Questions About Gravity: Answers to Understand

• Thread starter shayil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses questions about gravity and its effects on different scenarios. The first question asks about the difference between mass and weight and whether a person on a planet with double the gravity force of Earth would weigh twice as much. The second question addresses the relationship between the speed of a rotating object and the centrifugal force experienced by a person standing on it. The third question explores the possibility of simulating gravity forces in a controlled environment, such as in a NASA mission to a planet with higher gravity.
shayil
Hello everyone, first of all i would like to appolagize for my not so good english, so if you please try to answer to my question as simple as possible so i will understand.
i would also like to add I am not studying physics, never have all thought i might will some time. since its a subject that interest me.
ok so my question is this
A.theoreticly, if a man is on a small planet as small as ping pong ball, and since this planet is small this guy is very close to the gravity center of the planet, and let's say this planet have twice of the gavity force of Earth core, doesn't matter numbers right now. would that man body will be twice heavier? (if he weight 80 kg he will weight 160?)
my second question is this..
B.a Carousel is spinning in a very high speed,(the fast it spins the more gravity force it preduce?)
and let's say a man is standing in the middle of the Carousel at the part that doesn't spin, will the gravity force effect on him too? or for him to feel the gravity the Carousel needs to spin in a very unusuall speed
My 3rd question is this
If there will be a mission of NASA to send people to other planet with twice or three times the gravity force of Earth can they build a certin chamber the will simulate that force? like the oppsite of no gravity force they already have

if anyone can leave answers here as simple yet detailed answers here or to leave me a message or email me to Shayohayon@hotmail.com i couldn't thank you enough!
these questions had troubled my mind for a lot of time.. i really wish to know more. TY

Physics news on Phys.org
1. First of all, you must distinguish mass, which is a property of a body/particle, and weight which is actually a force.
If a man is on a planet which has twice of the "gravity force of earth", then he will feel he weighs more, but he'll not gain more mass.
The assumption that the man is closer to the core is not really needed once you've stated he feels more force, but generally gravity is a function of the distance (its proportional to the distance inversed and squared).

2. A carousel doesn't produce a gravity force (actually it does, but it is very small and I assume you haven't meant that kind of force), but a rotating body will feel a force we call a centrifugal force, which acts outwards. The centrifugal force is a function of how fast is spins, which is called the angular velocity, and usually denoted w, so
[tex]F=mw^{2}r[/tex]
So you see the force does grows as the angular velocity grows, but it also grows as the distance from the pivot grows.
So when a man stands on the pivot, r=0, and therefore he will feel no force (approximately, of course a man has dimensions, so part of him will be at a distance of the pivot. Another realistic reason why he feels no force is due to friction).

3. Well I believe there are many creative ways to simulate a force.
One was stated in question 2, although it's quite weird to rotate a room, and in what direction would you rotate it?

You can also feel an "imaginary" force acting on you while in the elevator- when the elevator accelerates upwards, you'll feel a bigger g force acting on you towards the floor, which will make you feel that you weigh more than usually.
When an elevator accelerates downwards you will feel exactly the opposite.

What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards one another. It is the force that holds objects together and gives weight to physical objects.

How does gravity work?

Gravity is caused by the curvature of space and time around massive objects. The more massive an object is, the more it warps the fabric of space-time, causing objects to be pulled towards it.

Is gravity the same everywhere?

Yes, gravity is a universal force that affects all objects with mass. However, the strength of gravity may vary depending on the mass and distance between objects.

What is the difference between gravity and weight?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other, while weight is a measure of the force exerted by gravity on an object. Weight may vary depending on the strength of gravity, while gravity itself remains constant.

Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

No, gravity is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be manipulated or controlled by humans. However, scientists are constantly researching and studying ways to better understand and possibly harness the power of gravity.