Understanding Stationary Points: Saddle, Max, or Min?

In summary, the conversation was about finding stationary points and determining whether they are saddle points or max/min points. The person had a question about their solution and asked for someone to go through their work. They provided their working and received a response explaining the correct way to determine saddle points using the determinant of the second derivative matrix. The person also mentioned that their lecturer had stated the opposite in their notes, but upon further research, it was confirmed that the other way around is commonly used in textbooks.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

Hi,

I have been given a set of functions for which I need to find the stationary points , and determine whether the points are saddle, or max/min.
I think I may have solved it correctly but I end up with all the points being saddle, surely this can't be right.. I may have gone wrong with my arithmetic. Can anyone go through my working. Appreciate the replies.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] f(x,y) = x^4 +(2x^2)y -4x^2 +3y^2 [/itex]

[itex]F_{x}[/itex] = [itex]4x^3 +4xy-8x [/itex]
[itex]F_{y}[/itex] =[itex]2x^2+6y [/itex]
[itex]F_{xx}[/itex]12x^2 +4y -8
[itex]F_{yy}[/itex]6
[itex]F_{yx}[/itex]4x

The definition which I have used for delta/ determinant is : If Δ > 0 then stationary points are saddle i.e [itex]f_{xy}^2[/itex] - [itex]f_{xx}[/itex] * [itex]f_{yy}[/itex]

The points which I get are the following:
Re arranging (eq.1) and using eq. 2 (2x^2 = -6y)
4x^3 +4xy-8x (eq.1)
=>
x(4x^2 +4y-8) = 0
x[ (2x^2 +2x^2 ]+4y-8 = 0
x[ (-6y-6y) +4y -8] =0
x(-12+4y-8) = 0

x = 0 , -8y = 8 , y=-1
Points are:
(0,0) , (+/√3, -1)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ibysaiyan said:

Homework Statement

Hi,

I have been given a set of functions for which I need to find the stationary points , and determine whether the points are saddle, or max/min.
I think I may have solved it correctly but I end up with all the points being saddle, surely this can't be right.. I may have gone wrong with my arithmetic. Can anyone go through my working. Appreciate the replies.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] f(x,y) = x^4 +(2x^2)y -4x^2 +3y^2 [/itex]

[itex]F_{x}[/itex] = [itex]4x^3 +4xy-8x [/itex]
[itex]F_{y}[/itex] =[itex]2x^2+6y [/itex]
[itex]F_{xx}[/itex]12x^2 +4y -8
[itex]F_{yy}[/itex]6
[itex]F_{yx}[/itex]4x

The definition which I have used for delta/ determinant is : If Δ > 0 then stationary points are saddle i.e [itex]f_{xy}^2[/itex] - [itex]f_{xx}[/itex] * [itex]f_{yy}[/itex]
You have this exactly backwards- the stationary points are saddles if Δ< 0.
The point is that [itex]f_{xy}^2- f_{xx}f_{yy}[/itex] is the determinant of the "second derivative matrix"
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}f_{xx}& f_{xy} \\ f_{xy} & f_{yy}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
of course that determinant is independent of the coordinate system- and since this is a symmetric matrix, there exist a coordinate system in which it is diagonal. That is there exist a coordinate system in which the matrix is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}f_{xx} & 0 \\ 0 & f_{yy}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which means that, locally, it is like [itex]f_{xx}x^2+ f_{yy}y^2[/itex]. If the determinant is negative, one of those coefficients is positive, the other negative, a saddle point. If the determinant is positive, the coefficients are either both positive, a local minimum, or both negative, a local maximum.

The points which I get are the following:
Re arranging (eq.1) and using eq. 2 (2x^2 = -6y)
4x^3 +4xy-8x (eq.1)
=>
x(4x^2 +4y-8) = 0
x[ (2x^2 +2x^2 ]+4y-8 = 0
x[ (-6y-6y) +4y -8] =0
x(-12+4y-8) = 0

x = 0 , -8y = 8 , y=-1
Points are:
(0,0) , (+/√3, -1)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You have this exactly backwards- the stationary points are saddles if Δ< 0.
The point is that [itex]f_{xy}^2- f_{xx}f_{yy}[/itex] is the determinant of the "second derivative matrix"
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}f_{xx}& f_{xy} \\ f_{xy} & f_{yy}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
of course that determinant is independent of the coordinate system- and since this is a symmetric matrix, there exist a coordinate system in which it is diagonal. That is there exist a coordinate system in which the matrix is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}f_{xx} & 0 \\ 0 & f_{yy}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which means that, locally, it is like [itex]f_{xx}x^2+ f_{yy}y^2[/itex]. If the determinant is negative, one of those coefficients is positive, the other negative, a saddle point. If the determinant is positive, the coefficients are either both positive, a local minimum, or both negative, a local maximum.

Hi there,
You see on my lecturer's note I can clearly see that he has stated that when a coordinate system has Δ >0 then it's a saddle point , he did mention that " some books use the expression the other way around" , which I have confirmed upon browsing.

Could he be wrong? Also thanks for your in-depth answer ( as always).

1. What is the definition of multivariate points?

The term multivariate points refers to a set of data points that have multiple dimensions or variables. Each data point has a value for each of the variables, making it a multidimensional dataset.

2. How are multivariate points different from univariate points?

Univariate points only have one variable or dimension, while multivariate points have multiple variables. This means that multivariate points can capture more complex relationships and patterns in the data compared to univariate points.

3. What are some common examples of multivariate points?

Some common examples of multivariate points include stock market data, where each data point has variables such as price, volume, and market capitalization, and medical data, where each data point can have variables such as age, height, weight, and various health indicators.

4. How are multivariate points represented and analyzed?

Multivariate points are typically represented as vectors in a multidimensional space, with each dimension representing a variable. They can be analyzed using various statistical and machine learning techniques, such as principal component analysis and cluster analysis, to identify patterns and relationships between the variables.

5. What are the benefits of using multivariate points in data analysis?

Using multivariate points allows for a more comprehensive and accurate analysis of complex datasets. It also helps to identify hidden relationships and patterns that may not be apparent when looking at each variable individually. This can lead to better decision-making and insights in various fields, including science, business, and healthcare.