Can EEG Readings Differentiate Between Human and Animal Brain Activity?

In summary, the EEG readings of humans and other animals can be used to identify states and abnormalities in reference to their established baselines, but the readings do not offer a great deal of insight compared to other neurological assessments.
Barfolumu
Do humans have different EEG readings than animals?

Biology news on Phys.org
Aren't humans animals? Maybe be more specific. Humans vs Reptiles or Humans vs Birds.

I suppose a human vs. mammals. They are animals, but I thought perhaps because of higher cognitive thought, they might have different EEG scans.

Barfolumu said:
I suppose a human vs. mammals.

:uhh: Humans are mammals too.

I can't do a full search right now, so I'll rely on folks I knew from the med school.

They used EEG's on dogs to gauge the effects of drugs that control epilepsy before the drugs were allowed on human test subjects. This was because if a dog were epilpetic the EEG was distinctive just like it is for humans. And if the meds were helpful it was obvious from the EEG.

The extent to which alpha waves or whatever are present in dogs and are similar to humans I do not know.

Moonbear said:
:uhh: Humans are mammals too.

I realize that. That would be the relevance -- can we distinguish between humans and other mammals based upon objective scans.

jim mcnamara said:
I can't do a full search right now, so I'll rely on folks I knew from the med school.

They used EEG's on dogs to gauge the effects of drugs that control epilepsy before the drugs were allowed on human test subjects. This was because if a dog were epilpetic the EEG was distinctive just like it is for humans. And if the meds were helpful it was obvious from the EEG.

The extent to which alpha waves or whatever are present in dogs and are similar to humans I do not know.

Thanks. I couldn't find anything on it, myself, and I was scanning databases of peer reviewed journals. Could be I just didn't put in the right words, I just thought it might help to drop a question here.

Hi all

I find it really hard to find something comparing species EEG.
I finally got something good:

http://cogprints.org/2572/

Hope it's also useful for you

I think that it's important to realize just what an EEG is and how it is used in a clinical setting. There are established baselines and norms for humans and animals used in experimentation, and the point is generally to identify states and abnormalities in reference to that baseline. Unlike an EKG, an EEG doesn't really tell much of a story, compared to say, fMRI or a PETscan.

The neurological activity of dogs can be compared to other dogs, but to people? Consider using an EEG on a crow: you would see a very different graph from a mammal, but would you be able to tell anything meaningful without establishing a great deal of baseline work, and tests? Of course not. EEG is a crude tool, and best used on humans and other animals for whom the requisite research has been performed.

I wonder if the core question here isn't about how actual brain functions differ between humans and other animals, in which case the EEG really gets in the way, rather than offering a source of illumination. Again, consider our friend the crow, which uses radically different structures to perform feats we usually consider to be the realm of our prefrontal cortex, and frontal lobe. Only through dissection, observation of behaviors, and modern imaging techniques has this become apparent. An EEG might show increased activity, but what does that mean out of context? Is the crow thinking of how it will retrieve a snack, is it recognizing your face, or is it just ready to take a crap?

1. How do EEG readings differ between humans and animals?

EEG readings measure the electrical activity in the brain, and while the basic principles are the same for both humans and animals, there are some key differences. For example, the brain structures and functions vary between species, and this can affect the patterns and frequencies of the electrical signals recorded.

2. Can EEG readings be used to study animal behavior?

Yes, EEG readings can provide valuable insight into the brain activity underlying various behaviors in animals. They can be used to study sleep patterns, responses to stimuli, and the effects of different drugs or treatments on the brain.

3. Are there any limitations to using EEG readings in animals?

While EEG readings can be a useful tool in animal research, there are some limitations to consider. For example, the size and placement of electrodes may be more difficult in certain animals, and interpreting the data may be more complex due to species differences in brain activity.

4. How do researchers ensure ethical considerations when using EEG readings in animals?

Animal research is heavily regulated and ethical guidelines must be followed to ensure the well-being and humane treatment of animals. This includes obtaining approval from an institutional animal care and use committee, following strict protocols for handling and monitoring animals, and minimizing any potential pain or distress.

5. What are some potential applications of comparing EEG readings between humans and animals?

Comparing EEG readings between humans and animals can provide insights into the evolution and function of different brain regions and networks. It can also help to identify similarities and differences in brain activity that may inform the development of treatments for neurological disorders in humans.