Theoretical pH of manufactured product

In summary, Our company is facing a manufacturing problem with a product that is testing in spec for propionic acid and ammonia, but out of spec for pH. The total product build is 24166.246 KG with 66% propionic acid and 5.35% ammonia. Adding more propionic acid is not an option as it may kick it out of spec. The theoretical pH of the build with 66.4% propionic acid and 5.35% ammonia is estimated to be between 4 and 5. The high ionic strength of the mixture makes it difficult to calculate an accurate pH value. This issue is urgent as the plant is at risk of closing and employees may not receive their paychecks.
kp2171
Need urgent help with a manufacturing problem.

Our company built a product that is testing in spec for propionic acid and ammonia, but out of spec for pH. Desperate for this answer.

The total product build is 24166.246 KG.

The amount of propionic acid added is 15949.723 KG, which puts us at 66% prop by formulation. GC testing gave 66.4%

The ammonia source is anhydrous ammonia that is supposed to be delivered at 1329.144 KG for 5.5% in the build via kjeldahl distillation and titration. Testing gave us 5.35.

Prop is in spec but on the high end, ammonia is in spec on the low end, and pH is just out of spec high. I cannot add any prop acid in without risking kicking it out of spec.

I NEED to know... what is the theoretical pH of the above build... with 66.4% prop acid (assume 100% even though is 99.5%+) with 5.35% ammonia?

Thanks so much in advance.

This isn't about grades for me. I'm trying to help a plant that has had big problems keep open. That means paychecks.

If you can't help me, please kick me in the right direction?

I've got about 16 hours to figure this out before all heck breaks loose.

Feel free to call me Drama Queen.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If I understand what you wrote correctly, your mixture contains just about 40% of water? If so, what you have is a concentrated soup with a very high ionic strength, I doubt anyone would be able to calculate reliable value of pH. I would expect something between 4 and 5.

1. What is the theoretical pH of a manufactured product?

The theoretical pH of a manufactured product is the predicted pH value based on the chemical composition of the product. It is calculated using the concentration of acidic and basic components in the product, as well as their dissociation constants.

2. Why is the theoretical pH important for manufactured products?

The theoretical pH is important for manufactured products because it can affect the product's stability, efficacy, and safety. It also provides valuable information for quality control and regulatory purposes.

3. Can the theoretical pH be used to determine the actual pH of a product?

No, the theoretical pH is an estimate and may not accurately reflect the actual pH of a product. Factors such as impurities, interactions with packaging materials, and environmental conditions can affect the product's actual pH.

4. How is the theoretical pH calculated?

The theoretical pH is calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which takes into account the concentration of acidic and basic components as well as their dissociation constants. This equation is commonly used for weak acid and base solutions.

5. Can the theoretical pH change over time?

Yes, the theoretical pH can change over time due to factors such as chemical reactions, degradation of components, and environmental influences. It is important for manufacturers to regularly monitor and adjust the pH of their products to ensure consistency and stability.