A question about perfect squares

• Thread starter Ore4444
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Squares
In summary, the conversation discusses a task to find a 4-digit perfect square with unique digits and a prime square root. The answer is found through finding prime numbers between 32 and 100 and squaring them. There are exactly nine possible answers. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of Mathematica to solve the problem.
Ore4444

Homework Statement

I've been given a task to find "A 4-digit perfect square whose digits are all unique, and whose square root is a prime number".
That's all. I know that there are about 10 possible answers and I need them all.
Thanks a lot for any future help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you really mean to put this in the physics section?

Square root of 1000 is 31 point something so that would be too small. Square root of 1000 is, of course, 100 so you are looking for prime numbers between 32 and 100.
Seems to me, squaring all primes between 32 and 100 would do it would give you the answer.

I wasn't sure if this was the right forum either but I thank you for your answer.
I'll try to do what you said. :)

And there are exactly 9 of them.

HallsofIvy said:
Did you really mean to put this in the physics section?

Square root of 1000 is 31 point something so that would be too small. Square root of 1000 is, of course, 100 so you are looking for prime numbers between 32 and 100.
Seems to me, squaring all primes between 32 and 100 would do it would give you the answer.

Why is square root of 1000, 100? Why only up until 1000? The maximum value possible for 4 digit number is 9999

[EDIT]

Oh I just realized you meant to put 10000 lol, ok fair enough

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.
I solved it. The answer was 5329.

Ore4444 said:
Thank you.
I solved it. The answer was 5329.

That's one answer. There are more answers, just to let you know.

CompuChip said:
And there are exactly 9 of them.

As I said :smile:

But the question was
I've been given a task to find "A 4-digit perfect square [...]
so I guess one is enough.

Oh yes, but I needed only this one.

Mathematica is cool :cool: :biggrin:

Code:
Table[If[PrimeQ[n] && Length[Union[IntegerDigits[n^2]]] == 4, 
   Print["n = ", n, "; n^2 = ", n^2]], 
     {n, Floor[Sqrt[999]], Sqrt[10000]}];

n = 37; n^2 = 1369
n = 43; n^2 = 1849
n = 53; n^2 = 2809
n = 59; n^2 = 3481
n = 61; n^2 = 3721
n = 71; n^2 = 5041
n = 73; n^2 = 5329
n = 79; n^2 = 6241
n = 89; n^2 = 7921

1. What is a perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that is the result of multiplying two equal integers together. For example, 9 is a perfect square because it is the result of multiplying 3 x 3.

2. How do you find the square root of a perfect square?

The square root of a perfect square is the number that when multiplied by itself, gives the perfect square. For example, the square root of 9 is 3 because 3 x 3 = 9.

3. What are some examples of perfect squares?

Some examples of perfect squares include 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, etc. These are all the result of multiplying an integer by itself.

4. How can you tell if a number is a perfect square?

A number is a perfect square if its square root is a whole number. You can check this by finding the square root of the number and seeing if it is a whole number without any decimals or remainders.

5. Are there any patterns or rules for perfect squares?

Yes, there are some patterns and rules for perfect squares. For example, all perfect squares end in either 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, or 9. Additionally, the sum of any two consecutive odd numbers is always a perfect square.