Exploring Old & New Technology: One Item at a Time

In summary: The Muppet Show" on ABC in 1976.In summary, older technology was replaced by newer technology. Some of the older technology that was replaced included toothpaste tubes, Coke cans, radios, eight-track tapes, cars with unpadded steel dashboards, calculators, typewriters, lighters, and TV sets. Newer technology that took things to a new level includes the internet, mono HiFi, TV sets with VHF and UHF airwaves, and the iPhone.
rewebster said:
Something my dad never talked about, but I remember my uncle told me that's why my dad and mom were stationed in Hawaii in '47 and '48 while he worked on the project.

I remember sonic booms all the time back in the 50's (southern California)

I was a little young to truly understand what was going on.
We were visiting my grandparents (the only people I knew besides one of my friends parents that had a TV) a few weeks before the first hydrogen bomb test.
They had this truly horrible commercial describing the end of the world if they were allowed to continue. A few weeks later, I asked my parents if they had stopped it because we were still here.

The only time my friends parents ever let us come into watch TV was for the launch of the US Nautilus, the first atomic powered submarine. My parent's bought our first TV maybe a year later.
Before we got our TV we were driving thru the City and they had a COLOR TV running in one of the shop windows with a color show playing. My father parked the car and we walked back two blocks to look at it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember our first color TV --1965--I thought Bonanza was the first color show?--maybe it was just the most popular that was in color

I also remember that it had to be de-gauss-ed every once in a while by the local TV technician as the picture would turn green

We also got our first snowmobile that year--dad worked for a boat company where we lived in Minnesota about 100 miles NNW of the twin cities that tried to get in on the ground floor with snowmobiles---geeezz was that place cold---it stay below minus 10 days and nights for 7 days straight with lows going to -34 and -35---brrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:
rewebster said:
I remember our first color TV --1965--I thought Bonanza was the first color show?--maybe it was just the most popular that was in color

I also remember that it had to be de-gauss-ed every once in a while by the local TV technician as the picture would turn green

We also got our first snowmobile that year--dad worked for a boat company where we lived in Minnesota about 100 miles NNW of the twin cities that tried to get in on the ground floor with snowmobiles---geeezz was that place cold---it stay below minus 10 days and nights for 7 days straight with lows going to -34 and -35---brrrrrrrrrr
1965 was about the time that color TV became less expensive than a new car.
The show I mentioned (some special event like the Emmys or something) was in the neighborhood of 1954.

-30 - Brrrrrrrrrrrr is right! You can spit and it'll freeze before it hits the ground. Sounds like a little firecracker going off.

rewebster said:

I still have my dad's old degaussing coil.

8080a

The forefront of gaming software.

http://www.937mike.com/images/imagemanager/pacman.gif [Broken]​
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when a Chevy Nova was thought to be a smaller car. I saw one today and it looks huge compared to most sedans (not SUVs) on the road today.

Nah Mayday, pong was there first, LOL.

larkspur said:
I remember when a Chevy Nova was thought to be a smaller car. I saw one today and it looks huge compared to most sedans (not SUVs) on the road today.
My house-mate had a beautiful dark blue '62 Nova convertible with a white top, wide white-walls and regular (non-power) steering. It was a fairly heavy vehicle for its size, and standard procedure was to swing out a bit and cut your front wheels in the direction of your turn if you had to come to a stop (usually on left turns on 2-way roads) before you had to make a turn. Ronnie did this and was ready to turn into our street when an old lady in a Caddy slammed him from behind, shoving him into the front of an on-coming 3/4 ton GMC pickup. The results were not pretty. His car was totaled (luckily he was only slightly injured) and the insurance company left him with almost nothing, citing the age and depreciation of this pristine older car.

I remember when "I love Lucy" was a successful tv show...

When dad fitted a converter to the TV so we could receive ITV as well as BBC,
2 channels wow.

I remember my first movie to watch on tv (i don't remember the name) around 1955-57, A rich man would close his home and dismiss his staff, and winter in Florida, as soon as he left, this bum, who has been living in the park, would slip in through a basement window and take on the life of the rich man while he was gone, and when the rich man returned , the bum had closed down the house and release the staff, and removed all traces that he had been there.

It was a simple, but cute movie, most likely quite boring by todays standards.

Ivan Seeking said:
I still have my dad's old degaussing coil.

I found one at a garage sale for a buck--I thought that there's got to be another use for it (for that price!)

Yeah, not much use these days. I've tried degaussing my wife but it hasn't helped.

Until I was in around grade 6 or 7 or so we only had one TV channel, I remember being quite excited to have a satellite dish.

Ivan Seeking said:
Yeah, not much use these days. I've tried degaussing my wife but it hasn't helped.

I thought being magnetic was a good thing

Last edited:
rewebster said:
I thought being magnetic was a good thing

Not if you have a CRT telly.

I remember when central Maine had two TV stations, both out of Bangor. They broadcast shows from about 6-7am until 10-11 pm and and test patterns the rest of the time. Most of the daytime shows were local content - locals playing instruments and singing, with call-in conversations with fans, kids shows with local talent showing kids how to cut out silhouettes, draw, etc, with obligatory cartoon breaks. There was very little network content until the national news came on after supper, and then a few evening shows.

when one could crank a car if the battery was flat, now cranks drive cars.

wolram said:
when one could crank a car if the battery was flat, now cranks drive cars.

I remember when a car's battery was dead you could get a push either by hand or by another car a to start it.

I also remember my first few TV sets frequently had to have the vertical roll control knob adjusted. It took about ten years before the manufacturers started to put the blasted knob on the front of the set instead of on the back.

edward said:
I remember when a car's battery was dead you could get a push either by hand or by another car a to start it.
Ah yes, I used to live on the top of a hill, and our neighbors had a VW Bug that still worked that way, and I remember many times they'd start pushing the thing down the hill to get it started.

I also remember my first few TV sets frequently had to have the vertical roll control knob adjusted. It took about ten years before the manufacturers started to put the blasted knob on the front of the set instead of on the back.

Yep, remember that too! Though, I don't recall ever having that knob on the front. I must've hung onto the old TV set long enough that by the time I got a new one, we didn't need those vertical control knobs anymore. (Then it was the "tracking" button on the VCR.)

I remember the TV being a big beast in a wooden box, with the box on the floor behind it to adjust the antenna on the roof (until it got so out of whack that Dad had to go on the roof to adjust it), and having to replace tubes in the TV every so often.

11 pages, and nobody remembers party lines?? I cannot remember our ring tone, though.

We already talked about party lines, you obviously didnt read all the "11 pages"

D H said:
11 pages, and nobody remembers party lines?? I cannot remember our ring tone, though.

Someone mentioned party lines a page or so ago. We didn't have one, but my grandmother still had one when I was a kid...party line with the house behind her. Every so often you'd pick up the phone to make a call and someone would already be on it.

Moonbear said:
Someone mentioned party lines a page or so ago. We didn't have one, but my grandmother still had one when I was a kid...party line with the house behind her. Every so often you'd pick up the phone to make a call and someone would already be on it.

Apparently my grandpa used to get so mad when he needed to make a call to the elevator or something and the gossipy neighbour was inevitably on the phone for hours at a time so that he couldn't make his call. They also used to have a cat that would sit on the telephone line cutting off the phone for everyone on the party line, eventually someone would drive to the house to tell them to get the damn cat off the phone line.

Lol that's good.

scorpa said:
They also used to have a cat that would sit on the telephone line cutting off the phone for everyone on the party line, eventually someone would drive to the house to tell them to get the damn cat off the phone line.

That leaves me in the dark??

Our magneto/crank phone was replaced by a dial phone in 1970. I came home on a break from school, and found a brand-new dial phone in the front room.

Change comes slow in rural Maine, and the last magneto-crank phone system was finally converted in 1983 in Bryant Pond.
http://www.privateline.com/mt_telephonehistory/iv_the_telephone_evolves/07_part_g/ [Broken]

turbo-1 said:
Change comes slow in rural Maine, and the last magneto-crank phone system was finally converted in 1983 in Bryant Pond.
http://www.privateline.com/mt_telephonehistory/iv_the_telephone_evolves/07_part_g/ [Broken]

Maine got Rural Electrification when every one started to get it, as I recall. The "maine" driving force according the the NRECA archives was so folks could use refrigeration to save food from spoiling. A powerful motive down under or anywhere else. :smile:

What coop serves you guys?

I remember when you could have the students calculate the speed of a satellite (in meters/second) in a circular orbit of 12,988.259 km and then turn their calculators upside down to see the name of their favorite instructor.

That problem worked great on the old TI-25X and other 7-segment displays.

With a 31x96 dot LCD capable of displaying 2 lines of either symbolic notation and/or answers out to 10 digits or more, the problem just isn't nearly as entertaining on a Casio fx-300ES or graphing calculator.

No more designing problems to spell out cuss words when you turn the calculator upside down.

jim mcnamara said:
Maine got Rural Electrification when every one started to get it, as I recall. The "maine" driving force according the the NRECA archives was so folks could use refrigeration to save food from spoiling. A powerful motive down under or anywhere else. :smile:

What coop serves you guys?
Actually, we got electrified pretty early. The little town I grew up in (Moscow) had a large hydro dam commissioned in 1931. Its power was subscribed by a pulp and paper mill in Bucksport. Since the mill was completed before the dam, barges with package boilers and turbine generators were floated up the Penobscot river and moored alongside the mill to provide electricity.

Maine is a net exporter of electrical power due to all the hydro stations. Our area is served by Central Maine Power (transmission only) and Florida Power and Light (they bought all of CMP's generating capacity).

This was the definition of cool.

http://www.moviecritic.com.au/userimages/user624_1168917590.jpg

_Mayday_ said:
This was the definition of cool.

http://www.moviecritic.com.au/userimages/user624_1168917590.jpg

Having a suspicious lump in your spangly pants? :uhh:

Kurdt said:
Having a suspicious lump in your spangly pants? :uhh:

:rofl: ye what is that? I meant the whole over the top image. (minus the lump)

I remember you would give the cashier your credit card and she would place it under the small paper and slide the little thing back and forth to imprint the numbers onto the paper and carbon copy. I loved the sound those things made.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of "Exploring Old & New Technology: One Item at a Time"?</h2><p>The purpose of this project is to examine and compare old and new technology, highlighting the advancements and changes that have been made over time.</p><h2>2. How are the items chosen for exploration?</h2><p>The items are chosen based on their significance and impact on society, as well as their availability for examination and comparison.</p><h2>3. What can we learn from exploring old and new technology?</h2><p>By exploring old and new technology, we can gain a better understanding of how technology has evolved and how it has shaped our daily lives. We can also see the potential for future advancements and the impact they may have.</p><h2>4. Is this project focused on a specific type of technology?</h2><p>No, this project covers a wide range of technology, including but not limited to communication, transportation, entertainment, and household items.</p><h2>5. How can I contribute to this project?</h2><p>If you have an item that you think would be interesting to explore and compare, or if you have knowledge or expertise in a particular technology, you can reach out to the project team to discuss potential contributions.</p>

1. What is the purpose of "Exploring Old & New Technology: One Item at a Time"?

The purpose of this project is to examine and compare old and new technology, highlighting the advancements and changes that have been made over time.

2. How are the items chosen for exploration?

The items are chosen based on their significance and impact on society, as well as their availability for examination and comparison.

3. What can we learn from exploring old and new technology?

By exploring old and new technology, we can gain a better understanding of how technology has evolved and how it has shaped our daily lives. We can also see the potential for future advancements and the impact they may have.

4. Is this project focused on a specific type of technology?

No, this project covers a wide range of technology, including but not limited to communication, transportation, entertainment, and household items.

5. How can I contribute to this project?

If you have an item that you think would be interesting to explore and compare, or if you have knowledge or expertise in a particular technology, you can reach out to the project team to discuss potential contributions.