Understanding Shankar's Principles of QM: Changing Basis of Operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of changing basis in linear algebra, specifically in terms of operators and matrices. The process involves finding a matrix that maps a vector representation from one basis to another, and using this to represent the operator in the new basis. It is recommended to read a linear algebra book, such as "Linear algebra done right" by Sheldon Axler, to fully understand this concept.
Dead Boss
Hi,

I'm reading Shankar's Principles of QM and I find it not very clear on how exactly should I change basis of operator. I know how to change basis of a vector so can I treat the columns of operator matrix as vectors and change them? Or is it something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is something a little different. Let [tex] v_1 [/tex] denote a vector represented in basis 1. Then to represent this same vector in terms of a different basis, basis 2, we need to find a matrix [tex]T_{1:2} [/tex] that maps any vector representation from basis 1 to basis 2. Thus if we let [tex] v_2 [/tex] denote that vector represented in basis 2, then
[tex] v_2 = T_{1:2} \, v_1 [/tex].
This means that
[tex] v_1 = T_{1:2}^{-1} \, v_2 [/tex]
so the matrix that maps a vector representation from basis 2 to basis one is
[tex] T_{2:1}=T_{1:2}^{-1} [/tex].

Now, if we have a matrix representation of an operator in basis 1, say [tex]A_1 [/tex], then it takes a vector represented in basis 1 and maps it to a different vector represented in basis 1. For our example let
[tex]y_1 = A_1 v_1 [/tex].
So if we want to represent y in basis 2 we have,
[tex]y_2 = T_{1:2} y_1 = T_{1:2} A_1 v_1 = T_{1:2} A_1 T_{2:1} v_2 [/tex].
Hence, if we want to represent the operator in basis 2, the matrix representation must be
[tex]A_2 = T_{1:2} A_1 T_{2:1} = T_{1:2} A_1 T^{-1}_{1:2} [/tex],
and we have
[tex]y_2 = A_2 v_2 [/tex]
as required. If you think about what is happening, it should be easy to remember.

Note that most linear algebra books will cover this.

jason

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Maybe I should do some linear algebra book first and then return to Shankar. Can you advise some good books about the subject?

"Linear algebra done right", by Sheldon Axler.

But you should start with this post about the relationship between linear operators and matrices.

I understand your confusion about changing the basis of operators in Shankar's Principles of QM. The process of changing the basis of operators can be a bit complex, but it is an essential concept in quantum mechanics. To answer your question, yes, you can treat the columns of an operator matrix as vectors and change their basis in the same way you would for a vector. However, it is important to note that the operator itself is not a vector, but rather a mathematical representation of a physical quantity. Therefore, the process of changing its basis involves more than just changing the columns of its matrix. It also involves transforming the mathematical representation of the operator to reflect its new basis. This can be done using techniques such as unitary transformations or diagonalization. I recommend reviewing these concepts in Shankar's book or seeking additional resources to fully understand the process of changing basis for operators in quantum mechanics.

1. What are Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is a book written by physicist Ramamurti Shankar that provides a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to the principles of quantum mechanics. It covers topics such as wave functions, operators, observables, and the Schrödinger equation.

2. What is the significance of changing basis of operators in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, operators are mathematical objects that represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy. Changing the basis of operators allows us to study these observables in different coordinate systems, making it easier to solve complex problems and gain a deeper understanding of quantum systems.

3. How does changing basis of operators affect the measurement of observables?

Changing the basis of operators does not affect the measurement of observables. The measurement of observables in quantum mechanics is based on the eigenvalues of operators, which remain unchanged regardless of the basis. However, changing the basis can provide different perspectives and insights into the behavior of quantum systems.

4. What are some common applications of changing basis of operators in quantum mechanics?

Changing basis of operators is commonly used in quantum mechanics to solve problems involving time-dependent systems, scattering processes, and composite systems. It is also used in various quantum computing algorithms such as the quantum Fourier transform.

5. Are there any limitations to changing basis of operators in quantum mechanics?

While changing basis of operators is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, it has some limitations. It may not always be possible to find a suitable basis for a given system, and the choice of basis can affect the complexity of the problem. Additionally, the results obtained from changing basis may not always be physically meaningful and require further interpretation.