Learning Definite Integrals for BC Calc Course

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Riemann sums in calculating the area under a curve and its relation to the definite integral. It was mentioned that Riemann sums are used in the proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and are helpful in understanding the concept of the definite integral. There was also a mention of using LaTex to write mathematical notation on the computer.
DougD720
Hello everyone, i have been teaching myself some basic calculus from a coupld textbooks (high-school level) my mom brought home. I'm currently in an Analysis class, next year i will be taking a BC Calc. course.

My question is this, (it comes from the fact that I've kind of been skipping around in the books).

The definite integral of a curve from x1 to x2 gives you the Exact area under the curve right?

I only ask because the books both cover a lot of riemann sums and stuff, like breaking the curve up into smaller portions (rectangles) and such. Why would one do that when you can calculate the Exact area from the definite integral?

Or am i wrong, haha, sorry for the extremely basic question, I've only learned the basics of limits, derivatives and integrals.

Thanks for the help =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Riemann sums are used in the proof that the definite integral gives the area.

DougD720 said:
Hello everyone, i have been teaching myself some basic calculus from a coupld textbooks (high-school level) my mom brought home. I'm currently in an Analysis class, next year i will be taking a BC Calc. course.

My question is this, (it comes from the fact that I've kind of been skipping around in the books).

The definite integral of a curve from x1 to x2 gives you the Exact area under the curve right?
That's one specific use: if y= f(x) is positive for x between x1 and x2, then [itex]\int_{x_0}^{x_1}f(x)dx[/itex] is the exact area under the curve.

I only ask because the books both cover a lot of riemann sums and stuff, like breaking the curve up into smaller portions (rectangles) and such. Why would one do that when you can calculate the Exact area from the definite integral?

Or am i wrong, haha, sorry for the extremely basic question, I've only learned the basics of limits, derivatives and integrals.

Thanks for the help =)
Well, except when some really nasty teacher gives you a homework assignment where you are required to compute a limit of Riemann sums in order to learn exactly how they give the same thing as the anti-derivative, there is no good reason not to evaluate the anti-derivative at the limits of integration.

However, it is a really good idea to understand the concept of Riemann sum because it so often is a good way setting up the definite integral in a specific application. For example, "work" done by a varying force can be calculated by treating the force as constant over short intervals so that the work over each interval is a product of force times distance: [itex]f(x_i)\Delta x[/itex] and then summing over the intervals:
[tex]\Sigma f(x_i)\Delta x[/tex], a Riemann sum. Taking the limit as the number of intervals goes to infinity (and the length of each interval to 0), this becomes the integral
[tex]\int_{x_0}^{x_1}f(x)dx[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
I see, thank you, very helpful, i'll go back to that part, thanks!

By the way, when you guys are writing the mathmatical notation (such as above) on the computer, what program are you using? I know how to do it in word, it's just annoying at times.

Thanks again!

We use LaTex. This forum has a compiler enabled, so one can easily type/copy-paste the code and put it btw [ tex ] [ /tex ] (without the spaces) to create formulas, or [ itex ] [ /itex ] (without the spaces) to put the same formulas inside the written text.

The are numerous tutorials on LaTex on the internet. Just google for "LaTex tutorial"

Daniel.

I've always believed that The Fundamental Theorem Of Calculus, which provided us the Ability to work out the exact area under a continuous smooth function was the original way of working out the Definite Integral, and the Riemann Sums were merely an attempt at a rigorous definition of the Definite Integral.

Yes, it helps us understand what the definite integral actually is, and useful for teaching students who haven't learned Calculus yet how to find the area under some curves (even if the method takes a while), but it is one one of the many different definitions of the Definite Integral.

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has a lower and upper limit, which define the range of the integral.

Why is learning definite integrals important for BC Calc course?

Definite integrals are an essential tool in BC Calc course as they are used to solve a variety of problems related to finding the area under curves, calculating volumes, and determining the average value of a function.

What are the steps to solve a definite integral?

The steps to solve a definite integral are:

• Identify the function and the limits of the integral.
  • Use integration techniques to find the indefinite integral of the function.
  • Substitute the limits of the integral into the indefinite integral.
  • Evaluate the integral and simplify the result.

What are the different types of definite integrals?

The two main types of definite integrals are definite integrals with a constant limit and definite integrals with variable limits. Other types include improper integrals, multiple integrals, and line integrals.

How can I improve my understanding of definite integrals?

To improve your understanding of definite integrals, you can practice solving various types of definite integrals, familiarize yourself with integration techniques, and review the fundamental concepts of calculus. You can also seek help from your teacher or peers, and use online resources such as videos and practice problems.