Is Space Quantized? Exploring Electromagnetic Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantization in relation to electromagnetic fields and the creation of waves with infinite precision. It is noted that energy is only quantized in bound states and it is still an open question whether spacetime is quantized. The uncertainty principle and wave properties of matter are also mentioned as factors that limit the precision of controlling a charged object. To further understand quantization, one must study quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. The conversation also mentions a retired professor who is working on a quantum theory that includes quantized space-time. The conversation then shifts to a simple description that applies to two quantum processes and the question of why this description can explain both processes. The possibility of a connection to the issues of space and quant
jkg0
As I have not even taken an undergraduate course in quantum physics please overlook my ignorance. I am curious about the nature of the electromagnetic fields and quantization. In the class I just took on electromagnetism we learned Maxwell's equations. If I take the Helmholtz wave equation solution at face value I can use any frequency I like. I can pick a value for omega to infinite precision.

If I can move a charge in space-time with infinite precision I can create a wave of infinite information. This can't be true. Therefore I must not be able to create a wave of infinite precision. Is this because the energy I am using to create the wave is quantized, because space-time is quantized, or because the electromagnetic field itself is quantized?

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is only quantized in bound states and it's still an open question whether spacetime is quantized. The quantization of does lead to some constraints on exactly what and how much information can be recovered from it. However, I expect that the biggest constraints on what you're trying to consider come from the wave properties of matter. To wit, it isn't possible to control a charged object with infinite precision. This is not because of the quantization of spacetime, but because of the uncertainty principle.

To understand more about quantization you have to study quuantum mechanics and quantum field theory (which contains the quantization of the electromagnetic field)

If you are interested, a retired professor in the Georgia Tech physics department, Professor David Finkelstein, is attempting to work out a quantum theory which includes quantized space-time. He would characterize the current quantum theories as semi-classical. :)

I have concocted a rather simple description that (surprising to me, at least) describes two wholly unconnected (I think), yet very topical, and novel quantum models. I know the level of expertise here is such that the two answers will come quickly, but it's a little more fun to throw this open let the discussion go its own way. (The question I have is, simply, WHY does one description so well describe both. Is it just coincidence?) As a layperson, I will leave that to you experts. But I really would like to know the answer.

Now here's the description applying to 2 quantum processes:

FOR THE CREATION OF MATTER, TWO WAVES MUST "CRASH" TOGETHER WITHIN TIME.

(Why I brought this up in this thread is because I thought the answer just might have some connection to the issues of space and quantization ---the very big and the very small. But, again, I know little. I apologize if it's been placed wrongly.)

1. What is meant by "space quantized"?

"Space quantized" refers to the idea that space is not continuous, but rather it is made up of discrete, indivisible units. This concept is also known as "quantum foam" and is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics.

2. How do we know if space is quantized or not?

Scientists have conducted experiments using high-energy particles and have found that the behavior of these particles supports the idea of space being quantized. Additionally, theories such as quantum field theory and loop quantum gravity also support the concept of space being quantized.

3. What are electromagnetic fields and how do they relate to space quantization?

Electromagnetic fields are areas of energy that are created by the presence of electrically charged particles. In the context of space quantization, these fields are believed to be made up of discrete units, further supporting the idea that space is quantized.

4. Are there any real-world implications of space being quantized?

Yes, the concept of space being quantized has important implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It helps to explain phenomena such as the behavior of particles at the quantum level and the structure of black holes.

5. Is there any evidence that contradicts the idea of space being quantized?

While there is currently no strong evidence that definitively disproves the concept of space being quantized, it is still a topic of debate and further research is needed to fully understand the nature of space and its quantization.