Surgeries in Full Moon and New Moon

• Thread starter reinaldo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary: Surgeons and doctors are not necessarily critical thinkers. If it's true, a study would just confirm it, don't you think?Sept. 23, 2009 -- Full moon. Friday. After 5 p.m. Late summer. They say these are bad times to schedule surgery.In summary, surgeons say that they Hate to Perform surgeries when there is Full moon or New moon...in fact...Scheduled Surgeries they select them through out the mont except FM and NM...but they hate when they have Guard or On call duty, those days...Cause they say that Patients tend to Bleed more, and Blood is more uncontrollable...like blood behaving much like Ocean T
reinaldo
Surgeries in Full Moon and New Moon!

Hey Everybody, this is a Question that has been on my mind for so many years, i have a lot...a LOT of Friends whom are doctors (medics), surgeons specifically, and they don't know the other ones...i mean, i`ve known them through my nomadic living in several states...so the point is that Surgeons say that they Hate to Perform surgeries when there is Full moon or New moon...in fact...Scheduled Surgeries they select them through out the mont except FM and NM...but they hate when they have Guard or On call duty, those days...Cause they say that Patients tend to Bleed more, and Blood is more uncontrollable...like blood behaving much like Ocean Tides in Those days also!...i have ask them if there are studies about that, and they say that why bother in doing a study, when they can see always when an Emergency Happens on a full moon, that the surgerie gets more complicated and bloody...

What do you Think!...Could Blood behave just like tides!...

Physics news on Phys.org

reinaldo said:
they say that why bother in doing a study

Surgeons and doctors are not necessarily critical thinkers. If it's true, a study would just confirm it, don't you think?

Sept. 23, 2009 -- Full moon. Friday. After 5 p.m. Late summer. They say these are bad times to schedule surgery.

And except for the full moon hex, there are good reasons to think so. Surgical teams may be tired at the end of the day, worn out at the end of the week, or less experienced when new residents arrive in July and August.

But however reasonable or unreasonable, none of these theories holds water, find Cleveland Clinic researchers Daniel I. Sessler, MD; C. Allen Bashour, MD; and colleagues.

"This investigation can help assure future patients who may be concerned -- operation timing and moon phase did not affect outcome in our study," Bashour tells WebMD...
http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20090923/full-moon-fails-foil-surgery

A full moon is a moon without any of the Earth's shadow covering it. How would a shadow 240 thousand miles away have any effect on anything here on Earth? Would a shadow on Mars do something to us? What about a shadow on Pluto?
If I turn off the lights, I'll be covered in shadow. It's not 240 thousand miles away, it's actually touching me, yet it has no effect.

leroyjenkens said:
A full moon is a moon without any of the Earth's shadow covering it. How would a shadow 240 thousand miles away have any effect on anything here on Earth? Would a shadow on Mars do something to us? What about a shadow on Pluto?
If I turn off the lights, I'll be covered in shadow. It's not 240 thousand miles away, it's actually touching me, yet it has no effect.
No. The full moon is at opposition with respect to the Sun. The only time the Earth's shadow falls on the Moon is during a lunar eclipse. While I discount the theory of excessive bleeding, the "thinking" behind it is that gravitational effects are multiplied when the Earth, Moon, and Sun are lined up. Nothing to do with shadows.

turbo-1 said:
No. The full moon is at opposition with respect to the Sun. The only time the Earth's shadow falls on the Moon is during a lunar eclipse. While I discount the theory of excessive bleeding, the "thinking" behind it is that gravitational effects are multiplied when the Earth, Moon, and Sun are lined up. Nothing to do with shadows.

Thanks. I assumed I knew what caused the shadow on the moon. What a stupid thing to assume.
I also assumed I knew why they thought their quack idea worked and I didn't know that either.
Undeterred, I'll still be on the lookout for people who are dumber than I am.

Don't mess with anything on a full moon and a new moon. Don't even go in the woods. Nothing good ever happens on those two days.

KalamMekhar said:
Don't mess with anything on a full moon and a new moon. Don't even go in the woods. Nothing good ever happens on those two days.
How valuable is that insight! Perhaps we can extend the bans to days when the sun is in X house of the zodiac, too. Can't be too sure.

Kinda reminds me of spooky clocks during solar eclipses.

Oceans have tides because the Earth is so huge. The side of the planet that faces the moon is nearer to the satellite than the opposite side, so the gravity of the moon attracts each side differently.
This makes two forces with opposing directions. The Earth bulges in the direction of the Moon and in the opposite direction. The ocean, being fluid, has a greater bulge than the rocks.
A tiny human body makes no difference in the attraction of the Moon. The surgeon, that performs the operation, causes mere tide in the patient than the Moon.

Ivan Seeking said:

Nice link, Ivan. I especially like this part:

But none of these risks was more likely at any time of the day, day of the week, month of the year, or phase of the moon.

I think it's true that more strange stuff happens on nights around a full moon, but that's mainly because the extra light helps to encourage more outdoor night-time activity. And unless you're a ninja warrior with night vision goggles, I don't think a new moon will attract much extra activity.

berkeman said:
Nice link, Ivan. I especially like this part:
And unless you're a ninja warrior with night vision goggles, I don't think a new moon will attract much extra activity.

Yeah, that's me. So watch out! We call very weird or strange people 'Loonies'. The word Loony was derived out of Luna, the name of our moon. Just an interesting idea. Do you suppose that if the effects are not negligible, they are at least minimal? In other words, is there any possibility that the moon's gravitational pull affects blood loss during surgery? In any regard?

Fuzzystuff said:
Yeah, that's me. So watch out! We call very weird or strange people 'Loonies'. The word Loony was derived out of Luna, the name of our moon. Just an interesting idea. Do you suppose that if the effects are not negligible, they are at least minimal? In other words, is there any possibility that the moon's gravitational pull affects blood loss during surgery? In any regard?

Read my previous post!

Typical of a bunch of male chauvinists - nobody's mentioned menstruation.

That happens every 4 weeks to coincide with the moon's phases...

AJ Bentley said:
Typical of a bunch of male chauvinists - nobody's mentioned menstruation.

That happens every 4 weeks to coincide with the moon's phases...

My thought, too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClintock_effect" that when women spend time in close proximity to other women, their cycles may synchronize. I'm not sure though that surgical teams would spend enough time together for that to happen, though. That would be a very interesting study!

Last edited by a moderator:

lisab said:
My thought, too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClintock_effect" that when women spend time in close proximity to other women, their cycles may synchronize. I'm not sure though that surgical teams would spend enough time together for that to happen, though. That would be a very interesting study!

How many women do you know that have an exactly 29.5 days cycle?

Last edited by a moderator:

CEL said:
How many women do you know that have an exactly 29.5 days cycle?

Yes, that's also my main criticism of the analysis that I linked to. Also, all kinds of things can influence menstrual cycles - illness or stress, for example. It's reasonable to assume that the women who are living in the same conditions could experience these same disruptions. Perhaps that's what's causing the cycles to appear to synchronize.

The theory is controversial, but having experienced it myself, I can't dismiss it completely.

What, exactly, would a tide in the body do? Not that the moon could cause one. Blood pooling in the feet? In the head? What if you moon the moon, would the blood pool in your butt? Who makes this nonsense up?

Evo said:
What, exactly, would a tide in the body do? Not that the moon could cause one. Blood pooling in the feet? In the head? What if you moon the moon, would the blood pool in your butt? Who makes this nonsense up?

Well, it would explain some things. Like, why is it sometimes I'm not hungry, even though I haven't eaten much? Maybe I haven't lost my appetite - I'm just at high tide.

lisab said:
Well, it would explain some things. Like, why is it sometimes I'm not hungry, even though I haven't eaten much? Maybe I haven't lost my appetite - I'm just at high tide.
:rofl:

1. What is the belief behind surgeries being performed during a full moon or new moon?

The belief is that the moon's gravitational pull can affect the body's fluids, making it easier for wounds to heal and blood to clot during a full moon. On the other hand, during a new moon, the body's fluids are said to be at their lowest, making it a better time for surgeries that require less bleeding.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support this belief?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea that surgeries performed during a full moon or new moon have better outcomes. The moon's gravitational pull is not strong enough to have a significant impact on the body's fluids.

3. Are there any risks associated with scheduling surgeries based on the lunar cycle?

Yes, there can be risks associated with scheduling surgeries during a full moon or new moon. For example, if a surgery is postponed due to the lunar cycle, it can delay necessary medical treatment. Additionally, if a surgeon believes that the lunar cycle will affect the outcome of the surgery, they may not pay as much attention to other important factors that can impact the success of the procedure.

4. Do hospitals or surgeons consider the lunar cycle when scheduling surgeries?

No, hospitals and surgeons do not typically consider the lunar cycle when scheduling surgeries. Medical decisions are based on scientific evidence and the individual needs of the patient, not on superstition or beliefs about the moon's influence.

5. Are there any other factors that can impact the success of a surgery besides the lunar cycle?

Yes, there are many other factors that can impact the success of a surgery, such as the skill and experience of the surgeon, the patient's overall health, and the availability of advanced medical technology. These factors should always be prioritized over any beliefs about the lunar cycle.