Infinite series sum of (-1)^n/lnx

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the convergence of the series (-1)^n/lnx and considers various tests such as the ratio and root test, comparison test, and alternating series test. It is determined that the series is conditionally convergent based on the alternating series test, but another test is needed to determine if it is absolutely convergent.
JoeTrumpet

Homework Statement

Find if the series is absolutely convergent, conditionally convergent, or divergent.

The sum from two to infinity of (-1)^n/lnx.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to integrate 1/lnx, so that failed. The ratio and root test don't seem to simplify matters any further. I wasn't sure of anyway I could use the comparison test or limit ratio test. I used Alternate Series Test so I at least know that it's convergent, but I don't know if it's conditionally convergent or absolutely convergent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try thinking some more about comparision tests.

That is an alternating series (that's crucial) and ln(x) is an increasing function. What does that tell you?

Hm, would it be reasonable to say that because n > ln(n) for all n from 2 to infinity, 1/ln(n) > 1/x, which is divergent, thus making 1/ln(n) divergent and the sum from 2 to infinity of ((-1)^n)/ln(n) conditionally convergent? It didn't really occur to me to compare a transcendental function to an algebraic function (if it's even legal, anyway). Thanks for the help (assuming my solution was okay)!

Last edited:
Yes, the "alternating series" test says simply that if terms of [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] are alternating in sign and |an| is decreasing, then the series converges. In fact, it is easy to see that, given any N, the entire sum lies between the partial sum up to N and the partial sum up to N+1.

But would that test be useful if you're distinguishing between whether something is absolutely convergent or conditionally convergent?

It will possibly tell you if it's conditionally convergent. You'll need another test to answer whether is absolutely convergent or not. Something like the integral test or a comparison test.

What is an infinite series sum?

An infinite series sum is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is represented by the Greek letter sigma (∑) and is written as the sum of each term in the series. The value of an infinite series sum may approach a finite number or may diverge to infinity.

What is (-1)^n/lnx?

(-1)^n/lnx is a term in an infinite series. The value of n determines whether the term is positive or negative, while lnx represents the natural logarithm of x. This term alternates between positive and negative values as n increases, with each term becoming smaller in magnitude.

What is the significance of (-1)^n/lnx in an infinite series sum?

This term is important because it causes the infinite series sum to alternate between positive and negative values, making it possible for the series to converge to a finite number.

Under what conditions does the infinite series sum of (-1)^n/lnx converge?

The infinite series sum of (-1)^n/lnx converges if the absolute value of each term in the series is smaller than the previous term, and approaches zero as n approaches infinity. This is known as the alternating series test.

How is the value of an infinite series sum of (-1)^n/lnx calculated?

The value of an infinite series sum of (-1)^n/lnx is calculated by taking the limit as n approaches infinity of the sum of all terms in the series. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as the alternating series test or by using computer programs or calculators.