R/C Aircraft conversion from glow to electric/solar

In summary, if you're converting your R/C aircraft to electric and solar power, consider using a brushless motor and LiPo batteries. Make sure to choose a solar panel with high efficiency and use a solar calculator to determine the output. Do thorough research and calculations to ensure successful flight and battery charging. Good luck!
herpamad
Hi

Title says what I am trying to do. I have an R/C Aircraft that was designed for a .40 glow engine and I want to convert it to electric and power it from a battery, and then solar.

I am having issues of where to go next with my project, I have done some calculations, but stuck more on fundementals.

What I am unsure of is;

1) Brushless or Brush motor?
2) Battery pack, LiPo?
3) Solar array?
----- Formula to find from solar array spec, the likely output of the solar arrays taking into account location and time of day?

I have looked over google/bing/yahoo and found some great info, but can't really find definative answers for the above. Some projects seem to go for brush, or brushless motors and don't give a justification as to why, so I am lost to know what's better.

Project has came about as all but a handful of us at the local r/c strip are using electric or silent flight, and they've called for all electric and silent from next year.

So its buy an electric plane, nice an easy. Or its convert the existing one to electric which seems a great project, and way to expand my knowledge.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet is to head towards http://www.towerhobbies.com/" [Broken]section. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi, it's great to hear that you're taking on the challenge of converting your R/C aircraft to electric and solar power! It's definitely a unique and exciting project. Here are some suggestions for your questions:

1) Brushless motors are generally more efficient and have a longer lifespan compared to brushed motors. They also have a higher power-to-weight ratio, which is important for R/C aircraft. However, they can be more expensive. It ultimately depends on your budget and preferences.

2) LiPo batteries are commonly used in R/C aircraft because they have a high energy density and can deliver a lot of power. Just make sure to choose a battery that can handle the current draw of your motor.

3) For the solar array, you'll need to consider the size and weight limitations of your aircraft. It's also important to choose a solar panel with a high enough efficiency to generate the power you need. As for finding the output of the solar array, you can use a solar calculator tool that takes into account your location and time of day. Make sure to also factor in any shading that may occur during flight.

Overall, it's important to do some thorough research and calculations to ensure that your aircraft will have enough power to fly and that the solar array can recharge the battery in a reasonable amount of time. Best of luck with your project!

1. What are the benefits of converting an R/C aircraft from glow to electric/solar?

Converting an R/C aircraft from glow to electric/solar has several benefits. First, electric/solar powered aircraft are more environmentally friendly as they do not emit harmful pollutants. Second, they are quieter and have a smoother operation compared to glow engines. Third, electric/solar aircraft are more cost-effective in the long run as they do not require expensive fuel and maintenance costs. Lastly, they provide instant torque and are more responsive, making them easier to control during flights.

2. Can any R/C aircraft be converted from glow to electric/solar?

Yes, most R/C aircraft can be converted from glow to electric/solar. However, it is important to consider the size and weight of the aircraft as well as the availability of suitable motors and batteries for the conversion. It is also recommended to consult with an experienced R/C aircraft hobbyist or a professional before attempting the conversion.

3. How do I determine the appropriate motor and battery for the conversion?

The size and weight of the aircraft will determine the type and size of the motor and battery needed for the conversion. You can use online calculators or consult with hobby shops or manufacturers for recommendations. It is important to choose a motor and battery that can provide enough power and flight time for your specific aircraft.

4. Do I need to make any modifications to the aircraft during the conversion process?

Yes, some modifications may be required to properly fit the new motor and battery in the aircraft. This may include reinforcing the structure of the aircraft or making adjustments to the propeller size and gear ratio. It is important to carefully follow instructions and seek guidance to ensure a successful conversion.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when converting an R/C aircraft from glow to electric/solar?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when converting an R/C aircraft. First, make sure to disconnect the battery before making any modifications to avoid any electrical shocks. Also, be cautious when handling and storing lithium polymer (LiPo) batteries as they can be flammable if mishandled. It is also important to regularly check the motor and battery for any signs of wear and tear and to properly maintain them for safe and efficient operation.