Compute the limit (with variable in exponent)

In summary: So I get \frac{(-2)^{n}(1/3)^{n+1}+(1/3)}{(-2/3)^{n+1}+1}Since (-2)n → +∞; (1/3)n+1 → 0, then the product of the two will converge to 0 and the top will converge to \frac{1}{3}(-2/3)n+1 → 0 so the bottom will converge to 1Yes.
PirateFan308

Homework Statement

Compute the following sequence (show your work)

(-2)n+3n
÷ (-2)n+1+3n+1

The Attempt at a Solution

(-2)n+3n
÷ (-2)n(-2)+3n3n

After this I don't know what to do. I know that if I can prove that something smaller than this for all n's converges to +∞, this will converge to +∞. Also, if I can prove that something bigger that this for all n's converges to 0, this will converge to 0. I'm just not sure how to simplify this equation at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the problem:

[tex]lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{(-2)^{n}+3^{n}}{(-2)^{n+1}+3^{n+1}}[/tex]

?

PirateFan308 said:
(-2)n+3n
÷ (-2)n(-2)+3n3n

Look at this again.

PirateFan308 said:

Homework Statement

Compute the following sequence (show your work)

(-2)n+3n
÷ (-2)n+1+3n+1

The Attempt at a Solution

(-2)n+3n
÷ (-2)n(-2)+3n3n

After this I don't know what to do. I know that if I can prove that something smaller than this for all n's converges to +∞, this will converge to +∞. Also, if I can prove that something bigger that this for all n's converges to 0, this will converge to 0. I'm just not sure how to simplify this equation at all.

I'm guess that this is the expression (it's not an equation) whose limit you want to find:
[tex]\frac{(-2)^n + 3^n}{(-2)^{n+1} + 3^{n+1}}[/tex]

Multiply the numerator by 1/3n+1 and multiply the denominator by the same thing.

Mark44 said:
I'm guess that this is the expression (it's not an equation) whose limit you want to find:
[tex]\frac{(-2)^n + 3^n}{(-2)^{n+1} + 3^{n+1}}[/tex]

Multiply the numerator by 1/3n+1 and multiply the denominator by the same thing.

So I get [itex]\frac{(-2)^{n}(1/3)^{n+1}+(1/3)}{(-2/3)^{n+1}+1}[/itex]

Since (-2)n → +∞; (1/3)n+1 → 0, then the product of the two will converge to 0 and the top will converge to [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]

(-2/3)n+1 → 0 so the bottom will converge to 1

So the whole thing will converge to [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]

Is this correct?

PirateFan308 said:
So I get [itex]\frac{(-2)^{n}(1/3)^{n+1}+(1/3)}{(-2/3)^{n+1}+1}[/itex]

Since (-2)n → +∞; (1/3)n+1 → 0, then the product of the two will converge to 0 and the top will converge to [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]
Your reasoning is flawed here. If one factor in a product is growing large without bound (i.e., approaching ∞) and the other factor is approaching 0, there is nothing you can say about the product. The indeterminate form [0* ∞] is similar to other indeterminate forms such as [0/0] and [∞/∞].

For example, would you say that 4n * (1/3)n also has a limit of zero?

Instead of writing (-2)n * (1/3)n+1, write these together as a single fraction, and then you can take the limit.
PirateFan308 said:
(-2/3)n+1 → 0 so the bottom will converge to 1
Yes.
PirateFan308 said:
So the whole thing will converge to [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]

Is this correct?

What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value.

Why do we need to compute limits?

Computing limits allows us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values at certain points. It also helps us to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you compute a limit?

To compute a limit, we evaluate the function at values that are closer and closer to the given input value. If the values approach a certain number, that number is the limit. If the values do not approach a specific number, the limit does not exist.

What is a variable in exponent?

A variable in exponent is a variable that appears as the power of another variable or number in a mathematical expression. For example, in the expression x^2, x is the variable in exponent.

How does a variable in exponent affect the limit?

A variable in exponent can affect the limit by changing the behavior of the function as the input value approaches a certain number. Depending on the value of the exponent, the limit may exist or not exist, and it may approach a specific number or infinity.