What are the accepted theories for the source of gravity?

In summary, both Newton's and Einstein's theories of gravity are still in use, though Einstein's equations are more commonly used. There is a difference in how gravity behaves when compared to the surface vs. inside of a body, and the GPS system takes into account gravitational time dilation.
We can use Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation to calculate how strong the gravitational pull is between the Earth and the object you dropped, which would let us calculate its acceleration as it falls, how long it will take to hit the ground, how fast it would be going at impact, how much energy it will take to pick it up again, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
A theory starts as one or more hypotheses, untested ideas about why something happens. For example, I might propose a hypothesis that the object that you released fell because it was pulled by the Earth's magnetic field. Once we started testing, it would not take long to find out that my hypothesis was not supported by the evidence. Non-magnetic objects fall at the same rate as magnetic objects. Because it was not supported by the evidence, my hypothesis does not gain the status of being a theory. To become a scientific theory, an idea must be thoroughly tested, and must be an accurate and predictive description of the natural world.

Drakkith said:
Wait... my post says greatest at the surface. I think I meant at the core.
Which one did you mean?

Also, we might want to avoid talking GR in this thread, it's getting really messy.

Haha. I assumed you meant Centre. But mine was an actual question. I am not sure about any of this except to say "expect to be confused and misled". It will not be intuitive.
Any ideas we offer must be consistant with classical experience.

All the information is very useful too me as I want to understand all the theories related to gravity and how those theories relate to one another.

If I have understood correctly string theory is the theory that has a graviton in it and thus far there is little or no evidence to support string theory. Does that mean that even though it is called string theory it is really only a hypothesis at this point?

If graviton's were found would that change people's understanding of general relativity and/or Newton's theory of gravity?

ZionsRodeVos said:
If I have understood correctly string theory is the theory that has a graviton in it and thus far there is little or no evidence to support string theory. Does that mean that even though it is called string theory it is really only a hypothesis at this point?

I'm pretty sure that Feynman and others worked out a gravitational field theory in the 60's that predicted a graviton. The theory did not work under certain circumstances (maybe all?) when combined with GR and was scrapped. I think gravitons show up in a number of theories, but none that are fully consistent with GR or that have been experimentally confirmed.

If graviton's were found would that change people's understanding of general relativity and/or Newton's theory of gravity?

I don't think that confirmation of a graviton alone would change theories much, but there might be certain values related to it that could rule out certain theories. For example, a graviton with mass would cause trouble in a number of theories. I don't think anyone is seriously looking for them though. They are (would be) very difficult to observe.

mijalasthapit, it would be better if you posted everything in one post.

Drakkith said:
I'll tell you why things have mass.
They just do.

Awesome lines!

<h2>1. What is the accepted theory for the source of gravity?</h2><p>The accepted theory for the source of gravity is the General Theory of Relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It states that gravity is the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.</p><h2>2. How does the General Theory of Relativity explain gravity?</h2><p>The General Theory of Relativity explains gravity as the result of the warping of spacetime by massive objects. This warping causes objects to follow curved paths, giving the appearance of gravitational attraction.</p><h2>3. Are there any alternative theories for the source of gravity?</h2><p>Yes, there are alternative theories such as the Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) and the Quantum Gravity Theory. However, the General Theory of Relativity has been extensively tested and remains the most widely accepted explanation for gravity.</p><h2>4. Can gravity be explained by a particle or force?</h2><p>No, the General Theory of Relativity does not describe gravity as a particle or force. Instead, it is described as the curvature of spacetime caused by mass and energy.</p><h2>5. Is there a single accepted theory for gravity?</h2><p>No, there is currently no single theory that fully explains gravity. The General Theory of Relativity is the most widely accepted and successful theory, but it does not yet fully account for the behavior of gravity at the quantum level. Scientists are still working on developing a unified theory that can explain both gravity and quantum mechanics.</p>

1. What is the accepted theory for the source of gravity?

The accepted theory for the source of gravity is the General Theory of Relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It states that gravity is the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. How does the General Theory of Relativity explain gravity?

The General Theory of Relativity explains gravity as the result of the warping of spacetime by massive objects. This warping causes objects to follow curved paths, giving the appearance of gravitational attraction.

3. Are there any alternative theories for the source of gravity?

Yes, there are alternative theories such as the Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) and the Quantum Gravity Theory. However, the General Theory of Relativity has been extensively tested and remains the most widely accepted explanation for gravity.

4. Can gravity be explained by a particle or force?

No, the General Theory of Relativity does not describe gravity as a particle or force. Instead, it is described as the curvature of spacetime caused by mass and energy.

5. Is there a single accepted theory for gravity?

No, there is currently no single theory that fully explains gravity. The General Theory of Relativity is the most widely accepted and successful theory, but it does not yet fully account for the behavior of gravity at the quantum level. Scientists are still working on developing a unified theory that can explain both gravity and quantum mechanics.