Program to simulate the effects of a golf shot accurately

In summary, the conversation discusses a program that accurately simulates the effects of a golf shot. The user can set parameters such as the clubhead mass, loft of the club face, and the ball's mass and radius. The current implementation uses a formula to calculate the ball's velocity based on these parameters. However, for the project to be a success, it needs to take into account the spin imparted to the ball. This requires calculating normal and tangential forces, as well as determining spin and using it to calculate magnus force for a proper ball flight. The parameters are set specifically for the point of impact, but this may be a problem as the acceleration of the clubhead may need to be taken into account. The conversation also
mchugh
hi

i'm working on a program to simulate the effects of a golf shot accurately. I allow the user to set most of the parameters - such as the mass of the clubhead, loft of the club face (angle), the radius and mass of the ball, etc.

At present, I've got a pretty lame implentation, which uses

MV(1+e)
ball velocity = -------
M+m

M is the clubhead mass, V is the velocity of the club (which I rotate to be perpendicular to the club face) e is the restitution of the ball and m is the mass of the ball.

For the project to be a success, it needs to take into account spin imparted to the ball. For this to happen, as i understand, i need to calculate a normal and tangental force. I can calculate the direction vectors of these forces no problem, but does anyone know more about how this stuff works? Once i have these two forces, I then have to work out spin (as angular velocity ideally), which in turn i need to use to calculate magnus force, so i can get a proper flight on the ball.

All the parameters are set specifically for the point of impact - that is to say, i only give the clubhead a speed, which is the presumed speed at the point of impact. I appreciate that this can be a problem, as I might need to use the acceleration of the clubhead to work out some force stuff. If this is the case, then i will need a 'fix' to provide a suitable figure for the acceleration.

you might be able to see the program as it is (depending on wether or not the free web host i use is working) at http://mchugh.port5.com/images/golf.jpg, an image which demonstrates the inaccuracy of the ball flight at the minute (golf balls don't fly like that).

feel free to talk to me like a baby. any help or pointers to resources on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by mchugh
M is the clubhead mass, V is the velocity of the club (which I rotate to be perpendicular to the club face) e is the restitution of the ball and m is the mass of the ball.

For the project to be a success, it needs to take into account spin imparted to the ball. For this to happen, as i understand, i need to calculate a normal and tangental force. I can calculate the direction vectors of these forces no problem, but does anyone know more about how this stuff works? Once i have these two forces, I then have to work out spin (as angular velocity ideally), which in turn i need to use to calculate magnus force, so i can get a proper flight on the ball.

All the parameters are set specifically for the point of impact - that is to say, i only give the clubhead a speed, which is the presumed speed at the point of impact. I appreciate that this can be a problem, as I might need to use the acceleration of the clubhead to work out some force stuff. If this is the case, then i will need a 'fix' to provide a suitable figure for the acceleration.

you might be able to see the program as it is (depending on wether or not the free web host i use is working) at http://mchugh.port5.com/images/golf.jpg, an image which demonstrates the inaccuracy of the ball flight at the minute (golf balls don't fly like that).

feel free to talk to me like a baby. any help or pointers to resources on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Its actually pretty complicated. The velocity of the club is parallel to the ground, not perpendicular to the face. Like light in a reflection problem, a 10.5 degree driver actually produces a 21 degree (with respect to the club head, not the ground) loft. More later...gotta gl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

Your project sounds very interesting and challenging. It's great that you are allowing the user to set various parameters, as it adds to the realism of the simulation.

To accurately simulate the effects of a golf shot, you will definitely need to take into account spin imparted to the ball. As you mentioned, this involves calculating normal and tangential forces, which can be quite complex. I would recommend doing some research on the Magnus effect, which is the force that causes a spinning object to curve in flight. This effect is what gives a golf ball its characteristic backspin or sidespin.

To calculate the normal and tangential forces, you will need to know the spin rate of the ball, which can be determined by the clubhead speed and the angle of the clubface at impact. You can use this spin rate to calculate the normal and tangential forces, which will then affect the ball's flight path.

In terms of resources, I would suggest looking into physics textbooks or online resources that discuss the Magnus effect and its application in sports like golf. You may also want to consider reaching out to experts or professionals in the field for guidance and advice.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. How accurate is the program in simulating a golf shot?

The program uses advanced algorithms and data from real-life golf shots to accurately simulate the effects of a golf shot. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the input parameters and external factors such as wind and terrain.

2. Can the program be used to improve my golf game?

While the program can provide a realistic simulation of a golf shot, it is ultimately up to the user to apply the techniques and strategies learned from the simulation to their real-life golf game. Practice and proper technique are still key to improving one's golf skills.

3. What factors are taken into account in the simulation?

The program takes into account various factors such as the club used, ball speed, launch angle, spin rate, and environmental conditions such as wind and terrain. These factors are used to accurately predict the trajectory and distance of the golf shot.

4. Can the program be customized for different skill levels?

Yes, the program can be customized for different skill levels by adjusting the input parameters such as club selection and swing speed. This allows users of all skill levels to accurately simulate their golf shots and analyze their performance.

5. Is the program user-friendly for non-technical users?

The program is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use for non-technical users. It has a user-friendly interface and provides clear instructions on how to input the necessary data for the simulation. However, some basic knowledge of golf and its terminology may be helpful in understanding the results of the simulation.