Orbital Overlap in HCl: Explained!

In summary, the orbital overlap in HCl is due to hybridization between one sp³ orbital from Cl and one s orbital from H. However, there may be confusion as to whether the overlap is between one p orbital from Cl and one s orbital from H. It is important to note that there is no hybridization in this case. To determine if hybridization occurs, it is necessary to look at the atomic orbitals involved. In water, hybridization does occur, but not in HCl.
mcfaker
Help I am really confused! Orbital overlap in Hcl.

Hi,

The orbital overlap in HCl is due to hybridization between one sp³ oribital from Cl and one s orbital from H.

So why does the following picture say that the orbital overlap is between one p orbital from Cl and one s orbital from H??

56f4cd54d1e00349a944b35e43e2e354.png

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mcfaker said:
Hi,

The orbital overlap in HCl is due to hybridization between one sp³ oribital from Cl and one s orbital from H.

No. Forget you ever heard this.

why is there no hybridization there? if there isnt, how do I determine if hybridization occurs?

In water hybridization occurs, why not here? how do I determine if hybridization occurs?
please help me I am confused!

Last edited:

1. What is orbital overlap in HCl?

Orbital overlap in HCl refers to the interaction between the orbitals of hydrogen (H) and chlorine (Cl) atoms in the molecule. This interaction is crucial for the formation of covalent bonds between the two atoms.

2. How does orbital overlap occur in HCl?

In HCl, the 1s orbital of hydrogen overlaps with the 3p orbital of chlorine, creating a bond between the two atoms. This overlap occurs when the two orbitals have similar energy levels and are in close proximity to each other.

3. What is the significance of orbital overlap in HCl?

Orbital overlap is essential for the stability and chemical properties of HCl. It allows for the sharing of electrons between the two atoms, creating a strong covalent bond that holds the molecule together.

4. How does orbital overlap affect the shape of HCl?

The overlap between the 1s and 3p orbitals in HCl creates a linear molecular geometry, with the two atoms bonded in a straight line. This shape is a result of the strong overlap between the orbitals, which minimizes electron repulsion and maximizes stability.

5. Can you explain the concept of hybridization in relation to orbital overlap in HCl?

In HCl, the orbitals of hydrogen and chlorine undergo hybridization, where the 1s orbital of hydrogen and the 3p orbital of chlorine combine to form new hybrid orbitals. These hybrid orbitals have different shapes and energies than their parent orbitals, allowing for optimal overlap and bond formation between the two atoms.