I want things and ways to learn

• Thread starter Mebzy
  • Start date
In summary, this 13-year old has a good knowledge of physics, but would like to learn more. She recommends watching YouTube channels, reading books, and talking to teachers for more ideas.
Mebzy
Hello everybody, this is my first time in this forums and you could probably guess I love physics (the reason people are here). I'm 13 years old and for my age I have have a good knowledge of physics. The problem is, is that my school haven't taught us most things about it yet, I have looked up things on YouTube and on Google but I'm running our of new things to explore (even though I know that there's lots more). So if you have any suggestions on ways to learn or good YouTube channels that aren't listed below then please give me some response!

YouTube channels that I already know:
  • MinutePhysics
  • Vsauce + Vsauce 2,3
  • ViHart
  • SciShow
  • NumberFile
  • PsyFile

EXTRA:
I'm into learning formulas E.G. T=2∏(√L/g) or rather than 2∏ I could use τ

Physics news on Phys.org
learning the concepts is great, especially at your age.

maybe give high-school level math a shot. most physics concepts will require math abilities of that level for calculations (at a minimum... but if you can teach yourself calculus, more power to you!)

As quicksilver1223 said, I would encourage you to watch:

MIT's Linear Algebra 18.06SC
MIT's Single Variable Calculus 18.01SC
MIT's Multivariable Calculus 18.02SC
MIT's Differential Equations 18.03SC

This will give you some of the tools needed. After that, you may start looking at the MIT's Physics courses such as http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01sc-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-2010/. The MIT's OpenCourseWare and a few other sites - there will be a list on my blog shortly.

There's the KhanAcademy which I like for learning math 'intuitively' and Yale's 'Fundamental of Physics', available on YouTube. You'll need some calculus for that but it probably won't to just watch it and become familiar with the concepts. In fact, I think Prof. Shankar actually gives a crash course in 3 minutes crash course in the calculus that you need for the course in one of the lectures :p

jfgobin said:
As quicksilver1223 said, I would encourage you to watch:

MIT's Linear Algebra 18.06SC
MIT's Single Variable Calculus 18.01SC
MIT's Multivariable Calculus 18.02SC
MIT's Differential Equations 18.03SC

This will give you some of the tools needed. After that, you may start looking at the MIT's Physics courses such as http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01sc-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-2010/. The MIT's OpenCourseWare and a few other sites - there will be a list on my blog shortly.

Whoa! You would recommend these to a 13-year old??!

Zz.

Read the following books:
Mad About Physics
Mad About Modern Physics
The Flying Circus of Physics
Thinking Physics

And stay ahead on all your math. The more math you do in hs, the better. Look into taking math classes at a nearby community college.

Get down to your local public library, find the physics shelves, and start reading whatever looks interesting. Also, talk to a librarian, and ask for recommendations. They might point you to resources you didn't think about, like "the reference section" or "free online resources". Also discuss "inter-library loan", which is a way to get books that people recommend, that aren't in the library, without blowing all your pocket money. Also, talk to your physics teachers, they might have ideas - like lending you books, pointing you to other libraries, physics clubs, whatever...

What are some ways to learn new things?

There are many ways to learn new things, such as reading books, attending classes or workshops, watching educational videos, participating in hands-on activities, and seeking guidance from mentors or experts in the field.

How can I improve my learning skills?

To improve your learning skills, you can try techniques such as active listening, note-taking, summarizing information, and practicing self-reflection. You can also explore different learning styles and find the one that works best for you.

What are some effective study habits?

Effective study habits include setting goals, creating a study schedule, finding a quiet and comfortable study space, staying organized, and taking breaks to avoid burnout. It's also important to eliminate distractions and stay motivated.

How can I stay motivated to learn?

To stay motivated to learn, it's important to find something that interests and inspires you. Set achievable goals and celebrate your progress. Surround yourself with supportive and like-minded individuals, and take breaks when you need them.

What should I do if I'm struggling to understand a topic?

If you're struggling to understand a topic, don't be afraid to ask for help. Reach out to your teacher, professor, or a peer who has a strong understanding of the subject. You can also try approaching the topic from a different angle or breaking it down into smaller, more manageable chunks.