How do you backup your ipod music?

• Thread starter jayceww
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, you can backup your iPod's music to your computer by transferring it using iTunes or iCloud.
jayceww
Hi guys, I’m new here! Just want to say hello and hope to gain some experience from you. I want to download some new music but my ipod is almost running out of space. I really don’t want to delete the old songs, so can I backup them to my computer? Do you have any experience?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi, I'm new also.

Your computer will probably read your iPod's hard-drive as just a regular hard-drive, however, I think Apple intentionally designs it so you can't easily transfer your files directly unless you use iTunes, so you may have to use third-party software which I assume may be what you are really asking. I would try accessing it as a hard-drive, this may mean you will have to first disable iTunes. Otherwise, it should be an option under the iTunes equivalent of "File", but I'm now simply conjecturing beyond my conjectures.

Sorry, I don't use Apple, so my incredibly vague suggestions may be of no use. I do think, though, that you should be able to access the iPod as a hard-drive, so long as it's not the iPod touch, to manually transfer your files.

Last edited:
Since this thread isn't a homework problem I am moving it to a more appropriate forum section.

Well if you bought those songs on iTunes I think it’s easy to get them back, because they should be linked to your account so you can download them for free again.
But if those music on your ipod are from other computers via itunes, you may not transfer them from ipod to pc because itunes can only transfer these fiels from itunes to your ipod touch. In that case you will need some other tools to do that. Google iPod Transfer and maybe you can find something useful.

look for Copypod and idump

Download iTunes from Apple's website. You can put all of your music in there. When you want to resync it, you should be able to selectively move the songs you want on your iPod so it does not go over its storage limit.

All you need is itunes on your laptop. Back up you music files on portable HD etc.

Now just plug in the ipod, select what you want on it, and the pc will switch your taste in music around!

1. Connect your iPod, without launching iTunes .
2. Open your iPod, right click and choose “Explore” then go to the control panel, Protable Media, and double-click your ipod .
3. Go to Options (in the Tools menu), and on the View tab, check “Show Hidden Files and Folders”.
4. Select songs and music and drop them to a folder on your hard drive.
5. Go into iTunes Preferences, and under the Advanced tab, check “Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized” and “Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to the library”
6.Add your files ,select file in iTunes and add folder to library and and select the folder where you copied the files from your iPod.
If above can’t help you ,search a page “how to backup iPod music on PC” or “how to backup iPod music on Mac” may give you guides .

Go to this following web-site.Look to the lower left.
http://www.copytrans.net/
You will find a solution for your problem.

I haven't bought one. I cannot figure out how to get the door open to insert my CDs.

gigiwill said:
2. Open your iPod, right click and choose “Explore” then go to the control panel, Protable Media, and double-click your ipod .
3. Go to Options (in the Tools menu), and on the View tab, check “Show Hidden Files and Folders”.
5. Go into iTunes Preferences, and under the Advanced tab, check “Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized” and “Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to the library”
6.Add your files ,select file in iTunes and add folder to library and and select the folder where you copied the files from your iPod.
If above can’t help you ,search a page “how to backup iPod music on PC” or “how to backup iPod music on Mac” may give you guides .
What kind of iPod do you have? If it's anything other than a Touch then how did you get the music on there is the first place? In any event, there are numerous software available that will allow you to copy over the music that's on your iPod on to you computer. DiskAid is one that comes to mind.

You may try to transfer them via iTunes or iCloud.

jayceww said:
Hi guys, I’m new here! Just want to say hello and hope to gain some experience from you. I want to download some new music but my ipod is almost running out of space. I really don’t want to delete the old songs, so can I backup ipod music to computer? Do you have any experience?

You can read the document from Apple here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3141
Or you can read the thread here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4930527
Hope the information can help you.

gigiwill said:
If above can’t help you ,search a page “how to transfer iPod music to PC” or “how to backup iPod music on Mac” may give you guides .
Thanks for your guide, it works perfectly.

Its better if you root it first with android root before you back up it. So it will backup fast.

lol --- root my ipod with Android Root. That's rich. Really getting some quality answers here.

You can find the directory where itunes stores your music and copy it anywhere you want.

For me, for example, my win7 machine has it at user/user/my music/itunes/itunes music

In itunes you can delete music from your ipod but not from your itunes library. So you can cycle through the library any way you want.

Coolmuster iPad iPhone iPod to PC Transfer is a good tool to transfer music from ipad to o computer directly.You can also use it transfer ios data to iTunes library easily and fast.

warunasanja77 said:
Go to this following web-site.Look to the lower left.
http://www.copytrans.net/
You will find a solution for your problem.

I would strongly second that. Many many many (need I go on...) hours of frustration with iTunes led me to ditch it and use CopyTrans. Never looked back!

DaveC426913 said:
I haven't bought one. I cannot figure out how to get the door open to insert my CDs.

You have to fold them just so. Those iDoohickeys are tiny.

BoB

1. How do I backup my iPod music?

To backup your iPod music, you can use iTunes or iCloud. In iTunes, connect your iPod to your computer and click on the device icon. Then, click on "Back Up Now" under the "Manually Back Up and Restore" section. If you use iCloud, make sure your iPod is connected to Wi-Fi and go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. Turn on the "iCloud Backup" option and click on "Back Up Now".

2. Can I backup my iPod music without using iTunes or iCloud?

Yes, you can use third-party software such as iMazing or AnyTrans to backup your iPod music. These programs offer more flexibility and features compared to iTunes or iCloud backups.

3. Does backing up my iPod music also save my playlists and ratings?

Yes, backing up your iPod music will also save your playlists and ratings. This is true for both iTunes and third-party software backups.

4. How often should I backup my iPod music?

It is recommended to backup your iPod music regularly, especially before making any major changes to your music library. This can be done once a week or even once a month, depending on how frequently you add new music to your iPod.

5. Can I access my backed up music on a different device?

If you use iTunes or iCloud to backup your iPod music, you can access your backed up music on any device that is signed in with the same Apple ID. However, if you use third-party software, you may need to transfer the backup file to the other device in order to access your music.