Importing part of a PDF document into latex

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter lavster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Pdf
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of including a figure from someone's thesis into a latex document. The speaker is unsure of how to do this as latex requires a specific format for figures. They mention using the snapshot feature in PowerPoint and ask for advice on how to do it in latex. The other person suggests lifting the desired part of the file and saving it as a pdf, and reminds the speaker to ask for permission from the copyright holder. The speaker asks for clarification on what "lifting" means and mentions trying to use various tools with no success. They also mention their familiarity with using Apple's Preview for this task and ask for suggestions for Windows. The final response suggests looking into the pdfpages package.
lavster
hi, there is a figure that i want to include in my latex document. The figure is in someones thesis and i want to have just that one figure in my latex document but I am not sure how to this. in power point i can just use the snap shop feature but how do i do it for latex where it requires a png, pdf etc format?
obv i will reference the fig accordingly

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you just lift that part of the file and save it as a pdf?

(Oh, and you should ask permission to reproduce any figure from the copyright holder)

i do :)

what you mean by "lift"? I've tried selecting it but that just saves the whole thing. I've also tried most things under tools - Select and Zoom but I am getting no where :(

thanks

lavster said:
what you mean by "lift"? I've tried selecting it but that just saves the whole thing. I've also tried most things under tools - Select and Zoom but I am getting no where :(

What operating system are you using? I'm only really used to apple nowadays, in which case you can use preview to copy into a new file and then save as pdf. On windows, I'm not sure how you can do this (though there must be a way).

look into pdfpages package

What is the best way to import a part of a PDF document into LaTeX?

The best way to import a part of a PDF document into LaTeX is by using the \includegraphics command from the graphicx package. This command allows you to insert a specific page or portion of a PDF file into your LaTeX document.

How do I specify which part of the PDF document I want to import?

You can specify the page or region of the PDF document to be imported by using the page and viewport options in the \includegraphics command. The page option allows you to specify the page number, while the viewport option allows you to specify the coordinates and dimensions of the region to be imported.

Can I import multiple pages or regions from a PDF document?

Yes, you can import multiple pages or regions from a PDF document by using the \includegraphics command multiple times and specifying different pages or regions in each command. Alternatively, you can use the pages option to import a range of pages, or the clip option to import a specific region from each page.

Can I import a PDF document with a different page size or orientation than my LaTeX document?

Yes, you can import a PDF document with a different page size or orientation by using the angle and scale options in the \includegraphics command. The angle option allows you to rotate the imported page, while the scale option allows you to resize it to fit your LaTeX document.

Are there any limitations to importing a PDF document into LaTeX?

Yes, there are a few limitations to importing a PDF document into LaTeX. The imported document must be a single page, and it cannot contain any interactive elements such as links or videos. Additionally, the imported document may not look exactly the same as the original PDF due to differences in font and formatting between LaTeX and PDF.