Building a Successful Faraday Cage for Cell Phone Signal Cancellation

In summary: The wavelength of a cellphone signal is about 1/3 of a meter. The gaps in the chicken wire cage did not allow the waves to penetrate. The metal box with steel wool did block the waves.
Krankles

Homework Statement

For my physics project I decided to make a Faraday cage to cancel out cell phone signal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For my first attempts at making a successful project I used chicken wire and wire mesh to make a cylindrical cage. Our goal was to cancel out all cell phone signals within the cage but we only managed to drop a few bars in service. We tried grounding the cage but we didn't notice any difference in signal strength. One cage had about 1cm gaps in between wire and the other had about 1mm. The second cage did produce better results but nothing satisfactory. IF anyone has any experience or has an idea for building a Faraday cage it would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The most effective Faraday cage would be a solid metal box (grounded). One other thing that might work well is steel wool.
Keep us updated on your results.

lzkelley said:
The most effective Faraday cage would be a solid metal box (grounded). One other thing that might work well is steel wool.
Keep us updated on your results.

Yea I knew the solid metal box would work well but never thought of using steel wool. I will try that and keep you guys posted on the results.

Thanks lzkelley, you're a legitimate badass. The steel wool idea worked. We made two working Faraday cages. One is a box lined with steel wool and the other is the solid metal box that is grounded.

Last edited:
Does grounding the box actually make a difference? I wouldn't have thought it would matter.

If you think of the metal as perfect conductors then no it doesn't matter -> either will work.

But if you take into account the dielectric properties of the metal, the grounding reduces it by an order of mag or 2, depending on the situation.

Hi Krankles welcom,

Did you tried put a radio inside of your first cage(chicken wire)? Does it working there?

I want to ask that, what is the relation between the wavelength and the gap of cage? As i know cellphone freq. is 900-1800MHz and velocity is 3*10^8 m/s thus, wavelength is max 1/3 meter. How this wave come inside?

1. How does a Faraday cage work to block cell phone signals?

A Faraday cage is a metal enclosure that is designed to block electromagnetic fields, including cell phone signals. The metal acts as a shield, reflecting and absorbing the signals, preventing them from reaching the inside of the cage.

2. What materials are needed to build a Faraday cage for cell phone signal cancellation?

The most important material for a Faraday cage is a conductive metal, such as aluminum or copper. You will also need wire, a soldering iron, and a grounding wire to complete the cage.

3. Can any size or shape of Faraday cage be effective in blocking cell phone signals?

Yes, any size or shape of Faraday cage can be effective as long as it is made with conductive material and properly sealed to prevent any gaps. However, larger cages may require more materials and a stronger grounding system to be effective.

4. Are there any safety concerns when building a Faraday cage for cell phone signal cancellation?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building a Faraday cage. Make sure to wear proper protective gear and work in a well-ventilated area when using soldering tools. It is also important to properly ground the cage to prevent any potential electrical hazards.

5. How can I test the effectiveness of my Faraday cage for cell phone signal cancellation?

You can test the effectiveness of your Faraday cage by placing a working cell phone inside the cage and attempting to make a call. If the call is unable to connect or the signal strength is significantly reduced, then the cage is working effectively. You can also use a signal meter or oscilloscope to measure the decrease in signal strength inside the cage.