Find a Recurrence Relation: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding a recurrence relation from a given problem. It is suggested that understanding the definitions and thinking about the problem is necessary. The conversation also mentions that having a series of numbers is not enough data to find a recurrence relation, and that spotting patterns and seeking help in online forums may be helpful in finding the solution.
tgt
How do you find a recurrence relation from a given problem?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Huh?

I think you need to give us some more info: what is the problem you are thinking of?

There is no "formula". You have to understand the definitions, understand what the problem is telling you and then think!

I've got a series of numbers starting with n=1 going up to n=7. I am told there exists a recurrence relation. Is that enough data to find this relationship?

tgt said:
I've got a series of numbers starting with n=1 going up to n=7. I am told there exists a recurrence relation. Is that enough data to find this relationship?

as in your series of numbers i; 1,2,3,4,5,6,7?

rock.freak667 said:
as in your series of numbers i; 1,2,3,4,5,6,7?

no. The series I'm told to find a recurrence relation for has the first 7 numbers given to me. I know have to find a recurrence relation for these numbers.

tgt said:
no. The series I'm told to find a recurrence relation for has the first 7 numbers given to me. I know have to find a recurrence relation for these numbers.

What you will need to do is to spot a pattern with the numbers. You should post your specific question in the homework forums, and show us what you have done towards answering the problem. Such a cryptic conversation as this will not help anyone!

cristo said:
What you will need to do is to spot a pattern with the numbers. You should post your specific question in the homework forums, and show us what you have done towards answering the problem. Such a cryptic conversation as this will not help anyone!

Advice taken. Here is the thread and the specific question.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1744031#post1744031

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence in terms of its previous terms. It is a way to describe a pattern that repeats itself.

2. Why do we need to find a recurrence relation?

Finding a recurrence relation allows us to predict the values of a sequence without having to explicitly list out every term. This can save time and effort in solving complex problems.

3. How do I find a recurrence relation?

To find a recurrence relation, you need to analyze the given sequence and look for a pattern in the values. This can involve using algebraic manipulation, substitution, or other techniques depending on the type of sequence.

4. Can a recurrence relation be used to solve any type of sequence?

Not all sequences can be described by a recurrence relation. Some may follow a random pattern or involve multiple variables that make it difficult to find a simple equation. However, many common sequences such as arithmetic, geometric, and factorial sequences can be described by recurrence relations.

5. How can I check if my recurrence relation is correct?

One way to check the validity of a recurrence relation is by comparing its predicted values to the actual values of the sequence. If they match, then the recurrence relation is likely correct. Additionally, you can also check if the relation follows the given initial conditions and if it produces the desired pattern in the sequence.