Help with pressure wave analysis

In summary: No, the goal is to see which frequencies are present and to see if there are any patterns or trends in the data. If you're just looking to remove the noise, then you may want to try a filter or moving average. There are many different ways to analyze pressure waves, and the goal is to find the best way to understand the data. In summary, the data from the cannon is very noisy, and there is no way to remove the noise without using a filter or moving average. However, by measuring the frequencies present, it may be possible to better understand the data.
swishidge
For my work I am analyzing pressure waves. I am new to this however, and do not know very much. I have attached two plots of the same wave. One plot is a line plot, and the other is a dot plot. For my analysis, I am using MATLAB.

As can be seen from the two plots, my data is very noisy. There is nothing I can do about this however, so I will have to work with what I am given. I would like to use a filter, a moving average, or perhaps a combination to better understand the data, but I do not know which to use, why one would be better than the other, advantages, disadvantages, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Attachments

• lineplot.pdf
    26.8 KB · Views: 242
  • dotplot.pdf
    30.9 KB · Views: 204
Physics news on Phys.org
Without knowing your problem, it's hard to say which "peaks" are real and which ones are noise. Typically when I look at pressures in a CFD problem, I will perform FFT analysis afterward to see what frequencies show up in the solution.

Can you explain a little more about your setup and what exactly you're measuring?

Without knowing your problem, it's hard to say which "peaks" are real and which ones are noise. Typically when I look at pressures in a CFD problem, I will perform FFT analysis afterward to see what frequencies show up in the solution.

Can you explain a little more about your setup and what exactly you're measuring?

I am measuring the blast wave from a 105mm cannon. The data was collected using a static pressure gage. The pressure gage was located at the level of the cannon 10m away at a 45 degree angle, so the gage is actually 14.14m from the muzzle.

I tried performing an fft analysis and the attachment will show what I came up with.
This is the MATLAB code that I used:

figure
plot(fft(yvalues))

I don't think this is right though. I will look further into fft analysis.

Attachments

• fftattempt.pdf
    42.5 KB · Views: 197
No, most FFT plots I've seen/done are a simple line plot. On the x-axis you have frequency, and on the y-axis, you have magnitude. For example, if you're data plot was really y=sin(wt), on the FFT plot you would show a spike on the x-axis at w, and ideally zero everywhere else.

Unfortunately, you only have one "blast" from the cannon. You need at least a few pulses to get an accurate FFT.

What is the goal here? Are you simply trying to remove the noise?

1. What is pressure wave analysis?

Pressure wave analysis is a scientific method used to study the characteristics and behavior of waves in a medium, such as air or water. It involves measuring the changes in pressure caused by the wave as it travels through the medium.

2. Why is pressure wave analysis important?

Pressure wave analysis is important because it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of waves in different environments. This information can be used in a variety of fields, such as meteorology, oceanography, and engineering.

3. How is pressure wave analysis conducted?

Pressure wave analysis is typically conducted using specialized instruments, such as pressure transducers, that can measure changes in pressure over time. The data collected is then analyzed using mathematical models and computer software to determine the characteristics of the wave.

4. What are some applications of pressure wave analysis?

Pressure wave analysis has many applications, including weather forecasting, studying ocean currents, and designing efficient aerodynamic structures. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, to visualize internal structures of the body.

5. What are some challenges of pressure wave analysis?

One of the main challenges of pressure wave analysis is dealing with complex wave phenomena, such as reflections and interference, which can make it difficult to accurately interpret the data. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the instruments and the assumptions made in the mathematical models.