Ksp of Calcium Hydroxide - A Percentage Error of 480%?

In summary, Ksp of Calcium Hydroxide - A Percentage Error of 480%?? Homework Equations and Attempt at a Solution state that when titrating HCl and Ca(OH)2, the percentage error is 488%. This is most likely due to errors in the setup of the experiment, such as leaving acid or base on the sides of the flask, or at the tip of the burette used, or measurement errors.
Celer
Ksp of Calcium Hydroxide - A Percentage Error of 480%??

Homework Statement

I did a titration between HCl and Ca(OH)2. I use the indicator Phenopthalein I did most of my calculations and thru repeated checking cannot find any significant error in my calculations.

However, upon calculating the percentage error of this experiment, I got a whooping 488% error! I have no idea what kind of errors would cause such as huge percentage. I have never seen such a huge percentage myself.

Homework Equations

C = n/v to first calculate moles of HCl (C = 0.05 M)
Mole ratios to find moles of Ca(OH)2
C= n/v again to find concentration of Ca(OH)2
that would also be concentration of Ca2+ ions
x2 of concentration to find concentration of OH- ions
Ksp = [Ca][OH]^2

The Attempt at a Solution

These are my calculations and the data...

19 ml of HCl with concentration of 0.05 M
25 ml of Ca(OH)2

Setting up a titration between them using phenolpthalein in Ca(OH)2. HCl is dripped into the flask till pink color of pheno appears.

So calculations, I find out HCl moles is = 9.75 x 10^-4 mols
and thru stoichiometry, we find out Ca(OH)2 has half of that, 4.875 x 10^-4

and calculating that, concentraition of Ca(OH)2 is 0.01948 M

So Ca2+ concentration is 0.0198M
and
OH- concentration is double that, so 0.0389M

Setting up Ksp = [Ca][OH]^2
Ksp = 2.95 x 10^-5

Accepted Value* for Ksp of Ca(OH)2: 5.02 x 10-6

% error = ((experimental value – accepted value) / (accepted value)) x 100%
= 488%

What possible errors would cause such a huge percentage?

Acid or base was left on the sides of the flask, or at the tip of the burette used, measurement errors, air bubbles etc. should be relatively minor errors right?

Physics news on Phys.org

I tried reading it, but I don't think my teacher have taught up to there yet...

Is there another way to talk about ionic strength, and activity coefficients so that they kind of make sense in the context of this question?

Thanks.

You may try to google other sites, perhaps other way of explaining the problem will better suit you.

Basically in all expressions for equilibrium constants - like Ka, Kb, Kso and so on - you should use not concentrations, but activities. Page I have linked to shows how to calculate activity. First, you have to calculate ionic strength of the solution. In this case it will be just

[tex]I = \frac 1 2 (2^2[Ca^{2+}]+1^2[OH^-])[/tex]

Then it is just a matter of putting I and charges into Debye-Huckel equation to calculate logs of activity coefficients (different one for Ca2+ and different one for OH-, that's because they are function of both ionic strength and charge of ion). You have to calculate f1 - activity coefficient for all singly charged ions (regardless of whether they are positively or negatively charged) and f2 - activity coefficient for all double charged ions.

And as activity of an ion is just a concentration times activity coefficients, Kso looks like

[tex]K_{so} = f_2 [Ca^{2+}] (f_1[OH^-])^2[/tex]

Here comes tricky part, as ionic strength is calculated using concentrations, which can be calculated once you know activity coefficients, which you can calculate when you know ionic strength, which you can calculate when you know concentration... and so on. Best approach is as follows:

Assume activity coefficients equal 1.

repeat:
{
Calculate concentrations from Kso.

Calculate ionic strength.

Calculate activity coefficients.
} until results between actual and previous step are almost identical.

Most likely it will be enough to do the calculations twice or thrice. That'll give you real concentrations - ones that are determined by titration.

Celer said:
Setting up a titration between them using phenolpthalein in Ca(OH)2. HCl is dripped into the flask till pink color of pheno appears.

Huh? It should have been real pink at the start and the color should have faded when you added the HCl. Are you sure you titrated using HCl and not an unknown solution of Ca(OH)2? Think about the kind of error you might see if you had this backwards...

the error is in the indicator u should use black T or methyl orange
since u r using a weak base
phenolphthalaien does not work

Last edited:

Rami.makhlout said:
the error is in the indicator u should use black T or methyl orange
since u r using a weak base
phenolphthalaien does not work

Ca(OH)2 has a pH of around 12-13 in water. Phenolphthalein is appropriate to use as an indicator.

Ca(OH)2 has low solubility, but it is a strong base - ie its total concentration is not high, but whatever is dissolved it is fully dissociated.

then the error wil be in the dissolved amount. if not all the solid was dissolved then the experiment will give this error

Rami.makhlout said:
then the error wil be in the dissolved amount. if not all the solid was dissolved then the experiment will give this error

I am afraid you are wrong again. Assuming solution was not saturated, measured Kso should be lover than expected, not 5 times higher.

1. What is the Ksp of Calcium Hydroxide?

The Ksp (solubility product constant) of Calcium Hydroxide is 5.02 x 10^-6 at 25°C. This value represents the equilibrium constant for the dissociation of Calcium Hydroxide into its ions, Calcium (Ca2+) and Hydroxide (OH-) in water.

2. Why is the percentage error for the Ksp of Calcium Hydroxide so high?

The high percentage error (480%) for the Ksp of Calcium Hydroxide is likely due to experimental errors and limitations. These could include inadequate mixing of solutions, temperature fluctuations, or impurities in the materials used.

3. How does the Ksp of Calcium Hydroxide compare to other compounds?

The Ksp of Calcium Hydroxide is relatively low compared to other compounds. For example, the Ksp for Sodium Chloride (NaCl) is significantly higher at 36 x 10^-3. This indicates that Calcium Hydroxide is less soluble in water than other compounds.

4. What factors can affect the Ksp of Calcium Hydroxide?

The Ksp of Calcium Hydroxide can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the presence of other ions in solution. Increasing temperature and pressure can increase the solubility of Calcium Hydroxide, while the presence of other ions can decrease its solubility.

5. How is the Ksp of Calcium Hydroxide typically determined?

The Ksp of Calcium Hydroxide is typically determined through experimental methods, where the concentration of the ions in solution is measured and used to calculate the Ksp value. This can be done through titrations, spectrophotometry, or other analytical techniques.