Is a Low GPA a Barrier to Pursuing a Master's Degree?

In summary: If you have low GPA, it will be more difficult to get into a graduate program. You will have to do well on the GREs and take subject GREs. You need to be realistic about your chances and have a back up plan in case you don't get into a top school.
boyu
Hi, this is a undergraduate student who is graduating in this Dec. Honestly, my GPA is quite low. Do u think that, does such a person like me still have the opportunity to pursue a master's degree in physics, or even a P.hD.?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how low is low. There is a big difference between low like 3.99 and low like 1.0.

Vanadium 50 said:
It depends on how low is low. There is a big difference between low like 3.99 and low like 1.0.

well it is this low like 2.5 out of 5.

I'm a similar position; I graduated in 2009 with a 2.26 overall GPA. There were many reasons, primarily health and personal issues; in retrospect, I wish one of those reasons was that I was actually partying every weekend instead of studying!

What you need to realize is that it's possible to get into a graduate program, but it will be a lot more difficult. You may have to employ some nefarious tactics and use back-door approaches, but if you're serious about it, you can do it.

First thing: do well on the GRE. Take subject GRE's as well, and do well on those. That way you can say that your undergraduate performance is not reflective of your true abilities. Also, think long and hard about why you want to get into a graduate program and what your goal with it is. That way, you will sound a lot more resolute when you write your applications.

Also, you can ask yourself what kind of coursework might help you with that end-goal: look into non-degree seeking programs, and do well in the courses you take! If you can show a trend of improvement, it might move your application from the "NO" pile to the "Maybe" pile.

Be patient though. It may be worthwhile to work in industry to gain some valuable experience. To quote a professor at my undergraduate institution that I e-mailed: " I think that the general impression on admissions committees is that applicants who have spent some time in industry have a better sense (on average) of why they are in graduate school, and tend to be more focused."

EDIT: Let me also add, don't put your GPA on your resume (you DO have a resume, right?). Learn how to nail interviews. If the question of your GPA comes up, don't try to blame anyone else for it because it will look like you aren't accepting responsibility or haven't thought about what you could have done better (and there's always something that could have been done better). Instead, say something along the lines of, "I'm not proud of my undergraduate record, but I don't think it accurately reflects my knowledge or abilities. Looking back, if I could change something I would...blah blah blah." Good luck! Be patient and good things will come your way.

Last edited:
At least in the US, if you want to study physics at the graduate level you're going to find a place that's willing to take you. Whether or not it's somewhere you want to go is a different story.

Its always a matter of where you want to go versus where you can actually go.

Personally, I started out horribly at my four year, getting two straight D's in Linear Algebra, and much like you had real serious (documented) health issues to go with that. My goal has always been to go to grad school and do Mathematical/Theoretical Physics, and naturally I have two top schools in mind. While I still have hopes of getting there and have been working very hard since my meltdown on those two classes, I also realize that I may not make it into one of those two top school.

So I have a back up plan. If I don't get into one of my top two schools, I have one other option for a PhD and if I don't get into that school then I have a few not so top tier schools in mind to do a Masters and then hopefully take another crack at the top schools after that.

You might have to nail the GREs. You might have to retake a few classes. You might just have to bite the bullet and go to a not so top tier school. You might have to, as others have suggested, work in industry for a bit and get some experience. Bottom line, if you want a Masters there's things you can do to get yourself there and there has to be SOME SCHOOL out there that will take you. So if you really want a Masters in Physics, you can get one

I think you need to be realistic about how low this really is.

In grad school, a C is considered failing. So I am afraid that you have demonstrated that you can't cope with even the easier undergraduate courses, at least not at the level graduate schools are expecting. Any graduate school will look at this in this light, not just "not top tier".

If your C's (and possibly lower) are in physics, I think you also need to face up to the fact that you are unprepared for graduate school.

Given that, I think you need to be thinking about retaking classes. I also think you need to be getting A's in those classes. Getting a B the second time around sends the wrong message.

My grad school is not rated in the top 100 for physics schools, and the average undergrad GPA of admitted students is still over 3.5. They will not consider students with less than a 3.0. Your GPA is equivalent to a 2.0 on the US system. That would almost get you kicked out of college, much less grad school, where you must maintain a 3.0 or higher.

I have seen a few people get into some grad schools (the lower ranked ones, like 100+) with GPAs under 3.0 - they convinced the program to let them take classes as a non-degree student for a year or more, got A's in the grad-level classes, and then were admitted. They managed this because they had a good research background to convince the schools they were worth the risk. But to be fair, none of them managed to pass the qualifying exams.

urs may be the longest reply that I've received.. thx, really, this is quite helpful, especially the interview part which has always troubled me a lot.

Btw, what r u doing now?

Actually the average grade for major modules (physics) is around B- or B. Part of the reasons for this low gpa is that I took too many irrelevant modules which I'm not good at but strongly interested in, like psychology, economics, foreign languages, etc... It is until the last yr when I realized that my favourite subjects are still physics and maths, but it's already too late to raise my gpa.

If I could start my undergraduate life all over again, I would focus on physics and things would be much different.

I wouldn't say getting accepted to a master's degree program is impossible for a person with a low GPA. It will be difficult though. Larger schools may not consider your application upon seeing a low GPA. Some smaller schools (which potentially have great programs) could accept you as a provisional student. You would not be a "graduate" standing student, but you will be able to take graduate courses that can transfer to a graduate degree. The provision for these programs is that you maintain a 3.0 GPA.

I would advise you to speak with an advisor at schools you are interested in attending.

1. What is considered a "low" GPA for an undergraduate?

A low GPA for an undergraduate is typically anything below a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. This can vary depending on the specific university or program, but generally a GPA below a 2.5 is considered low.

2. How will a low GPA affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

Having a low GPA can make it more challenging to get into graduate school, as many programs have a minimum GPA requirement. However, a low GPA does not necessarily mean you will not be accepted. Other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements can also play a role in the admissions decision.

3. Can a low GPA be improved in the later years of undergraduate study?

Yes, it is possible to improve a low GPA in later years of undergraduate study. This can be done by retaking courses to improve grades, taking on research or internship opportunities to demonstrate academic improvement, and seeking support from academic advisors or tutors. It is important to address the reasons for a low GPA and demonstrate a commitment to academic success.

4. Will a low GPA affect my job prospects after graduation?

A low GPA may affect job prospects after graduation, as some employers may use GPA as a factor in their hiring decisions. However, there are many other factors that employers consider such as relevant experience, skills, and personal qualities. It is important to highlight these strengths in your job application and interview to overcome a low GPA.

5. Is it possible to explain a low GPA in a graduate school application?

Yes, it is possible to explain a low GPA in a graduate school application. Many programs allow applicants to provide an explanation for any discrepancies in their academic record. It is important to be honest and provide a valid reason for the low GPA, such as personal challenges or extenuating circumstances. It is also important to demonstrate growth and improvement in your academic abilities since the low GPA.