Polarization and crystallography

In summary, the optic axis is the direction along which the refractive index differs the most for different polarizations.
rahulmotan
Can anyone explain what is principal section and optic axis of a crystal?
Any help wud be highly appreciated.
Thank You

Science news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head, the optic axis is the direction (for a biaxial crystal) along which n_e = n_o. I'd have to look up the other one.

You will have to do a little reading to fully understand it if you haven't yet seen the tensor representation of crystal properties and optical properties in particular. But the essential point is that refractive index can vary for different polarizations in a material. For a uniaxial crystal, which is the most typical case, it turns out that you can represent the refractive index by drawing an ellipsoid with a=b =/= c if a,b,c are the three semimajor axes. Then if you draw a vector from the center to any point on the surface, that length will be inversely related to the value of the refractive index felt for a wave with polarization pointing in that direction. So, the optic axis of the material is the long axis of this ellipse, and if the wave is propagating along the optic axis, it will feel the same refractive index regardless of polarization. Therefore there is no birefringence experienced by the wave.

For any other direction of propagation, the refractive index will depend on the polarization state (draw a vector in the direction of propagation, and draw the ellipse normal to it which intersects the ellipsoid). In this case, two orthogonal polarization components will experience two refractive indices - called the ordinary and extraordinary index. If the wave impinges on the crystal at an angle, the different refractive indices will cause the two polarization components to refract at different angles, leading to two spatially separated beams, the visible manifestation of birefringence.

Again, you'll have to read through the math to see why the refractive index can be represented by this ellipse. It's not difficult but you just have to go through it.

So if one central intersection of the ellipsoid is a circle, the section orthogonal to that is the principal section. That's just terminology, I had to look that up as well. But the principal section will tell you the wave vector which experiences the most pronounced birefringence.

thank you for replying but it wud be better if u wud make it more specific...because i cudnt get evrything of wat u wrote...i found it tough to understand!:confused:

I_Indicatrix_uniaxial.jpg

Look at the picture on the right. The three arrows coming out of the ellipsoid are the propogation directions of three different waves. Each has a plane normal to the direction which intersects the ellipsoid, forming an ellipse (or circle). The polarization can lie anywhere in the plane of that ellipse. It's length is related to the refractive index. So you can see that the wave traveling straight up (ie, along the optic axis) has the same refractive index for all polarizations, since the intersection with the ellipsoid is a circle. Any other direction, the two perpendicular polarization components will experience a different refractive index.

I can't be more specific. Maybe I shouldn't be trying to explain the optical indicatrix to you, but if you want to understand it on this level you will have to read about it. The simplest answer is just that, traveling along the optic axis, light will travel at one speed. Travelling in any other direction, light will split into two beams with slightly different speeds.

thank u vry much got it...:D

1. What is polarization in crystallography?

Polarization in crystallography refers to the alignment of electric dipoles within a crystal lattice structure. This polarization can occur naturally in certain crystals, or it can be induced through the application of an external electric field. It is an important concept in understanding the physical and optical properties of crystals.

2. How is polarization measured in crystallography?

Polarization can be measured in crystallography using a variety of techniques, such as polarized light microscopy, X-ray diffraction, and neutron scattering. These techniques involve analyzing the response of the crystal to different types of radiation or electric fields, and can provide information about the orientation and strength of the polarization within the crystal lattice.

3. What is the difference between linear and circular polarization?

Linear polarization refers to the alignment of electric dipoles in a crystal lattice along a single axis, resulting in a plane-polarized wave. Circular polarization, on the other hand, refers to the rotation of electric dipoles in a crystal lattice, resulting in a wave with both electric and magnetic components that are perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

4. How does polarization affect the properties of crystals?

Polarization has a significant impact on the physical, optical, and electronic properties of crystals. For example, it can affect the refractive index, birefringence, and optical activity of a crystal, as well as its electrical conductivity and piezoelectric response. Understanding polarization is crucial in many applications of crystals, such as in electronic devices and in the study of materials for advanced technologies.

5. What is the role of crystallography in studying polarization?

Crystallography provides a powerful tool for studying polarization in crystals. By analyzing the atomic structure and symmetry of a crystal, crystallographers can predict the presence and behavior of polarized states within the lattice. Additionally, crystallographic techniques can be used to visualize and measure the effects of polarization on crystal properties, providing valuable insights into the physical and chemical behavior of materials.