Maxwell's Equations: Exact or Approximate?

In summary, two physicists who disagree about the status of string theory may have a negative interaction.
ehrenfest
Are Maxwell's equations thought to be exact? I realize this question is very open-ended and loosely-phrased.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes they are. But keep in mind that each one of maxwell's equations inevitably contains some sort of fundamental constant (mu or epsilon usually; not to mention electric charge etc etc) which are measured quantities and therein not exact.
Does that answer your question?

Yes.

They're not exactly exact. QED makes slightly different predictions from classical electromagnetism.

Mathematically, correct hence exact. Physically, it's a good approximation and only an approximation to model phenomena. Hence not exact physically. Is anything exact physically? No.

lzkelley said:
Yes they are. But keep in mind that each one of maxwell's equations inevitably contains some sort of fundamental constant (mu or epsilon usually; not to mention electric charge etc etc) which are measured quantities and therein not exact.

lz, be careful.

which constant in Maxwell's equation is measured and not defined (to an exact value)?

Epsilon-not.

Mu-not is defined. At least, that's what my professor said.

Poop-Loops said:
Epsilon-not.

you mean this epsilon-not ?

tgt said:
Mathematically, correct hence exact. Physically, it's a good approximation and only an approximation to model phenomena. Hence not exact physically. Is anything exact physically? No.

I have one apple, I add another one, I have exactly two apples.

dst said:
I have one apple, I add another one, I have exactly two apples.
Well, if you take into account the masses of the apples, which is what is physically relevant when you buy apples, then you have less mass when the two apples are together, right ? :biggrin:

humanino said:
Well, if you take into account the masses of the apples, which is what is physically relevant when you buy apples, then you have less mass when the two apples are together, right ? :biggrin:
Pfft, technicalities. If truth be told, the error is in disguise - it's either present in the definition(s) or as a constant in whatever expression you're using.

On the other hand, there is no match for the physics of two cows™.

You have two communist cows.

Poop-Loops said:
Epsilon-not.

by the way, that's
epsilon-http://www.answers.com/naught&r=67" (epsilon-zero) and similarly for mu-naught.

Last edited by a moderator:
humanino said:

so, that applies, too, when two physicists get together?:wink:

humanino said:

Umm--what? Are you using special relativity?

rewebster said:
so, that applies, too, when two physicists get together?:wink:
I guess so :rofl:
edit
Actually, it depends. If they disagree on the status of "is string a theory ?", their interaction can be very exothermic.
ehrenfest said:
Umm--what? Are you using special relativity?
They have gravitational biding energy, don't they ?

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations in classical electromagnetism that describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, as well as their interactions with charged particles.

2. Are Maxwell's Equations exact or approximate?

Maxwell's Equations are considered exact in classical electromagnetism. This means that they accurately describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in most situations. However, they may not be applicable in extreme conditions, such as at very high energies or in the presence of extremely strong gravitational fields.

3. How were Maxwell's Equations developed?

Maxwell's Equations were developed by Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century. He combined the laws of electricity and magnetism that had been established by other scientists, such as Coulomb's law and Ampere's law, to create a unified theory of electromagnetism.

4. What are the four equations in Maxwell's Equations?

The four equations in Maxwell's Equations are Gauss's law, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law, and Ampere's law. These equations describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, including how they are generated and how they interact with each other.

5. How are Maxwell's Equations used in modern science and technology?

Maxwell's Equations are integral to our understanding of electromagnetism and are used in a wide range of applications, including telecommunications, electronics, and power generation. They also play a crucial role in modern technologies such as wireless communication, radar, and satellite navigation.