Real Roots of x^5 + x + c Equation: [-1,1]

• Thread starter lkh1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, the equation x^5 + x + c = 0 has at most 1 real root on the interval [-1,1]. This is because the function is nondecreasing and has no local minimum or maximum, making it similar to the one-to-one function y = x^3. Therefore, the graph can only intercept the x-axis at most one point.
lkh1986
Question: How many real roots does the equation x^5 + x + c = 0 have on the interval of [-1,1]?

I try to differentiate the equation, then I obtain 5x^4 + 1.

When at its local minimum or local maximum, 5x^4 + 1 = 0.

So, there is no solution for the equation, since 5x^4 + 1 > or = 1

So, I conclude that the graph of x^5 + x + c is increasing when x increases. So, I think the answer to this question is there is at most 1 root for the equation x^5 + x + c = 0. (Since c can take any value, we can shift up and down the graph, so there is at least one real root)

Is my answer correct? Or is there any other way to solve thi problem? Thanks :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct to say the function is nondecreasing everywhere, but you have to find the number of real roots on the interval [-1,1]. This will depend on the value of c.

Yes, so what I can know from here is that the graph increases all the way up. So, there is no local minimum or maximum. It is more or less like the graph of y = x^3, where it is a one-to-one function.

So, I assume that the graph of y = x^5 + x + c is also a one-to-one function, where therefore, the graph can only intercept x-axis at most one point.

1. What is the significance of the interval [-1,1] in the equation?

The interval [-1,1] represents the range of values for the variable x that will be evaluated in the equation. This interval is important because it gives a specific range in which the real roots of the equation can be found.

2. How do you determine the real roots of the equation?

The real roots of the equation can be determined by finding the values of x that make the equation equal to 0. This can be done through various methods such as factoring, using the quadratic formula, or graphing the equation.

3. Can this equation have complex or imaginary roots?

No, this specific equation only has real coefficients and therefore can only have real roots. Complex or imaginary roots would require the presence of non-real coefficients.

4. What is the highest degree of this equation?

The highest degree of this equation is 5, as indicated by the exponent on the x term. This means that the equation is a quintic polynomial.

5. How does the value of c affect the real roots of the equation?

The value of c can affect the real roots of the equation by shifting the curve of the function either vertically or horizontally. This can change the location of the roots and potentially create more or less real roots depending on the value of c.