Quick question about curvation of spacetime

• Thread starter joris_pixie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacetime
In summary, the curvature of space-time is caused by energy, mass, momentum, and pressure, and this includes photons.
joris_pixie
I have been studying up on special and general relativity lately :)
But still a few things aren't clear to me (obviously)

Is it energy and mass that curves it or only mass?
Or putted otherway does a photon curve spacetime ?Edit: I think I figured it out, it's indeed energy that curves space and time :)
So photons do curve it.

But an confirmation would be nice ! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
joris_pixie said:
I have been studying up on special and general relativity lately :)
But still a few things aren't clear to me (obviously)

Is it energy and mass that curves it or only mass?
Or putted otherway does a photon curve spacetime ?

Edit: I think I figured it out, it's indeed energy that curves space and time :)
So photons do curve it.

But an confirmation would be nice ! :)

Yes, energy (and momentum, and pressure) all curve space-time, so photons (or, because GR is a classical theory, it's better to say light) curves space-time.

1. What is the theory of general relativity and how does it explain the curvature of spacetime?

The theory of general relativity is a fundamental theory in physics that explains how gravity works. It states that massive objects, such as planets and stars, cause a curvature or bending of spacetime around them. This curvature is what we experience as the force of gravity.

2. How does the curvature of spacetime affect the motion of objects?

The curvature of spacetime affects the motion of objects by causing them to follow a curved path. This is because objects move along the shortest path in spacetime, which is determined by the curvature of spacetime created by massive objects.

3. Is the curvature of spacetime constant or does it change?

The curvature of spacetime is not constant and can change depending on the presence and distribution of massive objects. The more massive an object is, the greater the curvature it creates in spacetime.

4. How does the curvature of spacetime explain the phenomenon of time dilation?

The curvature of spacetime also affects the flow of time. This is known as time dilation. As an object moves through curved spacetime, its clock will appear to run slower to an observer outside of the curvature. This is due to the fact that the object is experiencing a slower passage of time in the curved spacetime.

5. Can the curvature of spacetime be observed or measured?

While we cannot directly observe or measure the curvature of spacetime, we can infer its presence and effects through various experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars, is evidence of the curvature of spacetime. Scientists also use mathematical models and equations to calculate and predict the curvature of spacetime in different scenarios.