac{V_f}{V_i}[/tex]
Also, I'd like to discuss the fact that W>-PdV for irreversible changes. I can't quite get my head around the inequality. If a gas was to expand by a certain volume reversibly, then it would do a certain amount of work on the surroundings. If it was to expand irreversibly it would have to do the same amount of work on the surroundings to expand in volume, but it would also have to do work against frictional forces. Therefore the amount of work would have greater modulus but -ve sign. Surely then dW <-P*dV??
Thanks very much.
The definition of work is Force x Distance so, by definition, dW = Fds = PAds = PdV (static pressure). So, this is always true whether it is a reversible or irreversible change. If the change is reversible, the work done to or by the gas is recoverable. If it is not recoverable, it is irreversible. But dW is always equal to PdV (assuming thermodynamic equilibrium).

Hope that helps.

AM

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between heat, work, and internal energy?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy between two objects at different temperatures. Work is the transfer of energy through a mechanical process, such as pushing or pulling. Internal energy is the total energy contained within a system, including both thermal and mechanical energy.

2. How is the reversible expansion of gas related to heat, work, and internal energy?

In a reversible expansion of gas, the gas expands or contracts while maintaining thermal equilibrium with its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the gas remains constant, and any change in internal energy is due to work being done on or by the gas. Heat is not involved in this process.

3. What is the equation for finding heat in a reversible expansion of gas?

The equation for finding heat in a reversible expansion of gas is Q = nCΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, n is the number of moles of gas, C is the molar heat capacity at constant pressure, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. How does the reversible expansion of gas differ from an irreversible expansion?

In a reversible expansion, the gas expands or contracts slowly and smoothly, without any sudden changes or energy losses. This allows the system to remain in thermal equilibrium and for the process to be reversed. In an irreversible expansion, the gas expands or contracts quickly and may experience sudden changes in temperature, leading to energy losses and a non-reversible process.

5. What are some real-life examples of reversible and irreversible expansions of gas?

A reversible expansion of gas can be seen in a piston-cylinder system, where the piston moves slowly and smoothly, allowing the gas to remain in thermal equilibrium. An irreversible expansion of gas can be seen in a car engine, where the gas rapidly expands and does work on the piston, but may also experience sudden temperature changes and energy losses.