Sum to Product Trigonometric identity does not work

In summary, the trigonometric identity for sum to product does not always work due to potential rounding errors in calculations. However, the identity is still true and can be verified using other trigonometric formulas. It is suggested that calculators and programs provide answers with appropriate precision to avoid misleading results.
CraigH
"Sum to Product" Trigonometric identity does not work

Hi,

The identity

[itex]sin(u) + sin(v) = 2 * sin (\frac{u+v}{2}) * cos(\frac{u-v}{2})[/itex]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities#Product-to-sum_and_sum-to-product_identities

Does not always work. I put the equation :

[itex](sin(u) + sin(v)) - (2 * sin (\frac{u+v}{2}) * cos(\frac{u-v}{2}))[/itex]

With u equal to -4.1 and v equal to 99 into wolfram alpha and it gave me the answer -1.11022x10^-16
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x%3D%28sin%28-4.1%29%2Bsin%2899%29%29-%28%282*sin%28%28-4.1%2B99%29%2F2%29*cos%28%28-4.1-99%29%2F2%29%29%29

If the identity is true, shouldn't the answer always be 0?

What's going on here?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It seems like a rounding error to me. You can verify that the identity is in fact always true by using the half angle and angle addition formulae.

The problem is not that the formula doesn't work, but with the fact that your calculator is incapable of precisely calculating the sine or cosine of an angle.

Ah okay, thank you for answering.
One thing though... If wolfram alpha knows that it can only calculate the sine or cosine of an angle to a certain precision, shouldn't it give the final answer to that precision, or less, so that it avoids giving misleading answers like the one it gave me.

CraigH said:
Ah okay, thank you for answering.
One thing though... If wolfram alpha knows that it can only calculate the sine or cosine of an angle to a certain precision, shouldn't it give the final answer to that precision, or less, so that it avoids giving misleading answers like the one it gave me.

It would be better if they did that. But I've never seen a calculator doing it. They rather count on the users to know about the fallibility of the program.

1. Why does the Sum to Product Trigonometric identity not work?

The Sum to Product Trigonometric identity does not work because it only applies to certain trigonometric functions and does not work for all possible combinations of trigonometric functions. Additionally, it is only applicable when the sum of the angles is a specific value.

2. Can the Sum to Product Trigonometric identity be used for all trigonometric functions?

No, the Sum to Product Trigonometric identity only applies to certain trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It does not work for other trigonometric functions like secant, cosecant, and cotangent.

3. How do I know when to use the Sum to Product Trigonometric identity?

The Sum to Product Trigonometric identity can be used when you have a sum of trigonometric functions and need to rewrite it as a product of trigonometric functions. It is typically used when solving trigonometric equations or simplifying expressions.

4. What is the formula for the Sum to Product Trigonometric identity?

The formula for the Sum to Product Trigonometric identity is: sin(A) + sin(B) = 2*sin((A+B)/2)*cos((A-B)/2). This formula can also be applied to cosine and tangent functions by replacing the sine function with the respective function.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Sum to Product Trigonometric identity?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Sum to Product Trigonometric identity. It can only be used when the sum of the angles is a specific value, and it only applies to certain trigonometric functions. Also, in some cases, the resulting product may not be easily simplified and may require further manipulation.