Translation of euler angles into rotation around arbitrary axis

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of giving a specific orientation to an object in VRML builder 2.0 using Euler angles. The solution proposed involves using an arbitrary unit vector and applying the three-angle rotation to it to get a rotated vector, which can then be used to determine the axis and angle of rotation. The conversation also mentions the use of quaternions as a powerful way to describe rotations in 3D, and suggests using a trackball or arcball for intuitive mouse rotations in VRML.
husham
i have an orientation of a 3d object in space given by theeta, si and phi i.e. angles which the objects makes with respect to three axis. Now i want to translate the
problem such that i get an arbitrary axis rotation about which to some calculated degrees would produce same orientation.

Practical Problem.
I'm trying to give a specific orientation to an object in VRML builder 2.0 for which i have information in theeta, si and phi...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know VRML (so I really don't know what theta, phi ans psi mean), but I think you should be able to try the following:

Take an arbitrary unit vector --say, the unitary X, (1,0,0)-- and apply the three-angle rotation to it (or one rotation at a time, but, if the angle description is like pitch-roll-yaw in airplanes, the order is critical), in order to get a rotated (and also unitary) vector R. Now, the cross product X x R will give you the axis of the equivalent rotation, and the dot product X . R will give you the cosine of the angle between the two vectors. So rotating this angle around the axis given by R is an equivalent rotation.

What I'm not sure is how to determine to which side you have to rotate, clockwise or counterclockwise with respect to the vector R. But I think that hacking a bit around this idea you should get it right.

Last edited:
Hi, husham, welcome to PF!

husham said:
i have an orientation of a 3d object in space given by theeta, si and phi i.e. angles which the objects makes with respect to three axis.

If you mean orientation of an axis of rotation or a direction vector, then the keyterm you want is Euler angles.

husham said:
Now i want to translate the problem such that i get an arbitrary axis rotation about which to some calculated degrees would produce same orientation.

A picture (see "Attachments" in https://www.physicsforums.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_vb_board_usage ) would really help since I am not sure I understand the question, but there are plenty of books on robot motion which probably will explain what you want to know in terminology already familiar to you. Ask here and you may hear invariant subspace and complex eigenvector and characteristic polynomial :wink: whose relevance might not be immediately apparent to you unless you've had a solid course in linear algebra (vector spaces, operators, eigenthings and all that).

Last edited by a moderator:
A powerful way of describing rotations in 3D is by the use of quaternions. These are an extension of the complex numbers with special rules for doing calculations with them. This link will give you more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternion

It is the standard in case you are working with 3D graphics. Don't be afraid of the (sometimes) lengthy calculations involved, it will turn out as a possible solution to your problem.

Edit: In case you want to rotate an object in VRML by use of the mouse, look on www for information on trackball and arcball. I found the trackball the best intuitive way of doing rotations with a mouse.

Last edited:

1. What are Euler angles?

Euler angles are a set of three angles used to represent the orientation of a rigid body in three-dimensional space. They are typically denoted as α, β, and γ and represent rotations around the body's three axes.

2. How do Euler angles relate to rotation around an arbitrary axis?

Euler angles can be converted into rotation around an arbitrary axis by using a rotation matrix. This matrix combines the three angles in a specific order to represent the rotation around the desired axis.

3. Why is converting Euler angles into rotation around an arbitrary axis useful?

This conversion is useful because it allows for more flexibility in representing rotations in three-dimensional space. It also simplifies calculations and makes it easier to visualize the resulting rotation.

4. What are the limitations of using Euler angles for rotation?

One limitation is the potential for gimbal lock, which occurs when one of the angles becomes redundant and causes a loss of one degree of freedom in the rotation. Another limitation is the potential for ambiguity, as different combinations of angles can result in the same overall rotation.

5. How can I convert Euler angles into rotation around an arbitrary axis in practice?

In practice, you can use software or programming libraries that provide functions for converting Euler angles into rotation matrices. These functions typically require you to input the three angles and the desired axis of rotation, and will output the corresponding rotation matrix.