Use a vacuum to create energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using capillary action to power a generator, but it is determined that it would not work. The idea of using a vacuum to lift water through a tube and generate power is also discussed, but it is concluded that it would not work as well. It is pointed out that producing a vacuum would require more energy than what would be produced, and a control system would be needed for the water to flow in a loop. Additionally, the functioning of siphoning is explained and it is suggested to try out a simple experiment with a piece of tube.
CuriouslyDumb
I recently thought about using capillary action to power a generator (capillary action lifts water, right?) then researched it and learned that 1) I'm not the first one to think of it and 2) it wouldn't work anyways. Then I thought, why can't you use a vacuum to lift the water through a tube, like siphoning gas (though maybe I'm just missing something, and siphoning doesn't actually work or something). Any ideas? Could you use a vacuum to siphon water up a tube, let it fall and turn a generator?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) You need to produce a vacuum - that takes more energy than you'd get back.

2) You'd have to apply the vacuum in a on / off pattern (lift / drop) which would mean a control system = losses.

3) Siphoning works using gravity so the reservoir has to be lower than the source.

ok so I agree with #1, it would take a lot of energy to make a vacuum, and I know nothing about siphoning so I'll take your word for #3, but for #2 I was thinking that water is drawn up through the tube, the tube curves down at the top and deposits the water into a resevoir, and the water in the resevoir then falls to a source pool which feeds the tubes, like a loop. Giving up any ideas of power production, if you have a vacuum would it work? No control system is needed from what I can tell.

CuriouslyDumb said:
ok so I agree with #1, it would take a lot of energy to make a vacuum, and I know nothing about siphoning so I'll take your word for #3, but for #2 I was thinking that water is drawn up through the tube, the tube curves down at the top and deposits the water into a resevoir, and the water in the resevoir then falls to a source pool which feeds the tubes, like a loop. Giving up any ideas of power production, if you have a vacuum would it work? No control system is needed from what I can tell.

No, it wouldn't work.

The "tube curves down at the top"? So the whole reservoir is under vacuum? If that's the case, how would water flow out?

The water will be drawn into the vacuum and remain there, unless you 'release' the vacuum to allow it to drop. (Think about the vacuum system they use for internal mail in some companies).

For siphoning, take a piece of tube and try it out. Simple experiment. Once the output is higher than the input the flow will stop / reverse.

I would like to address the idea of using a vacuum to create energy. While it may seem like a creative and innovative idea, there are a few scientific principles that need to be considered.

Firstly, let's discuss the concept of using capillary action to power a generator. While it is true that capillary action can lift water, it is not a reliable source of energy. Capillary action is a passive process and does not generate enough force to power a generator. Additionally, the amount of energy required to create a vacuum in the first place would likely outweigh any potential energy generated by capillary action.

Next, let's consider the idea of using a vacuum to siphon water up a tube and then using the falling water to turn a generator. While siphoning does work, it requires a difference in atmospheric pressure to create the flow of liquid. In order to create a vacuum, we would need to remove all air molecules from the tube, which is not possible in a practical sense. Even if we could create a vacuum, it would be difficult to maintain and would require a constant energy input to sustain it.

In summary, while using a vacuum to create energy may seem like a viable option, it is not a practical or efficient solution. There are other more reliable and sustainable methods of generating energy that should be explored. I would encourage further research and experimentation in this area, but it is important to consider the scientific principles and limitations before pursuing such ideas.

1. How does using a vacuum create energy?

When a vacuum is created, it creates a pressure difference between the inside and outside of the vacuum. This pressure difference can be harnessed to create energy through various methods such as steam turbines or electromagnetic generators.

2. What types of energy can be created using a vacuum?

A vacuum can be used to create various types of energy such as mechanical energy through steam turbines, electrical energy through electromagnetic generators, or even thermal energy through heat pumps.

3. Is using a vacuum to create energy a sustainable method?

Yes, using a vacuum to create energy can be a sustainable method as it does not require the use of any fossil fuels and does not produce any harmful emissions. However, the sustainability of this method depends on the source of energy used to create the vacuum.

4. How efficient is using a vacuum to create energy?

The efficiency of using a vacuum to create energy depends on the specific method and equipment used. Generally, this method can be very efficient as it utilizes the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the vacuum, which can be significant.

5. How is a vacuum created to generate energy?

A vacuum can be created through various methods such as using a vacuum pump, condensing steam, or using a vacuum chamber. These methods remove air and other gases from a confined space, creating a low-pressure environment that can be used to generate energy.