Measuring Contact Pressure Between Two Plates Using Pressure Sensitive Film

In summary, the person is working in a lab and needs a method to measure the pressure between two plates that are being compressed. They have tried using strain gauges but have not been successful. The suggested method is to use pressure sensitive film, which changes color based on contact stress. The film can then be analyzed for accuracy. Alternatively, an FEA analysis can also be performed.
Kvm90
Hey, I am working in a lab and I simply can't figure out a method to measure the pressure between two plates I'm compressing.

Here's my set up: I have a metal plate with perpendicular screws attached to another metal plate (I will be putting my sample between these plates). All I do is tighten the washers on the screws to bring the plates together. I want to know the pressure in between these plates as a result of the compression

Any suggestions on how I can do this? I have been trying to figure out a way using strain gauges (because we have them available in the lab) but to no avail so far. If you know of a measurement tool that needs to be purchased feel free to let me know, the lab is funded.

Physics news on Phys.org
The way this is typically done is to use http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=pressure+sensitive+film&aq=f&aqi=g1g-m2g-v7&aql=&oq=". The film is basically a paper thin sheet of material that changes color depending on the contact stress (contact pressure). The film is generally white and changes color as contact stress increases. The higher the contact stress, the brighter the color. The one I've used is a red/pink color like this:
http://www.pressuresensitivefilm.net/

The manufacturer will send a 'guage' of sorts (a piece of colored paper) to compare the colors to but they can also take your film and run it through a machine that can map the magnitude of the contact stress to a high degree of accuracy. I'd recommend you go this route if you want it done with any accuracy.

Note you can also perform an FEA analysis on your set up to get this contact stress.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is pressure measurement?

Pressure measurement is the process of determining the force per unit area exerted by a fluid or gas on a surface. It is an important parameter in various fields such as engineering, physics, and meteorology.

2. What units are used to measure pressure?

The most commonly used units for pressure measurement are pascals (Pa), pounds per square inch (psi), and atmospheres (atm). Other common units include bar, torr, and millimeters of mercury (mmHg).

3. How is pressure measured?

Pressure can be measured using various devices such as pressure gauges, manometers, and pressure transducers. These devices work by converting the force exerted by the fluid or gas into an electrical signal, which can then be displayed and recorded.

4. What are some applications of pressure measurement?

Pressure measurement has many practical applications, including monitoring and controlling industrial processes, measuring blood pressure in medical settings, and predicting weather patterns in meteorology. It is also used in research and development for testing and evaluating the performance of various materials and systems.

5. How accurate are pressure measurements?

The accuracy of pressure measurements depends on several factors, such as the type of device used, the calibration of the device, and the conditions in which the measurement is taken. Generally, pressure measurements can be accurate to within 1-2% of the actual value.