Physics Bungee Jump Question

In summary: This will also be the maximum distance the cord will stretch. Then, use this value of x to find the woman's position below her initial start point. This should get you started on the problem. Good luck!In summary, the conversation is about a difficult physics question regarding a 70.0kg woman doing a bungee jump with a 5.00m cord and a spring constant of 122.08 N/m. The question involves finding the maximum distance the cord will stretch, the woman's position below her initial start point, the total mechanical energy of the system, the distance the cord will be stretched when the woman is at maximum speed, and the maximum speed she will attain. The conversation includes some
coglon
I am stumped... very hard question:
"A 70.0kg woman does a bungee jump. The length of the bungee cord is 5.00m and it has a spring constant of 122.08 N/m. Assume the gravitational field strength is 9.81 N/kg.

a)What is the maximun distance the bungee cord will stretch and how far will the jumper be below her initial start point?

b)How much is the total mechanical energy of the system?

c)How far will the bungee cord be stretched when the jumper is moving at her maximun speed? What is this point called? <- I think its called the equilibrium point.

d)What is the maximun speed the jumper will atain."

So as you can see this is a very difficult question. I've taken some stabs at it with no luck. Heres what I've done so far.. but it might be wrong: I found that the initial speed will begin when cord starts to stretch so after 5m of free fall I found Velocity intial would be 9.9m/s then I started my equations:

Total Energy Mechnical (Emt) = Potential Energy Gravity (-ΔEpg) + Kinetic Energy (ΔEk)
Emt= -ΔEpg + ΔEk
Emt -ΔEpg = Eps (Potential spring Energy)
mgh= 1/2kx² height= x+5 where x is the stretch of the bungee cord
mg(x+5)=1/2kx²
√(2mg(x+5))/x= x
as you can see I am going nowhere... what i got lead to a quadratique equation... I don't know if I need to use one or not

Could some one help me solve this question or atleast get me started.

Thanks for help

Cogon,

Physics news on Phys.org
I think maybe you should find the speed at the point when the woman as covered 5 meters, using Free Fall, and the probably relate that to when it has covered x distance.

Yes there's Gravitational Potential Energy and Spring Energy, but also kinetic energy.

k, some hints:
- draw a scetch of the process and try to distinguish different phases (the phase before he jumps would be the 1st one, for example).
- try Emt = Epg(h) + Ek(h) + Eps(h). Beware of my different sign-convention but you should be able to translate to yours. Ask yourself why all of the three "contributing energies" are only dependant of the height!
- above energy Emt is conserved as it´s the total energy (not 100% sure what "total mechanical energy" is supposed to be but most probably that).

specific hints:
a) What makes that point special? It should be one of the phases I suggested above.
b) assuming it´s really the conserved total energy that´s meant the question is trivial and only depends on where you set x=0. Chose any phase that seems appropriate to you.
c) I really don´t know what your teacher wants to hear there but "maximum velocity" really doesn´t sound like "equilibrium" to me. Equilibrium between what, btw?
d) If you know the point where the maximum velocity is attained then calculating it out is easy.

coglon said:
mgh= 1/2kx² height= x+5 where x is the stretch of the bungee cord
mg(x+5)=1/2kx²
√(2mg(x+5))/x= x
as you can see I am going nowhere... what i got lead to a quadratique equation... I don't know if I need to use one or not
Don't give up so easily. You are on the right track. Now solve the quadratic equation to find the maximum extension (x) of the cord.

1. How does the length of the bungee cord affect the jump?

The length of the bungee cord affects the jump by determining the distance the person will fall before the cord starts to stretch. A longer cord means a longer free fall, resulting in a higher velocity and potentially a more intense jump experience.

2. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy during a bungee jump?

During a bungee jump, the potential energy of the person at the top of the jump is converted into kinetic energy as they fall. As the bungee cord stretches and recoils, this kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy until the person comes to a stop.

3. How does the weight of the person affect the bungee jump?

The weight of the person affects the bungee jump by determining the amount of force exerted on the bungee cord. Heavier individuals will experience a greater force and will therefore stretch the bungee cord more, resulting in a longer free fall and potentially a more intense jump experience.

4. What role does air resistance play in a bungee jump?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a significant role in a bungee jump. As the person falls, air resistance slows them down, reducing their velocity and the force exerted on the bungee cord. This can result in a less intense jump experience.

5. Is bungee jumping safe from a physics perspective?

Bungee jumping is generally considered safe from a physics perspective as long as all safety equipment is in good condition and properly used. The bungee cord and harness must be able to withstand the forces exerted during the jump, and the length of the cord must be carefully calculated to prevent the person from hitting the ground. However, there is always a risk of injury with any extreme sport.