Understanding Universe Expansion & String Theory

• Thread starter Prairie
  • Start date
In summary: This has been really helpful. In summary, the two experts discuss the role of space and time in regulating the expansion of the universe, and how string theory might help to understand this. They also discuss how string theory is a wonderful thought exercise but doesn't really hold up to scrutiny.
Prairie
Regarding Universe Expansion:
Does the fabric of SpaceTime play a role in regulating the expansion of the universe? And if so does anyone have any recommendation of intermediate readings that could help me to understand this role?

Regarding String Theory:
I know I haven't read eonough on this subject but I've got a conceptual block... A string to me is a complex structure. Yet this particular structure is suppose to be a fundamental thing. To me a point is a fundamental structure. I'm just having trouble conceptualizing I suppose. Any suggested readings here would be greatly appreciated as well.

Space news on Phys.org
A point is a zero-dimensional object. A string is a one-dimensional object; it is one (and only one) degree of freedom.

The whole point of a string being a string rather than a point is this:

It is the zero-dimensional point particles that are causing all the infinities when reconciling GR and QM. A zero-D particle means that the "energy divided by time" transfer between particles ends up as an infinite (or undefined) number. If the fundamental object has at least one dimension, then transfer of energy (say, in a collision) is not infinite.

Last edited:
Welcome to Physics Forums, Prairie!
Prairie said:
Regarding Universe Expansion:
Does the fabric of SpaceTime play a role in regulating the expansion of the universe? And if so does anyone have any recommendation of intermediate readings that could help me to understand this role?
To say the least, the expansion of the universe is the expansion of spacetime (direct role). But also, the expansion of the universe is regulated by gravity (which slows down expansion) and "dark energy" (which speeds up expansion). With Einstein's Relativity, 'gravity' can be thought of as the behavior of spacetime. Dark energy is still a mystery.

Regarding String Theory:
I know I haven't read eonough on this subject but I've got a conceptual block... A string to me is a complex structure. Yet this particular structure is suppose to be a fundamental thing. To me a point is a fundamental structure. I'm just having trouble conceptualizing I suppose. Any suggested readings here would be greatly appreciated as well.
I'm not sure I buy string theory, but first you should get rid of the image of a string that you may find around your house and try to imagine a tiny (no...even smaller) 1-D segment...perhaps like a little energy loop instead of an energy point. But isn't a string made up of points you ask? Perhaps mathematically, but how do you get any number of zero-dimensional things to add up to anything at all? Just a thought to help visualize it.

Thank you both for the excellent explanations. My main interest actually concerns the relationship between Spacetime and matter. How the two are so intimately dependant, yet they do funky, and violent, things to each other.

String theory is a wonderful thought exercise for me at this point. Pardon the pun. And I wish all the string theorists the best of success. But talk about going for the jugular... wow.

Thanks again you guys.

What is the theory of universe expansion?

The theory of universe expansion is the idea that the universe is constantly expanding in size. This theory is supported by observations of the redshift of light from distant galaxies, which suggests that they are moving away from us at increasing speeds.

What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

What is the role of dark energy in universe expansion?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. It is believed to make up about 68% of the total energy in the universe, but its exact nature is still not fully understood.

What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe by describing them as tiny, vibrating strings. It is a popular candidate for a theory of everything, but has not yet been proven or fully accepted by the scientific community.

How does string theory relate to universe expansion?

String theory could potentially provide an explanation for the expansion of the universe by incorporating gravity into the other fundamental forces. It also suggests that there may be extra dimensions beyond the four we currently know, which could have implications for the shape and size of the universe.