Physics/math dual major with chem minor or physics major with chem/math dual minor

In summary: I am the required math classess to take a physics major meet the math minor, but I don't think they would give it to you. I am going for a religion minor anyways, fun talking the physics department into that one.In summary, due to offering limitations, it will take the author 3 more years to complete the former, and 2 more years to complete the latter. The former option is a total of 84 credits distributed over 3 years, while the latter option is 65 credits distributed over 2 years. The author has completed uchem 1 and 2 and the labs, some other ochem classes (wish they weren't ochem, but he was originally a chem major), and they have completed university physics 1 and 2
leright
I've worked it out and due to offering limitations it will take me 3 more years to do the former, and 2 more years to do the latter. I've already been in university for 2 years.

The courses I'd need in order to accomplish both are listed below:

For the dual major in physics/math with chem minor:

Fall 2005:
advanced eng. math
prob/stats
contemporary physics
contemporary lab
analytical mechanics
physics chemistry 2

spring 2006:
quantum mechanics
nuclear physics
Elec. and Mag.
Circuits and electronics
comp sci 1

fall 2006:
adv. calc.
linear alg.
thermal physics
world masterpieces 2
circuits lab

spring 2007:
modern algebra
Jr.Sr social science elective
math modeling
condensed matter physics
optics lasers and microscopy
optics/lasers/mico lab

fall 2007:
PDE
numerical analysis
physics proj.

spring 2008:
discrete math
physics proj.
advanced lit.
data structures or database systems

For the single major in physics with dual minors in chem and math:

fall 2005:
adv. eng. math
prob/stats
contemp physics
contemp lab
anal. mech.
physical chem 2

spring 2006:
quantum
nuclear physics
elec and mag
circ and electronics
world masterpieces 2

fall 2006:
adv. calc.
linear alg.
thermal physics
circuits lab
adv. lit
physics proj.

spring 2007:
Jr/Sr SSC elective
physics proj.
modern alg
condensed matter phys.
optics/lasers/microscopy
optics/lasers/micro lab

the former option is a total of 84 credits distributed over 3 years. this has to be done in 3 years because of scheduling issues. The latter option is 65 credits distributed over 2 years. These credits are in addition to the 68 credits I currently have (been in school for 2 years). I have completed uchem 1 and 2 and the labs, some other ochem classes (wish they weren't ochem, but I was originally a chem major), and I've completed university physics 1 and 2 and the labs. I have calculus 1-3 and diffEQ completed.

So, what do you think? Are the extra math classes worth the extra time and money? For the math major, I'd need to take an extra 19 credits and I would have to stay in school for an extra year...but this will give me one more summer to do an REU as well.

The configuration listed above is the setup where there is the most overlap between the two majors. for example, I was able to convince the MCS chair to allow the Jr/Sr math elective to be covered by a physics course and he MIGHT allow advanced eng. math to substitute for complex analysis.

I always worry that there will be scheduling issues between a physics course and a math course that are both only offered once every two years, which would possibly mess up my scheduled graduation date. These are the downsides of being at a smaller university...

*sigh*

I suppose I could do the single major in physics with a minor in chem and math, and I could take some additional math classes, like numerical analysis and PDE...I dunno...I just don't like not having anything to show for it, other than an extra course on the transcipt.

BTW, I plan on attending graduate school in physics, so I guess they would look at the transcript, whereas an employer in industry will not...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
depends...i'm sure you can learn the math during your break between graduation and grad school. Are you sure you can have a dual minor? I wasn't able to stupid #@! school. I could have had major in Neural Computation and minors in astrophysics/math but the school wouldn't let me have dual. Even thogh I took the # required math courses away that were excluded from my majors math courses.

neurocomp2003 said:
depends...i'm sure you can learn the math during your break between graduation and grad school. Are you sure you can have a dual minor? I wasn't able to stupid #@! school. I could have had major in Neural Computation and minors in astrophysics/math but the school wouldn't let me have dual. Even thogh I took the # required math courses away that were excluded from my majors math courses.

oh man, that sucks. I better check on that.

Anyone else?

Where I am the required math classess to take a physics major meet the math minor, but I don't think they would give it to you. I am going for a religion minor anyways, fun talking the physics department into that one.

CaptainQuaser said:
Where I am the required math classess to take a physics major meet the math minor, but I don't think they would give it to you. I am going for a religion minor anyways, fun talking the physics department into that one.

there are 24 math credits required for the physics degree (calc 1-3, DE, linea alg. probs/stats, adv. eng. math) and you need 29 credits for a math minor, so I'd need 2 more 3 credit hour classes. I've already talked to the math chairperson about it...

I'll have to check to see if I can even get 2 minors though...I can't see why they wouldn't allow it...I guess they can't fit all of that on the degree? :tongue2: or do they even put the minors on the degree?

I am having trouble deciding if I want to go through with the double major though...I could PROBABLY do it in 4 and a half years total instead of the planned 5, but it is still 19 more credits than the double minor... I guess I still have a semester before I NEED to decide...

I don't even know for sure if the certain substitutions to produce overlap between physics and math will go through or not. the chairman said it could POSSIBLY be done, but he never gave me a definite answer. He doesn't seem too ambitious in helping me out, to be quite honest...

I am also considering taking all of my humanities requirements over a summer...I need 9 humanities credits. However, if I did this I would only have 2 free summers to do REU work instead of 3...

leright said:
So, what do you think? Are the extra math classes worth the extra time and money?

they're worth it if you want to take them. ultimately, that will be the deciding factor.

Brad Barker said:
they're worth it if you want to take them. ultimately, that will be the deciding factor.

well, I have another year to decide. Fall of 2006 is when certain math classes that are very important to the math major are being offered.

also, why can't you get a dual minor??

1. What is the difference between a physics/math dual major with a chem minor and a physics major with a chem/math dual minor?

The main difference between these two options is the focus of the major. A physics/math dual major with a chem minor emphasizes the intersection of physics and mathematics, while also incorporating some foundational knowledge in chemistry. On the other hand, a physics major with a chem/math dual minor places a stronger emphasis on physics as the main field of study, with additional coursework in both chemistry and mathematics.

2. Is it common for students to pursue a physics/math dual major with a chem minor or a physics major with a chem/math dual minor?

It depends on the individual university and its specific programs. Some universities may offer these options as part of their regular curriculum, while others may require students to create a customized program with the help of an advisor. Generally, these combinations are not as common as traditional single majors, but they are becoming more popular as students recognize the interdisciplinary value of these fields.

3. Can I still pursue a career in physics with a chem minor or a math dual minor?

Absolutely! Having a minor in chemistry or mathematics can provide you with a well-rounded education and a diverse set of skills that are highly valued in the field of physics. Additionally, many careers in physics involve interdisciplinary work and having knowledge in related fields can be beneficial.

4. What are some potential career paths for someone with a physics/math dual major and a chem minor or a physics major with a chem/math dual minor?

With these combinations, you could potentially pursue careers in a variety of fields such as research and development, engineering, data analysis, government agencies, or teaching. Some specific job titles may include physicist, data scientist, engineer, or science teacher.

5. Are there any drawbacks to pursuing a physics/math dual major with a chem minor or a physics major with a chem/math dual minor?

One potential drawback could be the heavy workload that comes with pursuing multiple majors or minors. These combinations can be challenging and may require students to carefully plan their coursework and manage their time effectively. It is important to consider your own strengths and interests before deciding to pursue these combinations.