What is the Integral of e^(-bx^2) Using Substitution?

In summary, the integral (from zero to infinity) of e^(-x^2) is sqrt(pi)/2. The integral (from zero to infinity) of e^(-bx^2) is 1/sqrt(b). But is sqrt(b) a constant when it is the same thing as y/x? Can I move it outside the integral?
orange
Hello!

I've got a problem I've been working on for hours.

I get a clue;

If the integral (from zero to infinity) of e^(-x^2) is sqrt(pi)/2, what is
the integral (from zero to infinity) of e^(-bx^2)?

I've tried substitution, but I kind of got it wrong. If x = y/sqrt(b), I get the same integral as in the clue. But then I'm stuck with a 1/sqrt(b) which I can't get rid of. Anyone up for the challenge? Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean get rid of? sqrt(b) is a constant, and it will appear in the final answer.

StatusX said:
What do you mean get rid of? sqrt(b) is a constant, and it will appear in the final answer.

But is sqrt(b) a constant when it is the same thing as y/x? Can I move it outside the integral?

I'll take the whole problem:

The integral (from zero to +infinity) of c*x^2*e^(-bx^2) dx = 1

I get the clue: integral (from zero to +infinity) of e^(-x^2) = sqrt(pi) / 2

What is c?

You know

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^{2}} dx.[/tex]

Use the substitution [itex]u = \sqrt{b} x[/itex] to calculate

[tex]I \left( b \right) = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-bx^{2}} dx[/tex]

for any [itex]b[/itex]. Then differentiate with respect to [itex]b[/itex] both sides of

to find the integral that you want.

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
You know

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^{2}} dx.[/tex]

Use the substitution [itex]u = \sqrt{b} x[/itex] to calculate

for any [itex]b[/itex]. Then differentiate with respect to [itex]b[/itex] both sides of

to find the integral that you want.

Regards,
George

Thanks a lot George and StatusX. Appreciate you taking your time. :!)

1. What is substitution in an integral?

Substitution in an integral is a technique used in calculus to simplify the evaluation of integrals by replacing a complicated expression with a simpler one.

2. Why is substitution used in integrals?

Substitution is used in integrals to make the integrand, or the function being integrated, easier to evaluate. It can also help to solve integrals that cannot be evaluated using other techniques.

3. How do you perform substitution in an integral?

To perform substitution in an integral, you first identify a part of the integrand that can be replaced with a single variable. Then, you choose a substitution rule, such as u-substitution or inverse trigonometric substitution, to replace that part of the integrand with the new variable. After making the substitution, you can then evaluate the integral using the new variable.

4. What is the difference between u-substitution and inverse trigonometric substitution?

U-substitution is a substitution rule that involves replacing a part of the integrand with a new variable u, while inverse trigonometric substitution involves replacing a part of the integrand with an inverse trigonometric function, such as sin-1 or tan-1. U-substitution is typically used for integrals involving algebraic functions, while inverse trigonometric substitution is used for integrals involving trigonometric functions.

5. When should I use substitution in an integral?

You should use substitution in an integral when the integrand contains a complicated expression that can be simplified using a substitution rule. This is often the case for integrals involving algebraic or trigonometric functions, but may also be necessary for other types of integrals.