1/3 cannot be expressed in decimal form?

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary: I'm not sure I understand why some people feel there's a difference between the two.In summary, the conversation is about whether the decimal form of 1/3, which is 0.3~ (repeating), is allowed in college algebra. Some people argue that it is not allowed, while others believe that it can be represented as a rational number in decimal form. The discussion also touches on the concept of infinite decimals and how they relate to rational numbers. Ultimately, it is agreed that 0
Holocene
Somome told me this. So, this is wrong:

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{1}{3} = 0.\overline{3}}[/tex]

?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sure it can. What you wrote is the decimal form of 1/3.

Dragonfall said:
Sure it can. What you wrote is the decimal form of 1/3.

It seems so obvious that it can be. But someone claimed "it's not allowed in college algebra"...:confused:

I did that once on a homework assignment: wrote 0.3 with a bar over the 3 instead of writing 1/3. My teacher, who had a great sense of humor, pointed it out to the class, explaining that the bar prevented me from using an infinite amount of paper to express my answer.

Doesn't that go against the definition of a rational number?

This appears to be yet another question on 0.999...=1 in disguise.

epkid08 said:

pi isn't rational, but that doesn't stop us from using it in algebra?

I wasn't talking about using irrational numbers in algebra:confused:...

I was saying that a number that can be expressed as a simplified fraction, can also be expressed as a repeating decimal. That's one of the definitions of a rational number.

epkid08 said:

I was saying that a number that can be expressed as a simplified fraction, can also be expressed as a repeating decimal. That's one of the definitions of a rational number.

My mistake. I now read your original post as advocating that, yes, you can in fact represent 1/3 in decimal form.

You cannot write 1/3 in a FINITE series of decimals.

That does not prohibit, you, however, from inventing a symbol to signify an INFINITE series of decimals, by which 1/3 might certainly be written down.

epkid08 said:

No, it doesn't. A rational number is one that can be represented as a fraction. It doesn't mean that it cannot also be represented in other forms also.

Was the person who told you this trying to tell you that 1/3 could not be expressed in a finite decimal? That would turn out to be a true statement. Otherwise I agree with all the above posts.

HallsofIvy said:
No, it doesn't. A rational number is one that can be represented as a fraction. It doesn't mean that it cannot also be represented in other forms also.

I don't understand your post. You're saying I'm wrong, but you're also agreeing with me?

epkid08 said:
I don't understand your post. You're saying I'm wrong, but you're also agreeing with me?

HallsofIvy responded to this:

epkid08 said:
His comment is entirely explicable due to the complete paucity of content in that post!

By an oversight, he didn't identify this with you:

epkid08 said:

This is NOT what you said in your first post, it is impossible to deduce the contents of this post from the first one, so given HoI's oversight, how should he have understood what your first post meant?

My first comment was directed at your initial post, "1/3 cannot be expressed in decimal form." I responded, "[If 1/3 is not equal to .3~] Wouldn't that go against the definition of a rational number?" Which it does. How are people confused by this?

Don't worry epkid08. I realized that your first reply was a direct response to the original poster and took it the way that I'm sure you meant it to be interpreted.

Some people (quite understandably) thought that you were responding to the immediately previous reply and that made it look a little like you were saying the opposite of what I (and I'm sure others) understood you to be saying.

Might be a good idea to quote which ever post you want to reply to...

yenchin said:
Might be a good idea to quote which ever post you want to reply to...

Who are you talking to? how ironic

This is off-topic, but I've always wondered why many people who refuse to believe that 1 = 0.9... readily believe that 1/3 = 0.3...

Reminds me of 1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16+1/32...=1

epkid08 said:
Who are you talking to? how ironic

No one in particular. A general comment. :wink:

uman said:
This is off-topic, but I've always wondered why many people who refuse to believe that 1 = 0.9... readily believe that 1/3 = 0.3...

Please clarify that 1 = 0.9...

I could see if you are rounding but I do not see those to be equal by definition.

Ignea_unda said:

I could see if you are rounding but I do not see those to be equal by definition.

That's "1 = 0.9999..." and they are equal by definition
but most people have a very fuzzy notion of what a real number is, so few people have no idea how to interpret 0.9999... correctly

sketchtrack said:
Reminds me of 1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16+1/32...=1
Reminds me of a thread I once posted where I had to describe the series of 0.3,0.33,0.333,0.333, ... and all I needed to do was to write it out as a geometric progression

Ignea_unda said:

There's also a thread on why 0.9999...=1 as well.
Fun way (for me) to show it was to say that there is no number,a, such that 0.999999999999...<a<1. Those were some strange times.

Idnea_unda: 0.9... is just a shorthand way of writing [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{9}{10^k}[/tex], which clearly equals one.

What does it mean when it is said that "1/3 cannot be expressed in decimal form"?

When a number cannot be expressed in decimal form, it means that it cannot be written as a finite number of digits after the decimal point. In other words, there is no way to represent the number as a decimal with a definite number of digits.

Why is it not possible to express 1/3 in decimal form?

This is because the decimal system is based on powers of 10, while 1/3 is a repeating decimal with a base of 3. Therefore, it cannot be accurately represented in the decimal system without an infinite number of digits.

How is 1/3 typically represented if it cannot be expressed in decimal form?

1/3 is usually represented as a fraction or as a decimal approximation, such as 0.333... or 0.33. However, these representations are not exact and are only approximations of the true value of 1/3.

Does the fact that 1/3 cannot be expressed in decimal form make it less of a valid number?

No, 1/3 is still a valid number and has the same value as any other number. It is simply not possible to express it in decimal form without using an infinite number of digits.

Are there other numbers besides 1/3 that cannot be expressed in decimal form?

Yes, there are many other numbers that cannot be accurately represented in decimal form, such as 1/7, 1/9, and √2. These numbers are known as irrational numbers and have an infinite number of non-repeating digits after the decimal point.