(Reverse) Schottky Diode Question

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of a reverse Schottky diode, which involves a metal being placed against a fully depleted, high carrier concentration semiconductor. The idea is that this would result in the metal accelerating and reducing recombination of holes in a p-type semiconductor. However, the speaker is skeptical and looking for further explanation. The concept of equilibrium and potential differences is also discussed, with the conclusion that there would be no net effect in this scenario.
band_gapped
Is a reverse Schottky diode possible?

I understand the basics of the Schotkky barrier/rectifier commonly achieved by a metal/semiconductor interface.

Recently, it was suggested to me that a "reverse" Schottky junction is possible if the metal is placed against a fully depleted, high carrier concentration semiconductor. Further, this would result in a metal accelerating and reducing recombination of holes for instance in a p-type semiconductor.

I'm skeptical but lack the physics skills for rebuttal.

Any help?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
400 views but no replies?

Can I explain something better?

I don't understand the question. Yes, research Ohmic.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're suggestion that equilibrium isn't achieved?

in general; when ever two potential differences exist, then a field results. When the material with their respective valence bands and Fermi energy levels are joined, where a depletion region exists, then the net current due to recombination and even thermal electron flows, is ALWAYS 0,for both p or n type contacts. so holes would accelerate across a depleted region. but there will be not net effect.

1. What is a (Reverse) Schottky Diode?

A (Reverse) Schottky Diode is a type of diode that is commonly used in electronics. It is made of a metal-semiconductor junction and has a lower forward voltage drop compared to other types of diodes.

2. How does a (Reverse) Schottky Diode work?

A (Reverse) Schottky Diode works by allowing current to flow in only one direction. When a positive voltage is applied to the metal contact, it creates a thin layer of positively charged holes at the metal-semiconductor junction. This allows electrons to easily flow from the semiconductor to the metal, creating a low resistance path. However, when a negative voltage is applied, the holes are unable to form and the diode acts as an insulator, preventing current flow.

3. What are the applications of (Reverse) Schottky Diodes?

(Reverse) Schottky Diodes are commonly used in high-frequency applications, such as in radio frequency amplifiers and mixers. They are also used in power supplies to reduce energy loss and in solar cells to increase efficiency.

4. What is the difference between a Schottky Diode and a Reverse Schottky Diode?

The main difference between a Schottky Diode and a Reverse Schottky Diode is their polarity. A Schottky Diode is designed to allow current to flow from the anode to the cathode, while a Reverse Schottky Diode allows current to flow in the opposite direction, from the cathode to the anode.

5. How do I choose the right (Reverse) Schottky Diode for my project?

When choosing a (Reverse) Schottky Diode, you should consider factors such as maximum current and voltage ratings, forward voltage drop, switching speed, and package type. It is also important to ensure that the diode is compatible with the other components in your circuit. Consult the diode's datasheet for more detailed information and choose a diode that meets your project's requirements.