Understanding Einstein's field equations

In summary, for those looking to understand Einstein's field equations, there are several resources available. The best introductory books include M. Berry's "Principles of Cosmology and Gravitation" and P.A.M. Dirac's "General Theory of Relativity." For a more advanced approach, S. Weinberg's "Gravitation and Cosmology" and B. Schutz's "General Relativity" are recommended. However, for a comprehensive and modern understanding of the subject, S. Carroll's "Spacetime and Geometry" and B. Schutz's "General Relativity" are highly recommended.
ChromeBit
Hi,

I'm interested in trying to understand Einstein's field equations, I'm a physics student due to start an astrophysics course next year. I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice where to start?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
atyy said:
It's definitely nice, but I wouldn't call it introduction.

A really introductory book, for people more interested in astrophysics than in mathematical formalism, is
M. Berry, Principles of Cosmology and Gravitation
That book is definitely a good start, but certainly not a good end.

For those (future astrophysicists) who do not want to waste time with easy introductions and want to jump immediately to serious stuff, I would recommend
S. Weinberg, Gravitation and Cosmology

The problem with Weinberg's book is that it is quite long, so it is not an introduction either. For those who want a SHORT (but still serious) introduction to general relativity I recommend
P.A.M. Dirac, General Theory of Relativity (77 pages long !)

But neither of those is my favored book on general relativity. In my opinion, the best lectures/book is the one by Carroll, either the free shorter version:
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019
or the longer one:
S. Caroll, Spacetime and Geometry

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
I agree with the particulars supplied to students of general relativity.
But in my opinion, the most recommended is the excellent General Relativity, B.Schutz. The reason is the following: exposes all the RG using a modern mathematical approach, which makes everything simpler. Many authors follow Schutz.

victorneto said:
I agree with the particulars supplied to students of general relativity.
But in my opinion, the most recommended is the excellent General Relativity, B.Schutz. The reason is the following: exposes all the RG using a modern mathematical approach, which makes everything simpler. Many authors follow Schutz.

Indeed, not only by modern mathematical approach, simple and intuitive, but also by good teaching used, the work of B.Schutz is suitable not only for beginners but for veterans in general relativity as well as teachers of matter. It is a work, in my opinion, simply wonderful.

1. What are Einstein's field equations?

Einstein's field equations are a set of 10 partial differential equations that describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. They are a cornerstone of Einstein's theory of general relativity and are used to explain the behavior of gravity on a large scale.

2. Why are Einstein's field equations important?

Einstein's field equations revolutionized our understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe. They have been proven to accurately describe the behavior of gravity in a wide range of scenarios, from the motion of planets to the bending of light by massive objects. They also provide a deeper understanding of the concept of spacetime and how it is affected by matter and energy.

3. What is the significance of the constant, G, in Einstein's field equations?

The constant, G, in Einstein's field equations represents the strength of the gravitational force. It is a fundamental constant in physics and is used to calculate the amount of curvature in spacetime caused by a given amount of mass or energy. Its value is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

4. How do Einstein's field equations relate to the concept of spacetime?

Einstein's field equations describe the relationship between matter and energy and the curvature of spacetime. They show that matter and energy can cause spacetime to bend and warp, which in turn affects the motion of other objects in the universe. This concept is at the heart of Einstein's theory of general relativity and has been confirmed through various experiments and observations.

5. Can Einstein's field equations be solved exactly?

No, Einstein's field equations cannot be solved exactly for most realistic scenarios. They are highly complex and nonlinear equations that require advanced mathematical techniques to solve. However, simplified versions of the equations can be solved to provide approximate solutions, which have been confirmed to accurately describe the behavior of gravity in our universe.