Solve tanh(ax)=x: Fixed Points for Non-linear Dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the fixed points for the function f(x)=tanh(ax) as a function of a, where 0<a<infinity. Two methods were attempted, using the Taylor series approximation and the differentiation of the function, but neither provided an analytical solution. It was suggested to use Newton's method for numerical solutions. The definition of a fixed point was also clarified as being where x=f(x), not where the derivative of x is equal to the function.
Bill Foster

Homework Statement

Obtain the fixed points for the following as a function of a, where 0<a<infinity:

f(x)=tanh(ax)

Homework Equations

The fixed point is given by [tex]f(x^{*})=x^{*}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It's basically a math problem: tanh(ax)=x Find x in terms of a.

I tried it two ways:

[tex]\tanh{ax}=\frac{e^{ax}-e^{-ax}}{e^{ax}+e^{-ax}}=x[/tex]

This reduces to [tex]e^{2ax}=\frac{1+x}{1-x}[/tex]

Then I can take the Taylor expansion...

[tex]e^{2ax}=1+2ax+\frac{(2ax)^2}{2!}+\frac{(2ax)^3}{3!}+\frac{(2ax)^4}{4!}+...=\frac{1+x}{1-x}[/tex]

But as you can see, that doesn't really help.

Then I tried this:

[tex]\tanh{(ax)}=x[/tex]
[tex]ax=\tanh^{-1}{(x)}[/tex]

Differentiate both sides:

[tex]a=\frac{1}{1-x^2}[/tex]

Solve for x:

[tex]x=\pm \sqrt{1-\frac{1}{a}}[/tex]

Problem is, it doesn't work out in the calculator.

Suppose I let a=2. That means [tex]x=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

So the following should hold true:

[tex]\tanh{(\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}})}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

But it doesn't. The correct value is

[tex]\tanh{(\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}})}=0.88839[/tex]

Is there an analytical solution to tanh(ax)=x ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Answer: no.

nicksauce said:

Answer: no.

So would using the Taylor series approximation be the best way?

Or do you know of a better way?

As far as I know, the definition of fixed point you gave is wrong. The fixed point is defined as [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = f(x*) = 0 [/tex] (look at Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos, Steven H. Strogatz) then the problem is to find x* satisfying: [tex] tanh(x*)= 0 [/tex].. Additionally, although, [tex] tanh(x*) = x* [/tex] seems not to be solved anaytically, it can be solved numerically, but there may be inappropriate results if you use nonliiinear fixed point anaysis.

salai said:
As far as I know, the definition of fixed point you gave is wrong. The fixed point is defined as [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = f(x*) = 0 [/tex] (look at Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos, Steven H. Strogatz) then the problem is to find x* satisfying: [tex] tanh(x*)= 0 [/tex].. Additionally, although, [tex] tanh(x*) = x* [/tex] seems not to be solved anaytically, it can be solved numerically, but there may be inappropriate results if you use nonliiinear fixed point anaysis.

No, his definition of "fixed point" is correct. What you are referring to is an "equilibrium" point of a differential equation.

As nicksause said, there is no "analytic" solution to that equation. I would use Newton's method to numeraically solve the equation.

salai said:

That is incorrect. A fixed point is where x=f(x).

If f(x)=ax(1-x) where a<1, then the only fixed point will be at x=0, which is a trivial fixed point. When a>1, then fixed point will be given by x*=1-1/a

1. What is the significance of solving tanh(ax)=x for fixed points in non-linear dynamics?

Solving tanh(ax)=x for fixed points in non-linear dynamics helps us to understand the behavior of complex systems, such as biological and ecological networks, financial markets, and weather patterns. It allows us to identify stable and unstable points within these systems, which can help us predict their future behavior and make informed decisions.

2. How do you solve tanh(ax)=x for fixed points?

The most common method for solving tanh(ax)=x for fixed points is by using numerical methods, such as the Newton-Raphson method or the bisection method. These methods involve iteratively approximating the solution until a desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. Can tanh(ax)=x have multiple fixed points?

Yes, tanh(ax)=x can have multiple fixed points, depending on the value of the parameter 'a'. For certain values of 'a', there may be only one fixed point, while for others there may be multiple fixed points. The number and position of fixed points can also change as 'a' varies.

4. What is the relationship between tanh(ax)=x and the logistic map?

The logistic map is a well-known non-linear dynamical system that is closely related to tanh(ax)=x. In fact, when 'a' is equal to 1, tanh(ax)=x is equivalent to the logistic map. This relationship allows us to apply the same techniques used to analyze the logistic map to the equation tanh(ax)=x.

5. How is the concept of fixed points related to stability in non-linear dynamics?

In non-linear dynamics, fixed points are closely related to stability. Stable fixed points are points where a system will tend to remain or return to after small perturbations, while unstable fixed points are points where a system will move away from after small perturbations. Analyzing fixed points can help us determine the stability of a system and make predictions about its behavior.