Mystery Substance in Fish Tank - What Could it Be?

In summary, the conversation covers concerns about a brownish substance found in a fish tank, potential solutions such as purchasing an algae eater or snails, and the possibility of algae causing harm to the fish, specifically a Bala shark. There is also discussion about the reproduction of snails and the importance of keeping the tank away from direct sunlight. The conversation also mentions the death of a Bala shark and questions about its cause.
Sting
I noticed this brownish substance along the walls of the fish tank containing my Bala Shark, Schrodinger, and this substance is also in the gravel.

The idea of purchasing an "algae-eater" to see whether it will feed off this substance crossed my mind but it could eat it without knowing what it is so that's a bit unreliable.

I'm thinking it may be algae but I'm not sure. Any ideas what it may be?

Biology news on Phys.org
Sounds like algae to me. Wipe it off the walls of the tank & vacuum the gravel now and then (simple siphon-thingy available in pet shops - - it's fun).

An algae eater might help, but I don't think it can keep up if you want things sparkling. Snails can help too, but they breed like rabbits (quickly, not warm-bloodedly) and quickly overrun your tank (impossible to get rid of - - don't do it unless you like snails).

Thanks Phobos.

I wiped the inside of the tank with a cloth (but I need to go purchase the equipment to clean the gravel).

I'm kind of worried not about my Bala shark. When he's resting, he's at an angle (facing downward). Is he losing equilibrium or can algae kill my bala shark?

Is it possible that an algae eater and myself and work together in keeping the tank clean?

As for the snails, could reproduction be slowed down if I purchase one and only one snail?

Sorry I'm full of questions today.

Snails

Depends much on the type of snail we are talking about. Some snails reproduce sexually, so you can effectively put a lid on reproduction by separating the male and female. But some reproduce asexually, so... you're kinda screwed.
Check out the species first.

Algae

If it is actually algae (and i think it is), try to put your fish tank away from direct sun light. (or do any trick to stop the direct sun light from coming to the tank).
I personally had a 120 litre fish tank, with only 2 gold fishes inside (weren't they living like kings :wink: ?), but the water tank was allday in direct sun light (it was in a room with windows from all directions ! so try to imagine it).
So the tank always had algae on its side, and it didn't really look good.
At the end i gave up ! i waited till the fishes died, and simply left the empty tank.

I'm not sure what could be causing your shark to rest as you say it does.

I forgot whether sharks had "swim bladders". Do they? If not, then they should probably fall to the "ground", when they rest.

Well, my bala shark died :frown:

Can bala sharks get heart attacks? I saw this one die right in front of my eyes. I moved closed to it and I guess it scared it. It tried jumping out of the tank and then landed stomach-side up.

Depends much on the type of snail we are talking about. Some snails reproduce sexually, so you can effectively put a lid on reproduction by separating the male and female. But some reproduce asexually, so... you're kinda screwed.

I just thought of that as soon as I hit the reply button. I will have to check the species out.

If it is actually algae (and i think it is), try to put your fish tank away from direct sun light. (or do any trick to stop the direct sun light from coming to the tank).
Yes, I've noticed the correlation between sunlight and the deposits of this substance so I'm assuming it's algae.

I'm not sure what could be causing your shark to rest as you say it does.

I have no clue but it was frightening.

I forgot whether sharks had "swim bladders". Do they? If not, then they should probably fall to the "ground", when they rest.

I think Bala Sharks have gas bladders (because they are related to carps). Sharks (the real ones) have a cartilage-based skeleton which is less dense than bone (which keeps them afloat).

1. What are the possible reasons for a mystery substance in my fish tank?

There are several possible reasons for a mystery substance in your fish tank. It could be a build-up of algae, uneaten food, or fish waste. It could also be caused by a chemical imbalance in the water or the introduction of a foreign object.

2. How can I identify what the mystery substance is?

The best way to identify the mystery substance is to observe its color, texture, and any other distinguishing characteristics. You can also use a water testing kit to check for any chemical imbalances that may be causing the substance.

3. Is the mystery substance harmful to my fish?

It depends on the nature of the substance. Some substances, like algae, are not harmful to fish but can affect the water quality. Other substances, such as chemicals or foreign objects, can be toxic to fish and should be removed immediately.

4. How do I get rid of the mystery substance?

The best way to get rid of the mystery substance is to perform a partial water change and use a gravel vacuum to remove any debris from the bottom of the tank. You can also use a specialized cleaning product, but be sure to follow the instructions carefully to avoid harming your fish.

5. How can I prevent a mystery substance from forming in the future?

To prevent a mystery substance from forming in your fish tank, it is important to maintain good water quality by performing regular water changes and cleaning the tank regularly. Avoid overfeeding your fish and keep an eye out for any foreign objects or changes in the appearance of the water.