What is the minimum stopping distance of a truck with locked brakes?

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum stopping distance of a truck with initial speed Vo on a level street with locked brakes, in terms of Vo, g, and the coefficient of kinetic friction μk. The solution involves using the equations W = K2-K1 and K = 1/2mv^2, and ultimately results in the equation d = (Vo^2)/(2μk g), where mass does not affect the final result.
DrummingAtom

Homework Statement

A truck is moving on a level street with speed Vo when the brakes lock (the tires don't roll and skid). Find the minimum stopping distance of the truck in terms of Vo, g, and the coefficient of kinetic friction μk.

Homework Equations

W = F*d
W = K2-K1
K = 1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I think I got this one because want to make sure because when I'm plugging in numbers at the end it seems a little strange.

I started with W = K2-K1 and K2 will be zero because it's stopped at that point.

W = -K1

I took that -g = n and applied it to the left side, was that step right?

-F*d = -K1

-F*d = -1/2mVo2

Solving for d gives:
[tex] d = \frac{-\frac{1}{2}mV_{o}^2}{-m\mu_{k}g}[/tex]

Then after rearranging:

[tex] d = \frac{V_{o}^2}{2\mu_kg}[/tex]

Now here's where I'm a little confused, if what I did was right. How can the final equation not have mass? A semi would certainly take a longer distance to stop than a Geo Metro. That's why this equation is so bizarre to me. I'm guessing this is why my Professor assigned this problem, haha. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DrummingAtom! :smile:
DrummingAtom said:
Now here's where I'm a little confused, if what I did was right. How can the final equation not have mass? A semi would certainly take a longer distance to stop than a Geo Metro. That's why this equation is so bizarre to me. I'm guessing this is why my Professor assigned this problem, haha. Thanks for any help.

No, your professor thinks this result is perfectly natural …

all the forces are proportional to m, so m doesn't matter. :wink:

(btw, air resistance is proportional to size, not mass, so if you include air resistance, the mass does matter)

I'm afraid you're the bizarre one! :biggrin:

Haha, thanks.

1. What is the work energy theorem?

The work energy theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the net work done on an object is equal to its change in velocity.

2. How is the work energy theorem applied to solve problems?

To apply the work energy theorem to solve problems, you need to determine the initial and final kinetic energies of the object in question. Then, calculate the work done on the object using the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the object moved. Finally, compare the initial and final kinetic energies to determine the change in energy.

3. Can the work energy theorem be used for all types of forces?

Yes, the work energy theorem can be used for all types of forces, including gravitational, frictional, and elastic forces. However, it is important to note that the work done by non-conservative forces, such as friction, may result in a change in the total mechanical energy of the system.

4. How does the work energy theorem relate to the conservation of energy?

The work energy theorem is closely related to the conservation of energy. According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The work done on an object is a form of energy transfer, and the work energy theorem shows that the change in kinetic energy of an object is equal to the work done on it.

5. What are some real-life applications of the work energy theorem?

The work energy theorem has many real-life applications, such as calculating the amount of work needed to lift an object to a certain height, determining the speed of a roller coaster at different points along the track, and understanding the mechanics of a swinging pendulum. It is also used in the design and analysis of machines and structures, such as bridges and buildings.