Acceleration through PD, relativistic momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of momentum for an electron accelerated through a PD of 10^6 volts. The NR formula gives a result of p=1 MeV, but the relativistic result is 1.4 MeV. The speaker also mentions using K=Vq and K+m(c^2)=E to calculate energy, but notes that dividing by c to get momentum in MeV/c results in a different order of magnitude. However, they later realize that the correct answer was obtained.
Stickybees
When accelerating an electron through a PD of 10^3, that will give a momentum of 1 MeV/c right? Or is there something I'm not taking into account with relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably meant PD=10^6 volts. Then, the NR formula would give p-1 MeV.
But the relativistic result is 1.4 MeV.

Meir Achuz said:
You probably meant PD=10^6 volts. Then, the NR formula would give p-1 MeV.
But the relativistic result is 1.4 MeV.

Ah yes sorry I did, but how would I would out the relativistic result like you did?

So I've used K=Vq, then K+m(c^2)=E to get the energy and I've got approximately the right answer, but when I divide by c to get units from MeV to MeV/c for momentum I'm of course not even in the same order of magnitude.

Stickybees said:
So I've used K=Vq, then K+m(c^2)=E to get the energy and I've got approximately the right answer, but when I divide by c to get units from MeV to MeV/c for momentum I'm of course not even in the same order of magnitude.

Nevermind, I think I must have the right answer I was just thinking that /c had already happened.

What is acceleration through PD?

Acceleration through PD, also known as acceleration through parallel displacement, is a concept in physics that describes the change in velocity of an object as it moves along a curved path. It takes into account the change in direction of the object's velocity as it moves along the curved path and is an important concept in understanding the motion of objects in curved space.

What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that describes the momentum of an object moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on an object's momentum. It is calculated using the formula p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light.

How does acceleration through PD affect relativistic momentum?

Acceleration through PD can affect the relativistic momentum of an object by changing the direction of its velocity. This change in direction can result in a change in the object's momentum, as the magnitude of its momentum is dependent on its velocity and direction of motion.

What are some applications of acceleration through PD and relativistic momentum?

Acceleration through PD and relativistic momentum have many applications in modern physics, particularly in the study of particles and their interactions. They are important concepts in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. They are also used in the design and operation of high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider.

How can I visualize acceleration through PD and relativistic momentum?

One way to visualize acceleration through PD and relativistic momentum is by using diagrams and graphs. You can plot the velocity and momentum of an object as it moves along a curved path, and see how they change due to acceleration through PD. You can also use simulations or animations to better understand these concepts and their effects on the motion of objects in curved space.