Exploring the Mystery of Expanding Galaxy Rates

In summary, some believe that distant galaxies are expanding at a different rate than what is predicted by known formulas, and this discrepancy may be explained by the existence of a "multiverse" with different gravitational forces. Others believe that neutrinos are responsible for the discrepancy.
mugginsjr
Gold Member
We know that distant galaxies (which are expanding) are sometimes expanding at rates that do not conform with our known theories and formulas developed by our own observations of gravity. Einstein's theory is of course at the forefront of this conundrum.

To explain it some believe that we are living in a universe inside a "multiverse" - which has a multitude of different strengths of gravitational forces and we have thus far only categorized our own.

Others believe that neutrinos may play a part in the difference, while others play with invented theories like magnetrons to put the puzzle together. And still others are trying to get the picture by smashing protons together to learn about the basic building blocks of life to figure out the differences. In that quantum world some believe the expansion rates are due to the uneven dispersal of antimatter from the big bang on.

I tend to favor the magnetron theory, which is to say that magnetism is not some magical attraction/repulsion property that is somehow void of physical properties that every other known thing in the universe is tied to. Actual "magnetrons" (though I would not call them that) are neutrino or quark like bodies that pass through magnetic material, like the earth, circulating in, out, and around at near speeds of light. Like neutrinos there is no known insulator for them. They can pass through anything, like us and miles of the Earth's crust. And they return to their source through attraction. That's where my own theory parts. I think it is very possible that these tiny physical bodies are photons or very closely related. I think as they pass through every atom they interact with the shells of those atoms as they are drawn toward the earth. As those interactions take place at billions of times in just nanoseconds, like the atoms in our bodies, or in helium, ozone, water, or any element, those instantaneous atomic attractions are pulling us with them toward the earth. And it pulls each atom and molecule to its specific level. Ergo, gravity. I don't believe Einsteins calculations were wrong. I think they are being calculated incorrectly due to bad gravity data flowing in.

As the calculable differences of some of these distant expanding galaxies are off by as much as a million billion billion billion times, there's no doubt something is amiss. I'm interested in hearing which theories others tend to side with. Do you favor one?

Physics news on Phys.org
mugginsjr said:
We know that distant galaxies (which are expanding) are sometimes expanding at rates that do not conform with our known theories and formulas developed by our own observations of gravity.

Reference please? What exactly are you referring to here?

mugginsjr said:
the magnetron theory

I've never heard of this theory. Can you give a reference?

Superluminal recession velocities fit perfectly fine within General Relativity. Also, since personal theories are not allowed, thread locked.

Last edited:

1. What is the mystery behind expanding galaxy rates?

The mystery of expanding galaxy rates refers to the observed phenomenon that galaxies seem to be moving away from each other at an increasing rate. This goes against the expected behavior of gravity, which would cause galaxies to eventually slow down and collapse towards each other.

2. How do scientists study expanding galaxy rates?

Scientists study expanding galaxy rates by using telescopes to observe the light emitted from distant galaxies. By analyzing the redshift of this light, they can determine the speed at which the galaxies are moving away from us and each other. This information is then used to calculate the expansion rate of the universe.

3. What is dark energy and how does it relate to expanding galaxy rates?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. It is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. Scientists theorize that dark energy is pushing galaxies apart, leading to the observed increasing rate of expansion.

4. How does the study of expanding galaxy rates contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying expanding galaxy rates is crucial in helping us understand the history and fate of the universe. By measuring the expansion rate, scientists can determine the age of the universe and make predictions about its future. It also provides insight into the nature of dark energy and its role in shaping the universe.

5. What are some potential implications of the mystery of expanding galaxy rates?

The mystery of expanding galaxy rates has several potential implications for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It could lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and how they govern the behavior of the universe. It could also have implications for the fate of the universe and the possibility of other universes beyond our own.